I'm Upset...

hellos245

Reaction score
:sadwave: I went to a store called St. Vincent Thrift Store (they also have an outlet called Dig & Save)...while I was there 4-5 workers came out and they began emptying bins into a giant push cart. I asked what they were doing and they said they were emptying out bins that were in the store and throwing the stuff away (in the dumpster) so they could bring more stuff in.
What a waste!! They should donate this stuff to a better cause.
And the people that are donating stuff to this store have no idea that their items are ending up in the trash!
This is just upsetting and disappointing. :tears:
I hope people stop donating to this store.

Bottom line: Dont donate to St. Vincent Stores!!

THEY WERE THROWING PERFECTLY GOOD STUFF AWAY!! SOME STILL HAD TAGS ON IT!!

Last edited:
They should refuse to accept items that they will not sell. Let the donators decide what to do with these items. Places like Goodwill do not take everything. It has to be something they think they can sell.

If this outlet is throwing stuff away, they have to pay for that. The cost is passed down to the customers.

St. Vincent de Paul is a charity that does a lot of good. They need to have items that people will buy to finance their charity.

If people didn't donate the equivalent of their garbage and just paid for haulaway services, there would be no need to dispose of it.

Please support St. Vincent de Paul thrift stores.

The Society of St. Vincent de Paul offers tangible assistance to those in need on a person-to-person basis. It is this personalized involvement that makes the work of the Society unique. This aid may take the form of intervention, consultation, or often through direct dollar or in-kind service. An essential precept of the Society's work is to provide help while conscientiously maintaining the confidentiality and dignity of those who are served. The Society recognizes that it must assume, also, a role of advocacy for those who are defenseless or voiceless. Some 12 million persons are helped annually by Vincentians in the United States.

Home

St. Vincent de Paul is a charity that does a lot of good. They need to have items that people will buy to finance their charity.

If people didn't donate the equivalent of their garbage and just paid for haulaway services, there would be no need to dispose of it.

Yes. We cannot let the actions af a small group of workers change people's minds about this. They should not have accepted the items they were throwing away.

It's a charity store. Not everything will sell, and they don't always know what will and what won't.

They don't have an infinite amount of space. Sometimes our old stuff just needs a place to go die; that's pretty much the reality of it.

It's a charity store. Not everything will sell, and they don't always know what will and what won't.

They don't have an infinite amount of space. Sometimes our old stuff just needs a place to go die; that's pretty much the reality of it.
Sadly, there are people that have a pretty good idea they what they are donating is junk.

Maybe. Sometimes people are delusional, and I mean that quite literally. Have you ever seen the cable shows about hoarding? Dear God, what those people have in their houses is truly astounding. And they always have a "donate" bin when the professional organizer comes to help them clean up.

Gives me the shivers to even THINK of that crap going out to be put on shelves someplace for other people to buy.

On the other hand - a knitting friend of mine will make the rounds of charity stores from time to time looking for outdated wool sweaters in nice colors. She pulls them apart, washes the wool, and makes the most amazing things out of them. Everything from little cat toys to really pretty scarves and hats, all out of recycled wool.

I know they do alot of good work, but why dont they do more and do something with the stuff instead of throwing it in a dumpster for the landfill? Why dont they donate it to people that need it?
Let the donators know that their stuff could potentially just be thrown out.

They were throwing perfectly good stuff away.

Im sorry to tell you this, it is not even a big deal. Who cares what they do with clothes. It is really not your business. No reason to be upset over this.

I have a goodwill store in my town and people always bringing stuff to drop off at the store. I've seen cops patrollin the area to make sure stuff is not stolen. Wow.

Last edited:
I know they do alot of good work, but why dont they do more and do something with the stuff instead of throwing it in a dumpster for the landfill? Why dont they donate it to people that need it?
Let the donators know that their stuff could potentially just be thrown out.

They were throwing perfectly good stuff away.

so why don't you take it and give it to people who could use it? you can do it yourself.

"Perfectly good" is always subject to interpretation. If the stuff had been offered for sale for some period of time and hadn't sold, then no one wanted it, hence not so much on the "perfectly good" front.

I know it can be disturbing, but really, if no one wants it, then that's the end of it.

I know there are some "bundlers," I think they're called, that buy tons, literally, of used clothing and re-sell it in Africa and some parts of Asia. That's why you sometimes see on news program some poor African kid running around with a Notre Dame t-shirt or something like that. Sort of a "say what???" kind of moment, but that's where a lot of used U.S. and Canadian clothing ends up, in poor villages in Africa and Asia.

so why don't you take it and give it to people who could use it? you can do it yourself.

I do for some things but I cant get it all, like they can. They are a big organization and have more resources.

"Perfectly good" is always subject to interpretation. If the stuff had been offered for sale for some period of time and hadn't sold, then no one wanted it, hence not so much on the "perfectly good" front.

Perfectly good to me are things with tags still attached, or items with no holes or stains.

Still, if no one wanted to buy it, then doesn't really matter what condition it's in, it's not selling, for whatever reason.

Even department stores make mistakes on what they think will sell or not. Look at the sales racks of stuff towards the end of the current season - lots and lots of markdowns. The dept. store buyers are professionals, and they don't always get it right.

So you have an outfit like St. Vincent's or any of the other charity stores. I'm sure that for the most part they do their best to sell what comes in, but once they start running out of space, decisions have to be made about clearing out the old to bring in the new, so to speak.

:sadwave: I went to a store called St. Vincent Thrift Store (they also have an outlet called Dig & Save)...while I was there 4-5 workers came out and they began emptying bins into a giant push cart. I asked what they were doing and they said they were emptying out bins that were in the store and throwing the stuff away (in the dumpster) so they could bring more stuff in.
What a waste!! They should donate this stuff to a better cause.
And the people that are donating stuff to this store have no idea that their items are ending up in the trash!
This is just upsetting and disappointing. :tears:
I hope people stop donating to this store.

Bottom line: Dont donate to St. Vincent Stores!!

THEY WERE THROWING PERFECTLY GOOD STUFF AWAY!! SOME STILL HAD TAGS ON IT!!

Was that run by the St. Vincent DePaul Society?

Still, if no one wanted to buy it, then doesn't really matter what condition it's in, it's not selling, for whatever reason.

Even department stores make mistakes on what they think will sell or not. Look at the sales racks of stuff towards the end of the current season - lots and lots of markdowns. The dept. store buyers are professionals, and they don't always get it right.

So you have an outfit like St. Vincent's or any of the other charity stores. I'm sure that for the most part they do their best to sell what comes in, but once they start running out of space, decisions have to be made about clearing out the old to bring in the new, so to speak.

There are DV shelters that could use these items. Women quite often escape an abusive relationship with nothing more than the clothes on their back and the clothes on their children's back. They are in need of anything and everything in order to get back to an independent life. There are homeless shelters that could easily put items to use, as well.

I know it can be disturbing, but really, if no one wants it, then that's the end of it.

I know there are some "bundlers," I think they're called, that buy tons, literally, of used clothing and re-sell it in Africa and some parts of Asia. That's why you sometimes see on news program some poor African kid running around with a Notre Dame t-shirt or something like that. Sort of a "say what???" kind of moment, but that's where a lot of used U.S. and Canadian clothing ends up, in poor villages in Africa and Asia.

When you have nothing, as in a woman who has escaped an abusive relationship and is in a safe house trying to find a way to get back on her feet, "perfectly good" has quite a different meaning than for someone who has never seen a day of adversity or worried about how they were going to find a way to provide shelter, clothing, and home items for their children.:cool2:

Perfectly good to me are things with tags still attached, or items with no holes or stains.

I agee. It is a shame these things were being thrown out. There are people out there that would have been grateful to receive these items as they don't even have the funds to pay for items in a thrift store.

Back