I'm Upset...

But you need to get actively involved. That is passive. Believe me that I am working with some major handicaps, and I still get out and do this.

I buy and give. I go in to my animal shelter and give money and take supplies.

We personally collect and donate to the women's shelter.

If every person would actually do one little thing for someone else, the world would improve.

Physically get out there and do something.

Change begins with one. We all need to start taking a more collective attitude. Our society would improve several times over.

I am...

But you need to get actively involved. That is passive. Believe me that I am working with some major handicaps, and I still get out and do this.

I buy and give. I go in to my animal shelter and give money and take supplies.

We personally collect and donate to the women's shelter.

If every person would actually do one little thing for someone else, the world would improve.

Physically get out there and do something.

I do volunteer several hours a week at animal shelters and I take supplies to them. I also donate toys to children that come from abusive homes.
Now that I have found out this place is throwing things out I have made several trips to retrieve items (including to buy) and donate them to a better place.
But now that Im moving I cant continue to do that, so writing (being passive) is better then nothing.

I do volunteer several hours a week at animal shelters and I take supplies to them. I also donate toys to children that come from abusive homes.
Now that I have found out this place is throwing things out I have made several trips to retrieve items (including to buy) and donate them to a better place.
But now that Im moving I cant continue to do that, so writing (being passive) is better then nothing.

You might also suggest that they give out vouchers to homeless shelters and DV safe houses for a certain amount. Sort of like a gift card. That is what the Goodwill does here, and also the consignment shop that sells business attire for women. Then the couselors give the vouchers to clients as they are needed. The women can go get what they need, and it helps them feel empowered because they are actually choosing what they need and making plans. The voucher system also helps the store to move that merchandise without having to actually sort it and donate it.

That's good. Hopefully you can get reinvolved with good works in your new home.

You might also suggest that they give out vouchers to homeless shelters and DV safe houses for a certain amount. Sort of like a gift card. That is what the Goodwill does here, and also the consignment shop that sells business attire for women. Then the couselors give the vouchers to clients as they are needed. The women can go get what they need, and it helps them feel empowered because they are actually choosing what they need and making plans. The voucher system also helps the store to move that merchandise without having to actually sort it and donate it.

I will mention that.
Never thought of something like that.:ty:

be positive help your solve support we are provide you help resolve question to me cocern we are support to you :D :D I hope be you happy and positive strong focus positive life! :D

It's a charity store. Not everything will sell, and they don't always know what will and what won't.

They don't have an infinite amount of space. Sometimes our old stuff just needs a place to go die; that's pretty much the reality of it.

Oh my gosh, anything will go marked down 90% off.
even better

"END OF (whatever) SPECIAL! everything on this rack must go - 10 items for 50 cents!"

instead of just throwing it away!
or ~the best~ as someone suggested - donate to:
~ abused women shelter
~ homeless shelter
~ foster kids shelter
~ whatever shelter

It is asinine what St Vince is doing!

Fuzzy

Oh my gosh, anything will go marked down 90% off.
even better

"END OF (whatever) SPECIAL! everything on this rack must go - 10 items for 50 cents!"

instead of just throwing it away!
or ~the best~ as someone suggested - donate to:
~ abused women shelter
~ homeless shelter
~ foster kids shelter
~ whatever shelter

It is asinine what St Vince is doing!

Fuzzy

Sadly, the stuff is already marked down. They sale clothes $1 per pound, and toys 0.35 cents a pound, purses are 0.25 cents each.
Then bikes are $3, electronics varies on what it is, and other things are marked way down.
It still doesnt sell. But they still should donate to other shelters, and not just throw it away.
This stuff is nice and could be used by other people.

I'm sure they would appreciate your help if you care to volunteer a couple days a month, calling other shelters to see if they want the unsold items. That would be a win/win situation: the stuff can go to someplace useful, and you can put your ideas into action.

Freecycle is a very resourceful system if you ask me, even better than the Thrift stores.

Sadly, the stuff is already marked down. They sale clothes $1 per pound, and toys 0.35 cents a pound, purses are 0.25 cents each.
Then bikes are $3, electronics varies on what it is, and other things are marked way down.
It still doesnt sell. But they still should donate to other shelters, and not just throw it away.
This stuff is nice and could be used by other people

I see.
Then I agree - donate to shelters!

as a last resort - put up bins marked "free stuff" in the alleys where homeless frequents. It will disappear in no time.

Free-cycling is a good idea, too.
anything but throwing it in the garbage!

even the art school can use fabric and stuff as an art supply.
For example, wool and fabric scrap can be made into hooked rugs..

Fuzzy

Freecycle is a very resourceful system if you ask me, even better than the Thrift stores.

Yes it is. But in this commercially focused society, it is difficult to get started. Everyone thinks items all need some sort of price tag on them.:roll:

I see.
Then I agree - donate to shelters!

as a last resort - put up bins marked "free stuff" in the alleys where homeless frequents. It will disappear in no time.

Free-cycling is a good idea, too.
anything but throwing it in the garbage!

even the art school can use fabric and stuff as an art supply.
For example, wool and fabric scrap can be made into hooked rugs..
Fuzzy

That's very true. I give a fair amount of stuff to the thrift stores, but I take a lot of old clothes that really, no one wants (old t-shirts, jeans, 10-year-old white cotton pants with signs of wear on the hems, etc.) to an art cooperative here that recycles them into the most amazing things - purses from old jeans, throw rugs, pet beds, and other things from fabrics that are washed and then cut into strips. They will even cut things up into very narrow strips and weave them into new garments, like oversize ponchos. Amazingly creative and I feel my stuff gets a new life that way.

That's very true. I give a fair amount of stuff to the thrift stores, but I take a lot of old clothes that really, no one wants (old t-shirts, jeans, 10-year-old white cotton pants with signs of wear on the hems, etc.) to an art cooperative here that recycles them into the most amazing things - purses from old jeans, throw rugs, pet beds, and other things from fabrics that are washed and then cut into strips. They will even cut things up into very narrow strips and weave them into new garments, like oversize ponchos. Amazingly creative and I feel my stuff gets a new life that way.

There is rarely an item that could be considered to be totally useless and fit for the trash heap. People need to challange their own ability to be creative and get use from existing items.

They are way more creative than I am. Plus they have looms. They have my blessings to destroy and re-create whatever I no longer use.

I donate to Goodwill once every 3 months if I have a bagful. We do purchase from there as well. The turnover at our Goodwill stores around here is astronomical! There are 3 stores that I personally know of, and people go out the doors with at least 8-10 bags a piece. The dumpsters only have furniture that is too broken to fix, or toys and stuff that was recalled. Any clothing that doesn't sell, gets moved to a different location. If it still doesn't sell, it is taken to one of the numerous homeless shelters. If someone from the homeless shelter comes in to work or volunteer, then they are permitted to have up to $20 worth of clothing free after working 1 week. We have such a diverse culture around here that there are all kinds of things that show up at the stores. When I make quilts, most of the backing fabric or sometimes the insides, if I use a blanket, come from Goodwill or Salvation Army Thrift Store. When in Missouri, I would make a bunch of the quilts in an easy pattern, crib and twin size, and they would be donated to two organizations. One was the Lutheran church for their missions programs and the other was for the local battered victims shelters. I do hope to start that up again after we get the new house built. It's not much, but it's something I can do and it makes me feel good. Our local VA hospital has been asking for donated quilts for the service men and women for when they are in for some treatment. After completing their treatment, they get to keep the quilt they had been using. I look forward to that. I always stitch a prayer in the quilt. I have gotten a lot of "thank you's" from all kinds of people and none were offended by the prayers stitched in and a few even admitted that they were not believers and 1 was agnostic, but they were still thankful with their gift.

There is rarely an item that could be considered to be totally useless and fit for the trash heap. People need to challange their own ability to be creative and get use from existing items.

I have been known to use the "windows" from window envelopes in my scrap booking and handmade cards. If an envelope inside has any kind of pattern, I will use it. Large envelopes are used to store projects. Old dirty shoelaces are used when painting for special effects. I've also cleaned and dyed a couple and used them on cards. I can find lots of uses with another person's trash.

Back