Is there a such thing as "true bilingualism"?

Not at all. If you aren't going to do the follow up for a CI, don't do it.

I mean the non-invasive, typical, 20 minutes a week at a Deaf school, therapy. If they like it, fine, if not, fine. But why not give them the opportunity to see and choose?

maybe some don't believe in oralism... Just like some don't believe in forcing an tune-deaf person learn how to sing and expect her to sing like a professional.

In my experience, almost all deaf children even from deaf families have had speech therapy.

That is not my experience at all. Maybe 25% of the Deaf families I know give their children any sort of speech therapy, and even fewer do hearing aids.

That is not my experience at all. Maybe 25% of the Deaf families I know give their children any sort of speech therapy, and even fewer do hearing aids.

Lighthouse's answer was perfect. I dont know how else to answer it like she did.

Originally Posted by Lighthouse77
If it is deaf parents of deaf children, it is something they are used to... they just don't see deafness as a disability. So they have no need to "Add" anything (CI/hearing aids/spoken/etc) . It's like hearing with hearing children.. they have no need to "substract" anything (take their hearing away so they can be like deaf people)

deaf people do have speech therapy in their school, they just don't see the purpose of hyperfocusing on hearing. and yes, they do speak but they don't really want to.

Lighthouse's answer was perfect. I dont know how else to answer it like she did.

Originally Posted by Lighthouse77
If it is deaf parents of deaf children, it is something they are used to... they just don't see deafness as a disability. So they have no need to "Add" anything (CI/hearing aids/spoken/etc) . It's like hearing with hearing children.. they have no need to "substract" anything (take their hearing away so they can be like deaf people)

I just don't think it is right to deny a child the opportunity to develop what could be a useful tool for their everyday life.

you mean, tools to make "hearing" people happy?

Like I stated before..different cultural values and people wonder why Deaf and hearing cultures and values clash the way they do.

deaf people do have speech therapy in their school, they just don't see the purpose of hyperfocusing on hearing. and yes, they do speak but they don't really want to.

I am telling you, of the Deaf of Deaf kids in our bi-bi school, 1 wears a single hearing aid, the rest are unamplified and greater than 75% have never had a single speech therapy session, in or out of school.

And that is their parent's decision, but Shel asked what I thought, and I answered.

you mean, tools to make "hearing" people happy?

No, not at all, but if you don't a piece of paper, being able to ask "where's the bathroom" could be useful.

OR, maybe you don't learn a damn thing and you stop after a month. At least you had the opportunity to see.

A bi-bi school really should be what it represents. If it is a deaf school, then I hope they call it deaf school and not bi-bi. Like I like hope a baptist church is a baptist church and not some other religion using it's name.

I am telling you, of the Deaf of Deaf kids in our bi-bi school, 1 wears a single hearing aid, the rest are unamplified and greater than 75% have never had a single speech therapy session, in or out of school.

And that is their parent's decision, but Shel asked what I thought, and I answered.

Believe it or not, there are hearing parents who are the same way. They dont believe that their deaf child should be forced to speak.

A bi-bi school really should be what it represents. If it is a deaf school, then I hope they call it deaf school and not bi-bi. Like I like hope a baptist church is a baptist church and not some other religion using it's name.

All deaf schools except for the oral schools are BiBi in nature..it would be illegal for a school not to teach students written English.

No, not at all, but if you don't a piece of paper, being able to ask "where's the bathroom" could be useful.

OR, maybe you don't learn a damn thing and you stop after a month. At least you had the opportunity to see.

you better hope these people understand you, or you end up writing on a piece a paper anyway.

I write my orders all the time because my speech is not all that clear to people (like a toddler or something) and I'm a oral-only deaf.

I wouldn't waste my time missing the opportunity to learn ASL either.

Then go bawl those parents out.

Nope, totally their right and their choice. We disagree, but without judgement. They are doing what they think is right, and so am I. They support me, and I support them. Each family must make the decisions for themselves. I know what I believe, but that doesn't matter.

I only answered because I was directly asked. I support all parents and their choices for their families*, even if they don't align with my own beliefs.

(*assuming it is working for the child)

All deaf schools except for the oral schools are BiBi in nature..it would be illegal for a school not to teach students written English.

yes, that's the whole purpose of going to school.... to learn how to read and write, do math, science, etc. Just to learn in general.

you better hope these people understand you, or you end up writing on a piece a paper anyway.

I write my orders all the time because my speech is not all that clear to people (like a toddler or something) and I'm a oral deaf.

I wouldn't waste my time missing the opportunity to learn ASL either.

And I never advocated not learning ASL either.

Believe it or not, there are hearing parents who are the same way. They dont believe that their deaf child should be forced to speak.

Of course there are, but I'm not talking about "forcing a child to speak".

Of course there are, but I'm not talking about "forcing a child to speak".

Just stating on what they have said about their reasons for why not giving their deaf children speech classes.

Back