Institutions for Deaf with problem social ??

There's a local ministry here for deaf people in the prison system. It's a serious problem.

That is great. And I agree, it is a very serious problem. Deaf prisoner's rights are trampled on consistently.

????? Just making a comment that "drphil"'s attitude is similar to the attitudes of those who do such things. Only different in intensity.

Never mind. Should have read further. LOL

Thanks Aurelie.

In Canada the Federal government operates prisons for those sentenced
over 2 years for crimes. Not sure the exact numbers in Federal prisons at the moment but understand substantial less than say the United States. Of this segment-not sure if the deaf/Deaf make up what percentage?

The Province operates prisons for those sentenced to LESS THAN 2 years. no up to date info on how many are incarcerated today. No direct interest to me. Again, no breakdown of how many are deaf/Deaf of this population.

As for "substance abuse" re the deaf/Deaf/Hard of hearing in prisons/outside not exactly much discussion in newspapers-at least here in Toronto where I live.

Oddly enough, it is my understanding that Quebec has the LOWEST incarceration rate of all Canadian Provinces. Seems some "conservatives" are upset over this-at least according to newspaper reports.

I have noted this before, I am retired at the moment.

Again Aurelie much success in your new journey.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony Activated Aug/07

In all prisons, the Deaf have a disproportionately large population. Just as other minorities do. It is a sociological phenomenae.

Please, all people can post here...
I dont see problem with Drphill, i dont understand why some of you said to ignore him... :roll:

MCB, thank you for others website.. But it is school...
But i want deaf without job, or become "bad", or do violence, they can age start 16years old to 99 years old...
Example for hearing, some educators go to street and meet people, talk with them, give to them some idea.... And for deaf, it have ?

Drphil, yes i can go to UK or Germany or others. Only i want to know where are the places about my dream....

My friend give something in UK.. Maybe you can be interested :
bid services
Deaf Info - Towards Equity and Access report

I send mail to WFD, maybe they know.... :aw:

Thank you for your encouragements...

Good day !

This is quite an undertaking for one person. I would suggest that you try to become involved with organizations that specifically provide social services to the disadvantaged, and from there, become acquainted with the deaf that are included in that population. Deafness is low incidence, so you will not find many organizations dedicated to deaf homelessness, or deaf street children. They fall into the larger category of homelessness or street children as an all encompassing topic. I suggest you begin approaching organizations and let them know of your desires to help this specific population. Perhaps you can find an internship that will help you learn more about the topics in general. Then, as you learn more about deafness, you can apply the general knowledge is a specific way to the deaf.

You have some monumental goals. I think as you learn more, you will find yourself narrowing your topic a great deal. It is almost impossible to research as broad a topic as you propose.

Good luck on your efforts. We are always here for advice.

BTW: the reason that you have been told to ignore drphil is because he is very uninformed regarding deaf social issues and will give you innacurrate information. For a project such as you propose, it is mandatory that you receive accurrate information, and that you receive it from the population you wish to be of service to: The Deaf.

Presumably the "study of bigotry" would entail the limits of what is defined as "bigotry" within what framework?
Dictionary definition: N-a person who holds an opinion or beliefs obstinately and is intolerant to those who do not. Oxford Canadian.
Guess we wait till Aurelie returns.

Implanted Advanced bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

All studies have an operational definition that is specific to the topic being studied and specific to that particular study.

As noted before- extensive discussion of my alleged "ignorance" by Jillio even when talking about the country I live in -Canada.

Why such extensive comments-if "only deemed uninformed"? What would Clinical psychology impute to such a driving compulsiveness to respond in such massive verbiage"?

I stand behind every comment I made. Perhaps the US does have a deaf/Deaf prison population in dire need. What is the local deaf/Deaf associations doing about this?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Last edited:
Oh well Aurelie hope you can try to get a longer time for "field trip" in your special study of more than stated 2 months.

Good luck

Last edited:
Hi Aurelie: I didn't recall much discussion re: deaf persons in federal prisons getting "special assistance".Never mentioned in any newspaper as a "problem". Don't recall any Deaf group making any comment if this is a problem.
I also don't recall much discussion re: deaf persons in federal prisons getting "special assistance". Nor remember reading anything in the newspapers of a "problem" or know if any Deaf group made any comment if this is a problem. THEREFORE, I didn't post a reply. Because any reply I might have posted would not have been helpful to the OP.

I'm really trying to understand Dr. Phil's posts but they are like "word salad" to me.

As I mentioned earlier, we have a local deaf church that has a prison ministry. In addition, this church runs a deaf center that offers a wide variety of programs, including computer training, addiction recovery, ASL instruction, math/reading instruction, and counseling. Pretty much whatever the deaf community needs. There are also some new immigrants who are learning ASL and how to adjust to the U.S. It's very heartwarming to see how excited they are about their new opportunities after being in a refugee camp for about a decade.

Well in the world of politics-if there is a major problem- "deaf/Deaf/BlindDeaf persons in prisons" usually widely discussed in newspapers/TV. Correct?

I acknowledge that the US has a much higher incarceration rate than Canada which may include the deaf/Deaf/BlindDeaf persons-exact numbers?

Since alldeaf.com is world-wide is Europe /Asia/South American countries in the same positions having "excess" persons incarcerated in their prisons who are deaf/Deaf/BlindDeaf?

Don't recall if the Ontario Association for the Deaf have made any comment on this "problem" either.

Is it just a "computer discussion" here only? I have mentioned before-not having been in prison-no direct knowledge of how many/if any persons-deaf/Deaf/BlindDeaf are incarcerated.

Neat way to avoid any discussion on points raised-label "Word salad"? Organic?

Why respond?

What happened to Aurelie?

Last edited:
I did respond. I specifically described how people meet the needs of the deaf community where I live. Did you even read it? :crazy:

sallylou: I read your comment re: local church activities. This thread is about Aurelie's potential 2 month "field trip"-next year.

Whether your local church's activities meet her criteria is up to her-to decide.

sallylou: I read your comment re: local church activities. This thread is about Aurelie's potential 2 month "field trip"-next year.

Whether your local church's activities meet her criteria is up to her-to decide.

yo,

I would like to take this time to inform you directly - you have TOTALLY NO KNOWLEDGE in this aspect, and you should butt out of this thread.

The reason you havent read anything in the newspapers is the simple fact the deaf usually cant communicate with the outside world from the jail. And when they get out, they want to "forget jail" and put it behind them.

I know this for a fact because I've been jailed.

Alright?

Oh well Aurelie hope you can try to get a longer time for "field trip" in your special study of more than stated 2 months.

Good luck

Agreed. A study like this would take 5 years or more to complete.

As noted before- extensive discussion of my alleged "ignorance" by Jillio even when talking about the country I live in -Canada.

Why such extensive comments-if "only deemed uninformed"? What would Clinical psychology impute to such a driving compulsiveness to respond in such massive verbiage"?

I stand behind every comment I made. Perhaps the US does have a deaf/Deaf prison population in dire need. What is the local deaf/Deaf associations doing about this?

It is being mentioned because you have demonstrated, time and time and time again, that you compulsively reply to topics on which you have virtually no knowledge. My motive...preventing others from continuing with some of the mistaken ideas you have regarding the deaf population. If you post something incorrect about the deaf population, I will correct it. It is called advocacy.

The solution? Start learning and stop trying to teach those things about which you have no knowledge nor experience.

I'm really trying to understand Dr. Phil's posts but they are like "word salad" to me.

As I mentioned earlier, we have a local deaf church that has a prison ministry. In addition, this church runs a deaf center that offers a wide variety of programs, including computer training, addiction recovery, ASL instruction, math/reading instruction, and counseling. Pretty much whatever the deaf community needs. There are also some new immigrants who are learning ASL and how to adjust to the U.S. It's very heartwarming to see how excited they are about their new opportunities after being in a refugee camp for about a decade.

Agreed sallylou. And that "word salad" is one of the criteria used in diagnosing a very serious mental disorder. I am beginning to wonder seriously...

Back