Institutions for Deaf with problem social ??

drphil, if I can spell your name correctly, you can spell my name correctly.

The majority of members here do not believe anything you say. You do not believe in ASL and do not see the purpose of using it. You won't bother using the language and I wonder why you are here when you do not believe in Deaf Culture itself.

I offered to meet with you and you, yourself, told me you would not meet "weirdos, freaks" off the internet.

Toronto is far from a small or quaint town, its a major metropolitian city where a LOT of Deaf and DeafBlind people live in. How you manage to bypass so many Deaf people when they converse in ASL on the TTC or the streets of Toronto, you must wonder what they are talking about.

I do not believe anything you say because I read between your sentences, you come here because you are lonely, trapped between two worlds. I actually pity you because when a person persistently states they are "Off to the real world", it is actually a fictionalized part of their mind.

I wish you well in body, mind and spirit.. really I do.

If there was an opportunity to meet you and the other, I would do it in a beat! I would love to get together with you in person!

Same for the others whom I respect.

Gee - I guess I am also "bilaterally" deaf as well. Do I let it bother me? NO! Do I see a need for ASL? yes!! Do I try to participate in my local Deaf community? Yes!! Do I believe there is a Deaf Culture? Yes!! How long did I know I would be total deaf at some point? 38 years!! Did I ever think about a CI? No way!! Not for me. I'm not a candidate anyway. I would never tell anyone else not to get it for themselves, whoever, they should still learn ASL or BSL or whatever their sign language is for their area.

Been bilaterally deaf since birth...it doesnt bother me.

It's a shame. I used to visit Toronto frequently (I am from MN) but I have friends/classmates from there. But I haven't been up there in about 4 years now. If I do get up there again, would love to meet Mrs. Bucket !

Glad you like Toronto AlleyCat. There seems to be few people here as well.

Mrs Bucket: at no time have I ever said my "middle age" was the reason for not continuing to learn Introductory ASL way back in 1996/97.
To the best of knowledge WIChat is completely separate from alldeaf.com. I understand does attract a variety persons you claim to be weirdos etc. Hardly a label I applied to you. Why would I? Too bad you don't follow your own advice.

MCB all ready live in the "larger world" now.

Implanted Advanced Bionics_harmony activated Aug/07

jillio, placing drphil on the ignore list helps.

You know sometimes when you try so hard to train an old dog new tricks, it just won't work. The same concept applies to drphil, it won't work for several reasons. He's very closed-minded and still stuck in the hearing world.

Sadly, he reminds me of my Gpa. Growing up Gpa always said he was too old to learn ASL. We tried teaching him the ABC's and he'd say "I'm too old!!", my younger cousins arrived and he said the very same old excuse "I'm too old!!", well.. at his deathbed he admitted his biggest regret. He wished he had learned ASL with his own children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

That's the attitude I get from drphil, his excuse is he's too old to learn ASL, too old to be immersed in Deaf Culture when it's only him and his attitude that's stopping him from progressing socially, educationally, emotionally and so on.

I offered to meet him and he refused stating he would never meet "weirdos/freaks" in real life which is ironic because he subscribes to a forum that has categories such as weirdos, freaks and so on.

I really do wish drphil well and placing him on ignore helps as the new ignore feature blocks his replies too as well.

Laissez faire, drphil. ("Live and let live") Instead of dictating to all of us how to live our lives, try living your own for once.

You know, you have given me some very sound advise. I have not placed him on ignore yet because I have faith in an individual's ability to change throughout the lifespan. You have just reminded me however, that just because an individual has the ability to change doesn't mean that they have the courage to do so. Thank you for reminding me of that.:wave:

Mrs. Bucket, from my perspective, an opportunity to meet and discuss with you would be fun and enlightening. It was very kind of you to offer.

As I bet you've encountered too, Jillio, sometimes people in general are so steeped in their own selves or their own part of the world that they can't even see out. They have their own story and can't or don't want to know anyone else's. Their story is very comforting to them.
For me, I think it is important to know the stories of many people so that I can learn from them.

You area absolutely correct. So many times, it involves showing others that they are not alone as they believe they are, nor are they unique. There are many others who encounter the same things on a daily basis. Normally, this is an empowering experience for the individual, and they are grateful to finally learn that they are not alone. For some, however, it is a threatening experience, because they have become convinced, for whatever reason, that they are unique and special. I could go into some of the reasons for this misperception, and the need to hang onto it, but it would take more room than the forum has.:giggle:

You have the correct attitude regarding the stories of others, and it shows not just in your statement, but in the growth I have seen in you over time.

AlleyCat: apparently Mrs Bucket used to live in least York- a former section of old Metro Toronto. It has merged into the City Of Toronto a few years ago.
Good luck in finding her.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

AlleyCat: apparently Mrs Bucket used to live in least York- a former section of old Metro Toronto. It has merged into the City Of Toronto a few years ago.
Good luck in finding her.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Wouldn't need much of luck finding her. Even I can send her a message and I'm pretty confident that I will be able to meet up with her without issues.

Oh well back on topic- Aurelie: Your 2 month field trip next year. Any ideas "firmed up" yet?

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony Aug/07

Back