Is there a such thing as "true bilingualism"?

I have noticed that in the last 2 months I have actually been exactly 1/2 and 1/2. I am very comfortable switching back and forth between English and ASL and can do so with ease. The interpreters I work with are used to be switching back and forth, sometimes mid-sentence. I just have taken to using which ever language communicates my thought most clearly. Of course in the Deaf community I just use ASL, and when I am just with hearing people (without an interpreter) I just speak and lip read. I definitely think I am totally comfortable with both and I am bilingual.

I can do the same too.

I have noticed that in the last 2 months I have actually been exactly 1/2 and 1/2. I am very comfortable switching back and forth between English and ASL and can do so with ease. The interpreters I work with are used to be switching back and forth, sometimes mid-sentence. I just have taken to using which ever language communicates my thought most clearly. Of course in the Deaf community I just use ASL, and when I am just with hearing people (without an interpreter) I just speak and lip read. I definitely think I am totally comfortable with both and I am bilingual.

So, how did you get there? What would you answer if asked (say, on a form) "primary language"? What about your thoughts and dreams? What language are they in?

I know what you mean about "whatever language expresses the thought most clearly", even though ASL is easily my weaker language, some ideas and stories are best in ASL!

If it is deaf parents of deaf children, it is something they are used to... they just don't see deafness as a disability. So they have no need to "Add" anything (CI/hearing aids/spoken/etc) . It's like hearing with hearing children.. they have no need to "substract" anything (take their hearing away so they can be like deaf people)

:gpost:

So, how did you get there? What would you answer if asked (say, on a form) "primary language"? What about your thoughts and dreams? What language are they in?

I know what you mean about "whatever language expresses the thought most clearly", even though ASL is easily my weaker language, some ideas and stories are best in ASL!

I hate that question: "first language" on applications since I have no idea what to put down.

There are some deaf people who do that but not all. Just like asking why dont hearing parents expose their hearing children to ASL. That is how it seen.

Oralism isnt as important in the Deaf community as literacy, full access to communication, information, and language as it is to hearing people. That's why the two cultures clash so often.

I know it isn't equally as important, but I'm looking for the answer as to why not give them the opportunity? Why not allow them the chance to learn a useful skill, that could help in everyday life?

I know it isn't equally as important, but I'm looking for the answer as to why not give them the opportunity? Why not allow them the chance to learn a useful skill, that could help in everyday life?

I thought Lighthouse gave a very good answer to that question.

I hate that question: "first language" on applications since I have no idea what to put down.

I am stuck on an answer for Miss Kat too. I would say that around 85-90% of her output is spoken language but if it is new or important material, it needs to be signed first.

I thought Lighthouse gave a very good answer to that question.

Maybe I am audist, but I think every deaf child deserves EVERY tool, and parents should provide them. If it will benefit a child, the parent shouldn't deny the child that chance.

Maybe I am audist, but I think every deaf child deserves EVERY tool, and parents should provide them.

Maybe your definition of tool is different from most of ours. We believe every deaf child should have full acess to language, communication and information especially in the educational setting. Oralism is just a skill.

Does that mean you believe that every deaf child even those from deaf parents should be implanted?

Maybe I am audist, but I think every deaf child deserves EVERY tool, and parents should provide them. If it will benefit a child, the parent shouldn't deny the child that chance.

Do they really? maybe for you, but for them, they may be just happy the way they are.

Maybe your definition of tool is different from most of ours. We believe every deaf child should have full acess to language, communication and information especially in the educational setting. Oralism is just a skill.

I agree. But it is a useful skill. I totally agree that ASL in the classroom is the right choice for complete access. I am asking about outside the curriculum based learning. Why deny them access to learning that skill?

I agree. But it is a useful skill. I totally agree that ASL in the classroom is the right choice for complete access. I am asking about outside the curriculum based learning. Why deny them access to learning that skill?

Many of us here on AD have supported with exposing deaf children to both. :confused:

So by asking that question if there is such thing as true bilingualism and then asking about deaf parents not giving their deaf children amplification or oral skills, are you saying that deaf people who have no oral skills but are fluent in written English/understand English are not bilingual?

Not audist; just a concerned, unsure parent.

But she is asking about deaf parents of deaf kids. How does that make her a concerned and unsure parent?

Does that mean you believe that every deaf child even those from deaf parents should be implanted?

Not at all. If you aren't going to do the follow up for a CI, don't do it.

I mean the non-invasive, typical, 20 minutes a week at a Deaf school, therapy. If they like it, fine, if not, fine. But why not give them the opportunity to see and choose?

Not at all. If you aren't going to do the follow up for a CI, don't do it.

I mean the non-invasive, typical, 20 minutes a week at a Deaf school, therapy. If they like it, fine, if not, fine. But why not give them the opportunity to see and choose?

In my experience, almost all deaf children even from deaf families have had speech therapy.

But she is asking about deaf parents of deaf kids. How does that make her a concerned and unsure parent?

You have to remember everytime we post, the post is a reflection of ourselves.

As for Deaf of Deaf, most parents are already aware of the the world. I means... we have a few Deaf of Deaf members on here on this forum that can speak, so I am not worried about THEM. I am more worried about the deaf of hearing parents that haven't walked a mile in a deaf shoe.

Many of us here on AD have supported with exposing deaf children to both. :confused:

So by asking that question if there is such thing as true bilingualism and then asking about deaf parents not giving their deaf children amplification or oral skills, are you saying that deaf people who have no oral skills but are fluent in written English/understand English are not bilingual?

Nope, those are 2 totally different topics. The discussion evolved and moved away from my original topic.

Back