IEP help

My great aunts told me years ago that when I was five or seven, they could barely understand my speech. They told me that they could understand me a lot better at age 20. Most strangers could understand me by then even though my speech wasn't perfect. I didn't start to really sound hearing though I came close till after I got implanted. I had speech theraphy 3 times a week then once a week then monthly. I've not had any speech theraphy since I was 15.

Miss Kat has been implanted for a month now? I think she just needs time if she has any ability to speak. What if she never learns to speak well? What then? You will need to find alternative strageties to help her with the hearing world. I know some people with CIs who don't speak well but they think the CI helps them. Others learned to speak with the CI but thought it was a failure because their parents weren't happy with the results because it didn't improve their hearing to the point where they didn't need sign. I met one such guy at World of Warcraft.

While I think it's a good thing to have good speech, I'm also a realist. Not everyone will learn to speak. If I were to have a deaf child, You can bet that I'd enroll the child in a bi-bi program and I'd be more concerned about the child's progress in education than with speech.

well said!! Those parents should be realized that CI is not always helping kids.

3 hours a week will never get her to language fluency.

My mom tried to teach me how to speak for 8 hours almost every day when I was about three. From what my mom told me many years later, I bluntly told her that it was too much for a three year old kid. IMHO, speech therapy is a waste for some students including myself if their speech is far from perfect. :aw:

My mom tried to teach me how to speak for 8 hours almost every day when I was about three. From what my mom told me many years later, I bluntly told her that it was too much for a three year old kid. IMHO, speech therapy is a waste for some students including myself if their speech is far from perfect. :aw:

8 hours a day? :shock: Golly. I think it's too much for even older kids.

Wow! 8 hours a day????? That's too much.

8 hours a day? :shock: Golly. I think it's too much for even older kids.

Yep. no shit. I suspected that educators suggested my mom to practice me how to speak for 8 long hours almost every day. I think it is too much and STUPID. Come on, common sense... three years old kid tends to play and not pay attention to anything!! :roll:

Anyhow, I can see this thread is getting side-tracked from the original IEP post so I'm shutting my mouth now. Otherwise with what I suspect is going to get posted from the bigwigs here, this thread is going to eventually get locked. Again.

LOL, its tough, I know as you keep getting sucked into a never-ending circular argument!

Anyway, thanks for you earlier post, I am not going to respond further as the points I have made are rather obvious and I do not want to detract from the issue of the OP: seeking advice for her daughter's IEP.
Rick

Yep. no shit. I suspected that educators suggested my mom to practice me how to speak for 8 long hours almost every day. I think it is too much and STUPID. Come on, common sense... three years old kid tends to play and not pay attention to anything!! :roll:

For some people, the goal of oralism for their children is that important for them to achieve but in your mom's situation, it seems like an obsession..no offense.

Wow! 8 hours a day????? That's too much.

That's why I was so impatient with speech therapy for years at elementary and HS. One day, I fed up and called my mean speech therapist BITCH at HS after she demanded me to rise my HA volumes up (I warned her that high volume caused me some headaches). No one at HS liked her so much anyway. :lol:

That's why I was so impatient with speech therapy for years at elementary and HS. One day, I fed up and called my mean speech therapist BITCH at HS after she demanded me to rise my HA volumes up (I warned her that high volume caused me some headaches). No one at HS liked her so much anyway. :lol:

lol... lol..... lol..... lol.....

For some people, the goal of oralism for their children is that important for them to achieve but in your mom's situation, it seems like an obsession..no offense.

nah. none taken. I agreed with you anyway. Mom was so obsessed about me being a "perfect" child. Hey, I am not. Duh :roll: at my mom.

lol... lol..... lol..... lol.....

Also, I lost two reception buttons and told to pay up $50 bucks. When the school was officially over, I lied to her that I already paid $50. She fell for it and took my word for it. How dumb she was!

Now, she is still working as an elementary teacher at an elementary school. Geez.

I had a speech teacher in middle school who had breath like something died in it and she used to put our faces close to hers ...and yell at us if we didnt say a word perfectly. It was horrible and I complained to my mom but my mom thought I was being dramatic.

I had a speech teacher in middle school who had breath like something died in it and she used to put our faces close to hers ...and yell at us if we didnt say a word perfectly. It was horrible and I complained to my mom but my mom thought I was being dramatic.

God. maybe you should have brought a gas mask and wore it in front of your speech therapist. :giggle:

They also seem more concerned about speech than if the deaf child can understand others around them.

That's the misconception many hearing people have...the better the speech skills the deaf child has, the better they are able to understand others around them. That was a big problem for me growing up and I didnt know how to stand up for myself because I didnt even know what the problem was. I thought I wasnt trying hard enough to "hear" everyone else. :roll:

nah. none taken. I agreed with you anyway. Mom was so obsessed about me being a "perfect" child. Hey, I am not. Duh :roll: at my mom.

Lol. Your mom reminds me of both of my parents. Loml is the only person I know who can be even more singled minded than my mother on some subjects.

God. maybe you should have brought a gas mask and wore it in front of your speech therapist. :giggle:

I was a kid and terrified of everyone because I was always criticized for anything related to communication all the time so I wouldnt even have the guts to come up with such an idea. Good one though!

Lol. Your mom reminds me of both of my parents. Loml is the only person I know who can be even more singled minded than my mother on some subjects.

ohhh touche!

My dad is different story... I still even get close to him than my mom (in some ways). My mom still barely understands me.. go figure. :aw:

I was a kid and terrified of everyone because I was always criticized for anything related to communication all the time so I wouldnt even have the guts to come up with such an idea. Good one though!

I feel for you. I finally stood up and called a speech therapist Bitch because I fed up with her attitude. She was mad at me because I chose to go to the room where I took a make up social science test at that time over my stupid speech therapy. She sent me to see my counselor..sure. I told my counselor about my situation. He decided not to give me detention. My speech therapist "lost" the battle.. haha! What a retarded bitch! :laugh2:

Back