Just your thoughts and opinion on things.

In my opinion, people need to stop telling me I need a CI.

At my neighbor's party, one of her friends had a CI but didnt sign. I didnt know that she had a deaf friend and my hubby had been talking to him while I was at my party. He introduced me to him and said that he has a CI..I was like "Nice to meet u" using both sign and speech and he told me that he doesnt know sign language and that he has a CI. I was like "Ok whatever "so I proceeded to chat with my neighbor and her friends. Since it was dark, I missed some bits and bits of conversations so the guy tapped me and asked me if I would get a CI and I said that I didnt want to talk about the CI..wasnt interested. U know what he said? He said I should get one cuz it would open up a new world for me. I flipped out...I really resent it when people do that to me. Later on, my hubby told me that the guy had been telling him I should get one and my hubby told him that I am fine and happy and he told him that I cant be happy as a deaf person. I really resent people who think that way. Just my opinion.

At my neighbor's party, one of her friends had a CI but didnt sign. I didnt know that she had a deaf friend and my hubby had been talking to him while I was at my party. He introduced me to him and said that he has a CI..I was like "Nice to meet u" using both sign and speech and he told me that he doesnt know sign language and that he has a CI. I was like "Ok whatever "so I proceeded to chat with my neighbor and her friends. Since it was dark, I missed some bits and bits of conversations so the guy tapped me and asked me if I would get a CI and I said that I didnt want to talk about the CI..wasnt interested. U know what he said? He said I should get one cuz it would open up a new world for me. I flipped out...I really resent it when people do that to me. Later on, my hubby told me that the guy had been telling him I should get one and my hubby told him that I am fine and happy and he told him that I cant be happy as a deaf person. I really resent people who think that way. Just my opinion.

Some people just don't understand that some of us are content and happy with the way we are.

Can't fix something that isn't broken.

:werd: my ex's mom did same to me. I didn't bother to explain it to her. :roll: I also hate it whenever I go to see audiologist (usually different person each time), they ask if I want CI. Obviously I said no and she just shrugged and wrote a huge "NO CI" or something on the file. :roll:

He said I should get one cuz it would open up a new world for me.

I would have told him learning sign language opens you up to a whole new world.

I'm glad you didn't buy into his speech -- that guy shouldn't be telling you how to live your life.

i know how you feel, shel. i have the same thing happen to me whenever people tell me that i should have surgery on my eyes. they don't seem to understand that i'm perfectly content as a totally blind person. i don't *need* to see, have no desire to see (although sometimes i am curious about what it's like), but they don't seem to understand that. it infuriates me sometimes. <mad>

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO--I would've been p'o.

:werd: my ex's mom did same to me. I didn't bother to explain it to her. :roll: I also hate it whenever I go to see audiologist (usually different person each time), they ask if I want CI. Obviously I said no and she just shrugged and wrote a huge "NO CI" or something on the file. :roll:

Did you ask her to see your file to see what she wrote in it?

wow. i've been lucky in the 10 years i had severe-profound hearing loss none of my audis ever asked me about getting a ci. when i opted for ci's, it was entirely my own decision and one that took me 6 months to make.

My stepson age 13 got cellphone, we bought it for him with his mom's permission so he and his dad and I, we can all chat on text or Mixit.. But his school and his stepdad are strict, he is only allowed to use it after scool and not after 8 at night. works for us! But you know who are the worst with cellphones, are my Deaf friends! If I don't text them back within 5 minutes they get so pissed off!

i know how you feel, shel. i have the same thing happen to me whenever people tell me that i should have surgery on my eyes. they don't seem to understand that i'm perfectly content as a totally blind person. i don't *need* to see, have no desire to see (although sometimes i am curious about what it's like), but they don't seem to understand that. it infuriates me sometimes. <mad>

Yes I understand that, I have delayed focussing - which means that if I look at something close for 5+ minutes, it becomes clear and sharp. But then when I have to look away at something further, I can't see it. So I'm really bad with faces, people have to walk towards me so I can recognise body language.

I live in a world that has soft edges and blurry bits, and I like it just fine that way...when people tell me I should have eye surgery, I think, For what? To make YOUR life easier? 'cos it sure wouldn't improve mine.

And yes, I had glasses which "helped" a bit, but I stopped wearing them. I work as an artist, and with the glasses I couldn't paint anymore. Go figure!

Yes I understand that, I have delayed focussing - which means that if I look at something close for 5+ minutes, it becomes clear and sharp. But then when I have to look away at something further, I can't see it. So I'm really bad with faces, people have to walk towards me so I can recognise body language.

I live in a world that has soft edges and blurry bits, and I like it just fine that way...when people tell me I should have eye surgery, I think, For what? To make YOUR life easier? 'cos it sure wouldn't improve mine.

And yes, I had glasses which "helped" a bit, but I stopped wearing them. I work as an artist, and with the glasses I couldn't paint anymore. Go figure!

i'm glad i'm not alone. i know *exactly* what you mean about people wanting you to make their lives easier.

off-topic...

what kind of art do you do?

I paint large-scale realistic murals and do paint finishes for money, but I paint in oil on board for myself (and sometimes I sell that stuff too! )

I paint large-scale realistic murals and do paint finishes for money, but I paint in oil on board for myself (and sometimes I sell that stuff too! )

my aunt and mom told me that they do not oil-paint anymore long time ago because of its harmful effect.

Did you ask her to see your file to see what she wrote in it?

oh it was just a simple record of our conversation, audiograms, and some stuff. I can see it on her table.

Cool. I do water colors and chalk pastels.

Exactly my feelings on CI. One shouldn't push it on other people. I consider that to be very rude.

IMO

The WII is so much fun.

A lot better than sitting on your rump and playing.

IMO

The WII is so much fun.

A lot better than sitting on your rump and playing.

IMO, the Wii is AWESOME !!! My boyfriend has it and we play it whenever he's feeling good enough to play. (Or I bowl all by myself - I hold the record for bowling in his house at the moment!) :D

IMO, the Wii is AWESOME !!! My boyfriend has it and we play it whenever he's feeling good enough to play. (Or I bowl all by myself - I hold the record for bowling in his house at the moment!) :D

Bowling is my favorite as well.

I'm pretty good myself. Tend to forget to release the ball.

:lol: still working on that since Christmas.

Back