Just your thoughts and opinion on things.

There are different degrees of protection. Protecting your child from an abusive partner versus protecting your child from raindrops falling in the sky. Protection can be good or bad--it's a matter of degree.

There are different degrees of protection. Protecting your child from an abusive partner versus protecting your child from raindrops falling in the sky. Protection can be good or bad--it's a matter of degree.

but we're talking about school-related... not abuse from family members or physical matter.

but we're talking about school-related... not abuse from family members or physical matter.

Right. But many people have expressed the opinion that an attempt to protect your child is overbearing and overprotective.

Right. But many people have expressed the opinion that an attempt to protect your child is overbearing and overprotective.

what do you call the parents who want to homeschool their children because of school shootings and bullying... and want to keep their children home at night because of automobile accidents and thugs... and want to supervise their children at all time because of possibility of kidnapping/molestation... and would not hire a babysitter cuz of possibility of abuse/molestation?

and would not hire a babysitter cuz of possibility of abuse/molestation?

I don't ever want to hire a babysitter for that exact reason.

As for shootings and so on, I personally find that overprotective because of the rarity of shootings. However molestation and abuse are very common and widespread. I don't think it's overprotective to want to protect your child from that since it's anything but rare.

what do you call the parents who want to homeschool their children because of school shootings and bullying... and want to keep their children home at night because of automobile accidents and thugs... and want to supervise their children at all time because of possibility of kidnapping/molestation... and would not hire a babysitter cuz of possibility of abuse/molestation?

I call it living a very sheltered life.
Possibly causing a child live in fear, and not have any hope in society.

IMO

As for shootings and so on, I personally find that overprotective because of the rarity of shootings. However molestation and abuse are very common and widespread. I don't think it's overprotective to want to protect your child from that since it's anything but rare.

yes completely understandable. We all want to protect our kids from harm but some parents go too far.

I think there is a balance too. The reasons I want to home school my children are not only for protection reasons. If that was the only reason I would agree with you that it's a little overprotective. But there are other reasons too which I already mentioned.

I think that not letting one's children go out is definitely overkill. Children need to experience the world.

Plus, sheltered isn't ALWAYS bad. My parents didn't let me watch T.V. until age 14 and I still came out fine. I just don't have a lot of the stereotypes ingrained in me that are often picked up from cartoons and other TV programs.

I understand.

A lot of the abuse is by people that are well known and well trusted to the family. Such as a relative.

So sick and sad.

but does that mean you keep your kids from family members and friends from watching them as well?

I understand.

A lot of the abuse is by people that are well known and well trusted to the family. Such as a relative.

So sick and sad.

but does that mean you keep your kids from family members and friends from watching them as well?

Yes. I would keep my children from an abusive family member or friend the second I found out about it. I would also be on the watch to see if there is any abuse going on. While I might not necessarily break off communication with them, I would definitely not let my kids be around them anymore.

school shooting is a RARE occurrence. To think it's everywhere and common... that is the sign of paranoia. Same thing about avoiding malls cuz of shooting. Both shootings at malls and schools are RARE in USA.

It's true shootings are rare, but I think Maria is probably talking in terms of the tallyup over the years.

I've done univ. research on this topic before in college, school shootings in the USA have grown exponentially especially since the year 2000. I don't have the report data that I typed up on hand, I lost it in a laptop HD crash, but I do remember there were some good sources immediately available on the net.

Let me see..
Here you go:

Timeline of School Shootings - US News and World Report

Converting this to statistical data, you have:
2008: 7 instances
2007: 7 instances
2006: 5 instances
2005: 2 instances
2003: 2 instances
2002: 2 instances
2001: 1 instance
2000: 4 instances
--After Columbine incident, it was the first major landmark in school shootings. Many measures in law were quickly passed to prevent things like this from happening in the future, from panicked people--
1999: 2 instances (Columbine instance <- major coverage)
1998: 5 instances
1997: 4 instances
1996: 2 instances
1995: 0 instances
1994: 1 instance
1993-1992: 0 instances
1991: 1 instance
1990: 0 instance
1989-1987: 0 instances
1986: 1 instance
1985: 2 instances

From this you can easily conclude:
2000-2008: 30
1990-1999: 15
1980-1989: 03

Using statistical math to check the numbers:
80's to 90's: 400% increase
90's to 00's (note 2000 decade isn't over yet): 100%
80's to 00's: 900% increase

It's easy to deduce, there is some reason for the sudden surge in school shootings - motives vary from expert to expert, but one thing's for certain - they will still happen.
edit: Note - these are only documented coverage, I remember reading though a lot of them. During my research, I recall there are often things that are not accounted for: Like students that actually bring a gun to school, but did not use the weapon, students with intent to kill, etc; these variables aren't factored into this.

Yes. I would keep my children from an abusive family member or friend the second I found out about it. I would also be on the watch to see if there is any abuse going on. While I might not necessarily break off communication with them, I would definitely not let my kids be around them anymore.

Of course any parent of a child in their right mind would not leave a child with a "known" abuser..

I understand.

So sick and sad.

yes it does happen a lot for child to be abused by family member/relative but... it is kind of sad and heartbreaking to constantly check for sign of abuse whenever your child comes home from relative. I can't imagine constantly thinking about the possibility of relative molesting my kid. The relative mostly is your brother/sister/cousin/your parents and same for your significant other.

I can try to establish a reputation about my stance on molestation/pedophilia. I have a shovel and shotgun in my trunk :cool2:

Of course any parent of a child in their right mind would not leave a child with a "known" abuser..

In that case I can list off the top of my head several people that aren't in their "right mind."

I can't imagine constantly thinking about the possibility of relative molesting my kid. The relative mostly is your brother/sister/cousin/your parents and same for your significant other.

It would be on my mind. It will be. I can't help it.

naisho - this school shooting subject was already exhaustively debated several months ago. I want to comment about something from your post -

From this you can easily conclude:
2000-2008: 30
1990-1999: 15
1980-1989: 03

Well obviously.... 2000-2008 is a very different time from 1990-1999 and 1980-1989 - greater population and more diversity. There are more students in schools now than before.

either way.... the incidents of school shootings in USA are STILL statistically rare. It's the media that blew this out of proportion as usual.

I get a little hostile when new people who recently lost a little hearing come to AD and tell how it hurts them when hearing people look impatient with them.

My opinion, they should think on a site for deaf people, many have dealt with this lifelong.:mad2:

Bottesini, just wants to have fun!

I know incidents are still rare -- that's what I am trying to state, with properly given statistical data that cannot be refuted: as the era chronologically progresses, more shootings (categorizing all) have occurred compared to before. Major Shootings are still a sporadic instance sort of thing. But the fact that any type of school with kids having guns blazin' akimbo has grown substantially is what I tried to solidify in my research thesis.

It's like this, the way I am trying to convey it, similar example I used in the paper:
Joe was born in 1950's. Throughout the 60's, he only heard of 1 shooting as a kid. Then in the 70s, maybe just one. In the 80s, he was reading newspapers and subconsciously tallied 3. During the 90s, when he's 40 now, he's seen that number jump to 15. Now he's 50 and has read or heard in the radio that 30 shootings have happened since 2000. He'd be like to his son: "Son, when I was a kid, we NEVER had any shootings going on." That's the kind of linear progression I am referring to. Joe can't help but think that shootings are occurring more and more as time progresses.

Yeah, the population has grown, I don't have any numbers - in retaliation, that's a probable reason to why the shootings have increased as well.

I can't speak for Maria, but I do understand her concern... That is the data I gave in response. She's probably seeing through the change in time and that's which is what influences her opinion about homeschooling, as well as a lot of the Americans who've kept up with the news.

I was a child raised in the states through the 80s, so there's not much I can contribute prior to then. Although if you have a kid now chances are you were from an older date like the 70's.

Back