IEP help

God. maybe you should have brought a gas mask and wore it in front of your speech therapist. :giggle:

Lol at Shel and Oddball. I used to have a fourth grade speech teacher who would help hearing and deaf kids with speech. (I was the only deaf in school) and she would overreact so much to any progress I was making that I thought she was a bit mentally unstable.

I remember reading about speech therapists on DeafDC once and a poster said she used to call them speech witches. Very apt, don't ya think?

Also, I lost two reception buttons and told to pay up $50 bucks. When the school was officially over, I lied to her that I already paid $50. She fell for it and took my word for it. How dumb she was!

Now, she is still working as an elementary teacher at an elementary school. Geez.

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

I feel for you. I finally stood up and called a speech therapist Bitch because I fed up with her attitude. She was mad at me because I chose to go to the room where I took a make up social science test at that time over my stupid speech therapy. She sent me to see my counselor..sure. I told my counselor about my situation. He decided not to give me detention. My speech therapist "lost" the battle.. haha! What a retarded bitch! :laugh2:

Wow! That's how I feel about my speech therapist in middle school. Man, she put us down for not trying to speak better. I wish I had the guts to stand up to her but I had ZERO self esteem.

I think we are seriously hijacking this thread so better get back on topic.

but how do you get great social and academic progress if you cannot hear well? You just admitted that you can't hear well but can talk well... but then what good does it do for growing deaf child in mainstream school? If the student cannot hear well among many hearing students and teachers.... then how can you do well socially and academically? I did well academically because I had private tutors, one-on-one extra help, and my mom tutoring me. It was time-consuming. A deaf kid in deaf school gets FULL and SAME opportunity in life just as much as hearing kid gets at hearing school. I did OK socially but I can't be friends with bunch of hearing people that I want because of communication issue.

Communication is a two-way street. Your social/academic progress will grow well as long as you can communicate effectively - listening and talking. If not - then your growth is stunted. Yes - some of us get lucky but most don't. If my newborn happens to be deaf like me, I would not put my kid thru the same path as mine.

But the whole point of the CI is that she does hear well. She won't be learning to speak and unable to hear. The whole point of AVT is to develop listening skills. If the child hears wel, THEN they learn to speak well.

But the whole point of the CI is that she does hear well. She won't be learning to speak and unable to hear. The whole point of AVT is to develop listening skills. If the child hears wel, THEN they learn to speak well.

yes. she can hear well in a controlled environment for now but when it comes to mainstream setting...... especially when you're getting older - it gets pretty difficult. Your daughter... like many of us will encounter more and more obstacles as she grows up.

I only hope that you give your daughter a chance to be in both worlds, not between. meanwhile - best of luck! :cool2:

I would love to see the research that says that deaf children with poor oral skills find it easier to socialize with hearing children in the mainstream then deaf children with good oral language skills.

If having good oral language skills is not a key factor for deaf children developing social relationships with their hearing peers then what, according to your "reams" of yet to be produced research, are those key factors?
rick, even "good' oral skills don't automaticly translate into mainstream social sucess. If that was true, then kids with "deaf" voices would never get teased about their voices.
I was also talking about this exact subject with a counselor from a camp i attended as a teen. I have pretty decent oral language abilty, (ie VERY high verbal IQ, high scorer on verbal part of the SATs)
However, back when I was a teen, I'd lose my speech when I got upset. (and that would cause all sorts of problems LOL) Looking back, it's b/c I had a superfical grasp on spoken language. It was good and all.....but it didn't allow me to really fully emotionally express myself. It's been well documented that social issues are beyond common for oral deaf and hoh people.
Melissa,
I really would look into seeing if Miss Kat can do a split placement sort of dealie, with going to the "deaf school" for academics, and going to the oral program for things like better speech therapy services.

She won't be learning to speak and unable to hear. The whole point of AVT is to develop listening skills. If the child hears wel, THEN they learn to speak well.
Ummmm not quite.
If they have good listening skills, they can then get a vague approxmentation on how to speak. But where apraxia comes in, the kid can hear ( a lot of times the hearing is perfect) but they can't speak well.
You know........one thing you might want to look into is seeing if Miss Kat could get evaluted at the School for the Deaf. See what they think, and what their reccomendations are.

True, but not always, but still that is why you should focus on getting the AVT therapy put into her IEP and that it be given by someone who is either a certified AVT therapist or has provided oral/aural therapy to ci kids. As you are now witnessing, with her ci, she is able to hear much better than a severe or profoundly deaf child without a ci and that is why the proper s&l therapy is critical for her at this stage.

If you keep her in her present school, I would seek to include that for the classes she is in and especially in one-on-one situations that "voice-off" not be permitted that they both sign and speak to her.
Rick

True, but not always, but still that is why you should focus on getting the AVT therapy put into her IEP and that it be given by someone who is either a certified AVT therapist or has provided oral/aural therapy to ci kids. As you are now witnessing, with her ci, she is able to hear much better than a severe or profoundly deaf child without a ci and that is why the proper s&l therapy is critical for her at this stage.

If you keep her in her present school, I would seek to include that for the classes she is in and especially in one-on-one situations that "voice-off" not be permitted that they both sign and speak to her.
Rick

I am definatly going to insist that the person who gives her therapy be experience with teachoing oral language to CI kids.

But as for the sim-com...that would be changing school philosophy and I don't think I can ask for that. That is why we are considering changing placement.

I am definatly going to insist that the person who gives her therapy be experience with teachoing oral language to CI kids.

But as for the sim-com...that would be changing school philosophy and I don't think I can ask for that. That is why we are considering changing placement.

Sim-Comming is trying to use two different languages together and it is not recommended if you want your child to get the proper models of each languages.

Sim-Comming is trying to use two different languages together and it is not recommended if you want your child to get the proper models of each languages.

Ok, then how about sign supported speech, or key word signing. These would be in a one on one setting and not for general instruction.

What would be the second type of placement? I do agree that the AVT teacher should have knowledge of working with CI students.

As a special education teacher, I write a lot of IEP throughout the year. I am limited by what my system allows. It can be very frustrating to educators as well as parents in developing an appropriate IEP. In our school system we have had our funding cut in half since the federal government has not appropriately funded special education (this includes our HOH/Deaf classrooms), so services we would like to offer get changed to a limited service or something else. I know if the child's IEP requires it, yes, but for example, instead of AVT it is just speech services. Instead of servicing 50 children, the SLP is servicing 80 children.

I hope the appropriate placement is available for Miss Kat

What would be the second type of placement? I do agree that the AVT teacher should have knowledge of working with CI students.

As a special education teacher, I write a lot of IEP throughout the year. I am limited by what my system allows. It can be very frustrating to educators as well as parents in developing an appropriate IEP. In our school system we have had our funding cut in half since the federal government has not appropriately funded special education (this includes our HOH/Deaf classrooms), so services we would like to offer get changed to a limited service or something else. I know if the child's IEP requires it, yes, but for example, instead of AVT it is just speech services. Instead of servicing 50 children, the SLP is servicing 80 children.

I hope the appropriate placement is available for Miss Kat

I know that there are AVT people available, they just generally stay with the oral program. They don't work with the signing kids.

I know that there are AVT people available, they just generally stay with the oral program. They don't work with the signing kids.

if they are available then if you ask hopeful it will be there.

How many times a year do you meet for IEP meetings?

Ok, then how about sign supported speech, or key word signing. These would be in a one on one setting and not for general instruction.

faire_jour - I know that you expressed the desire for no visual with your daughters speech earlier. In regards to this, although one of the components of cueing is visual, it is important to undestand that it is likened to "visual sound". The visual sounds are "heard" in the mind. Using cueing and AVT together or seperately, will not cause your daughter to "stop" listening, it simply provides support and clarification for what she is hearing and seeing (when she is provided visually the spoken word, say at home.) Providing an enviroment, at home or school, where the child has the tools to eavesdrop on conversation around them is essential. Developing the skill of cue reading, aides in removing the ambiguity of speech reading when the person that is talking is not a cuer.

if they are available then if you ask hopeful it will be there.

How many times a year do you meet for IEP meetings?

IEP's are once a year unless we have a reason to meet. This meeting is early because we have concerns about her therapy.

IEP's are once a year unless we have a reason to meet. This meeting is early because we have concerns about her therapy.

true sometimes preschoolers have meeting twice a year to discuss redo IEPs if goals are mastered.

Did you ask for this meeting or did the school ask for it? How are her goals? Which end does it focus on ASL or oral language?

Back