If you were sent to the 1970s and....

Lysergic acid diethylamide (LSD) was created in 1938. It was first developed as a therapeutic psychiatric drug. In the 1950's, the CIA experimented with it for mind control and chemical warfare. In the 1960's, it became popular on the street, especially with hippies but also with mainstream people. One of its most common nicknames was acid.

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds? :cool2:

Thanks for the info Reba. I just thought it didn't become popular until late 70s to early 80s.

The cocaine epidemic started in the 1920's. Along with heroin.

I knew heroin was given to soldiers on the battle field during WWI to make them so loopy they would kill on impulse and to force them to go for days without the need for sleep or food. This of course backfired when the soldiers returned home addicts and were hallucinating and often were shipped to asylums after being declared insane. I didn't know cocaine went that far back though. I was thinking cocaine came around in 40s.

I knew heroin was given to soldiers on the battle field during WWI to make them so loopy they would kill on impulse and to force them to go for days without the need for sleep or food. This of course backfired when the soldiers returned home addicts and were hallucinating and often were shipped to asylums after being declared insane. I didn't know cocaine went that far back though. I was thinking cocaine came around in 40s.

Heroin to keep them going for days without sleep or food? Doesn't make sense. Heroin is an opiate. It has a sedative effect. They may have given it for pain relief to keep soldiers going without being restricted by their pain.

Heroin to keep them going for days without sleep or food? Doesn't make sense. Heroin is an opiate. It has a sedative effect. They may have given it for pain relief to keep soldiers going without being restricted by their pain.

I'm only going by what was in my history textbook. Textbook published misinformation appearently. I dont particularly study the history of illegal substances so I'm no expert. I just know they make people do stupid things.

I don't think it was called LSD then, it was just acid. LSD came around sometime in the 80s didn't it? GHB showed up in the 90s I think.

LSD came to our world in late 1960s thanks to Timothy Leary.

Ecstasty was discovered when you were born.

In the 70's, a very, very similar compound was known as MDMA.

I knew it was in 70's but didnt know it was known as MDMA. My older deaf freinds who were gallaudet students admitted that they took ecstasty too much. They are so glad that they are ok now that they arent doing it anymore.

I knew it was in 70's but didnt know it was known as MDMA. My older deaf freinds who were gallaudet students admitted that they took ecstasty too much. They are so glad that they are ok now that they arent doing it anymore.

Yeah, you never know what you get when you have "ecstacy". MDMA was a pharmaceutical, so you knew what you were getting. Doesn't mean it was better to abuse it...just means that it was a little safer than the stuff on the streets now. Kind of like the difference between someone taking diet pills (speed) back then and crystal meth (speed) now.

That sounds more likely.

I'm only going by what was in my history textbook. Textbook published misinformation appearently. I dont particularly study the history of illegal substances so I'm no expert. I just know they make people do stupid things.

are you sure? I've never heard of that. They experimented amphetamine, speed, and LSD.

Heroin in soldiers... I would say that heroin is a commonly-abused drug among soldiers since opiate is widespread and commonly available in Asia and Middle East. And obviously... during R&R, soldiers would be experimenting with it at local bars or some seedy places to get over the horror of war.

LSD, Quaaludes, marijuana, heroin, and cocaine epidemic were popular during the 1970's.

If I went back in the 70s. I would do like Biff did on Back to the Future. Make bets on games I know who wins. :)

Make bet on horse race, with record you have, you'll be frickin rich!

are you sure? I've never heard of that. They experimented amphetamine, speed, and LSD.

Heroin in soldiers... I would say that heroin is a commonly-abused drug among soldiers since opiate is widespread and commonly available in Asia and Middle East. And obviously... during R&R, soldiers would be experimenting with it at local bars or some seedy places to get over the horror of war.

Heroin was a big problem for soldiers in VietNam. Thousands came home addicted.

LSD, Quaaludes, marijuana, heroin, and cocaine epidemic were popular during the 1970's.

Yep, those were all popular drugs of abuse in the '70s. Now, in the suburban housewife population; well, they preferred Valium and a nice glass of wine.:lol:

no gambling.. just lay some cash in mcdonalds, microsoft and apple stock when they start

I think you would have time travel to all the way back to 1940 for the first McDonald's. Still it's entirely possible that Mc Donald's was a good investment in the early 70s. I don't know enough about the stock prices in the 70s to be sure.

Back