If you were sent to the 1970s and....

Yep, those were all popular drugs of abuse in the '70s. Now, in the suburban housewife population; well, they preferred Valium and a nice glass of wine.:lol:

I remember that all those housewives had trouble staying off this drug.

what's a benzo and how do they create dependance?

Valium Addiction and Abuse

Description: Valium withdrawal, effects of Valium, Valium and alcohol, Valium abuse, Valium street names
Valium (C16H13ClN2O), manufactured by Roche, is a benzodiazepene derivative is in the anti-anxiety agent drug class. Chemically, diazepam is 7-chloro-1,3-dihydro-1-methyl-5-phenyl-2H-1,4-benzodiazepin-2-one. It is a colorless crystalline compound, insoluble in water and has a molecular weight of 284.74.

Diazepam is the well known generic name for Valium which is in a class of drugs called benzodiazepenes. Other popular "benzos"includes Ativan, Alcelam, Alplax, Alpram, Alprax, Alprazolam Intensol, Alzolam, Anpress, Ansiopax, Pharnax Prinox Ralozam, Tafil, Trankimazin, Tricalma, Zacetin, Zanapam, Zenax, Zolarem, Zoldac, Zoldax and Zotran.

Street names for Valium include candy, downers, sleeping pills, and tranks.

Valium is in the anti-anxiety agent class and in Schedule IV of the DEA Controlled Substances Act.

Dependency and Withdrawal:
Valium depresses the nervous system much like alcohol and is abused by all segments of society. Valium is both physically and psychologically addicting and as is considered one of the toughest addictions to break. With chronic use, its abuse potential is high. Withdrawal symptoms can be seen after only 2 or 3 days of repeated use.

Tolerance to Valium builds quickly and is the effect of cellular adaptive changes or enhanced drug metabolism. This tolerance develops over days, weeks, or months is a diminished response associated with chronic use of this drug.

All benzodiazepines, even when used as recommended, may produce emotional and/or physical dependence. Valium has the potential to cause severe emotional and physical dependence in some patients and these individuals may find it exceedingly difficult to stop using. It is important that your physician help you discontinue this medication in a careful and safe manner to avoid severe withdrawal.

To abruptly stop Valium after an extended period of use is extremely dangerous and can cause seizures and sometimes death. Discontinuation of the medication must include a physician supervised gradual taper schedule and/or adjunct medications to minimize acute withdrawal.

Essentially, withdrawal symptoms from Valium are like the mirror of its therapeutic effects. Valium withdrawal can produce especially severe withdrawal symptoms similar to those in alcohol and barbiturate withdrawal, including jittery, shaky feelings and any of the following: rapid heartbeat, tremor, insomnia, sweating, irritability, anxiety, blurred vision, decreased concentration, decreased mental clarity, diarrhea, heightened awareness of noise or bright lights, impaired sense of smell, loss of appetite, loss of weight, muscle cramps, seizures, tingling sensation, and agitation. In more extreme cases, typically associated with sudden cessation of the drug, users may experience convulsions, tremor, abdominal and muscle cramps, vomiting and sweating. After extended abuse, abrupt discontinuation should be avoided and a gradual dosage tapering schedule carefully followed.

Obviously, the severity of withdrawal symptoms is directly related to the amount of the drug taken and the length of time over which it has been taken.
Sources:
http://www.pdrhealth
http://www.addictionwithdrawal.com.htm

Last edited:
what's a benzo and how do they create dependance?

Benzyl formation in organic chemistry in laymans term can "become one" with your body, causing serious dependence. It is also destructive. Can be a powerful acid, etc. Very "flexible" compound if you will.

Benzodiazepam are in the Benzyl family.

I remember the Valium morphine cocktail in the ER. I could have sworn that 400lb paramedic was doing cartwheels.

There was drinking problems, even way way way before prohibition! :lol: Alcoholism has been around since even before Jesus walked the Earth. :lol:

I clearly remember an alchoholic female neighbor who was pretty mellowed out on Valium in my childhood.

She was an accountant for a major banking operation, and apparently functioned really well at her job in spite of this.

From what I am told, there is a doctor in Heavener, OK that is giving diet pills to anyone who wants to lose weight and rapidly. A lady I know took them and while she lost weight she noticed her personality was changing. It wasn't for the good either. She also noticed that she was so hyper that she couldn't sleep properly at night. Not thinking of it she went to a local doctor here so see about her 'insomnia'. She told the doctor here what diet pill she was taking and the doctor told her to stop taking it immediately. It was more or less a form of legal speed. If she were to continue with the pills, she would have become addicted and probably would have done a great deal of harm to her body in the long run. The doctor told her the best weight loss plan is just plain jane diet and exercise. These pills would have likely caused her to have heart problems later.

As for me in my never ending quest for weightloss (which never actually happens) I am almost curious as to what these pills are exactly and how they will affect me.

I can imagine people's react after telling them to text me or hit me up on facebook.

There was an interesting scene in a TV show I saw(can't remember the name), a young woman was at a bar and asked the middle aged man next to her for his phone number and the guy says, "Do you have a pen?". To which the women replied, "Duh, I have a phone. How old are you?"

I thought that was very funny.

Drinking problems in 70's is nothing comparing to 1850's

Suggest ya watch PBS series called "Prohibitation" Your jaw will be dropped once you watch it.

1850 was real bad, technically everyone is drinking. Doctors actually encourages people to drink more. Even though back that time, those who not drinking is not normal to society back in 1850.

Even interesting, when congress passed 18th amendment that includes Volstead act. 6 hours after it was become law. There was black market, there was some people that brings booze in house, take elevator to 2nd floor, does not matter which left or right. There is Senate and house reps buying booze at higher price just to keep it quiet.

Anyway, this is to tell you the point of 70's and alcohol is really nothing.

Don't forgot drinking problems too.

Drinking problems in 70's is nothing comparing to 1850's

Suggest ya watch PBS series called "Prohibitation" Your jaw will be dropped once you watch it.

1850 was real bad, technically everyone is drinking. Doctors actually encourages people to drink more. Even though back that time, those who not drinking is not normal to society back in 1850.

Even interesting, when congress passed 18th amendment that includes Volstead act. 6 hours after it was become law. There was black market, there was some people that brings booze in house, take elevator to 2nd floor, does not matter which left or right. There is Senate and house reps buying booze at higher price just to keep it quiet.

Anyway, this is to tell you the point of 70's and alcohol is really nothing.

I'm not sure about the 1850's, but after any war there is always an uptick in drinking, it's understandable. After WWII, any house that was built in the U.S. usually included a bar.

I'm not sure about the 1850's, but after any war there is always an uptick in drinking, it's understandable. After WWII, any house that was built in the U.S. usually included a bar.
The Mexican-American War had that much impact on the public's drinking habits?

Back