IEP help

um.. not quite, Fair_jour. I hear at 20 dbs with my implant. However, what I hear isn't always the same as normal hearing. Plus, it takes time to relearn sounds and to learn new sounds with implants. For example, I had to relearn the sounds of motors because I couldn't hear the higher pitched sounds coming from motors with my hearing aid. I like to play my warlock on World of Warcraft and in PvP (Player vs Player which involes killing other players), I died a lot to rogues because I failed to recognize the whoosh sound of rogues and it took me six months to learn it. All that is going to take time. On the plus side, since Miss Kat got implanted as a child, she's likely to do better than me if the CI is successful when it comes to sounds.

I'm not saying that it gives her hearing like a Hearing person, but that hearing at 15 db is not considered to have a hearing loss. Does that make sense? I used the word "hearing" a lot.

I'm not saying that it gives her hearing like a Hearing person, but that hearing at 15 db is not considered to have a hearing loss. Does that make sense? I used the word "hearing" a lot.

hey no problem. Just saying that lot of hearing parents make unrealistic expectation... a dangerous expectation.... that they think they can try to get their deaf kid to function well in mainstream.

just saying.

hey no problem. Just saying that lot of hearing parents make unrealistic expectation... a dangerous expectation.... that they think they can try to get their deaf kid to function well in mainstream.

just saying.

I agree. I have actually heard one or two say that their kids aren't deaf, and that they have "perfect speech and language"....ummm, your kid is 5, how do you know?

Well she may be able to hear at normal levels with the CI but without it she's still pretty deaf. I function like a person with a mild loss but as soon as my batteries go dead, it's clear to all around me that I have a profound loss.

What it means to me is that she can hear in the normal range with the help of a device,

um.. not quite, Fair_jour. I hear at 20 dbs with my implant. However, what I hear isn't always the same as normal hearing. Plus, it takes time to relearn sounds and to learn new sounds with implants. For example, I had to relearn the sounds of motors because I couldn't hear the higher pitched sounds coming from motors with my hearing aid. I like to play my warlock on World of Warcraft and in PvP (Player vs Player which involes killing other players), I died a lot to rogues because I failed to recognize the whoosh sound of rogues and it took me six months to learn it. All that is going to take time. On the plus side, since Miss Kat got implanted as a child, she's likely to do better than me if the CI is successful when it comes to sounds.

Ah--I find this very interesting! The subtle sounds in a video game that indicate a "threat"--something I never really thought about! How interesting that you found a way to identify such a subtle sound! I know, not all CI users can hear THAT well, but WOW! I think that is cool!

Deborah,
YES, right on! Even ten years after I graduated high school, the shit I went through was just so incredibly awful.
Yes, there are some kids who do decently socially, but in a world where we have Mean Girls and Reviving Ophelia issues, most of the dhh or otherwise different kids are going to prolly have horrible social issues.
So many head up their ass parents and professionals seem to think that high school is some "High School Musical/Grease/Happy Days sort of thing.

I am sure that the info would be helpful--we all want to know how to help deaf children. However, I THINK the question was something along the lines of deaf kids fitting in with mainstream hearing kids, right? I can think of several situations where a deaf child was in the mainstream--some situations worked better than others. A child who cannot speak well is surely going to have a harder time in the mainstream than one who does speak well, right? Of course, there are always exceptions to that: a child who uses ASL only somehow could luck up and be placed in a mainstream school where a majority of the students think ASL is cool and they accept the deaf child and learn the language. It happens, but it is rare. And a deaf child who has perfect speech could still struggle in the mainstream because they still feel "different" and have trouble "fitting in" even though they speak as well as the hearing kids. I bet that is quite common--my daughter kind of fits in that category. There are always exceptions--I have heard of kids with CIs who become the most popular kids at a mainstream school--however, I am sure that is rare. So what helps deaf kids "fit in"? I would imagine that a load of self-confidence and a very outgoing personality are key factors. And, in MOST cases, but not all--I would imagine that having good speech would be a key factor in the situation of a deaf child being the only deaf child in a mainstream school and still finding a way to "fit in." It would be a rare child indeed who "fit in" a mainstream school if they do not speak at all--but it does happen in some cases. I THINK that is what the question was about--and if the response was somewhere along the lines that: great speech is NOT a guarantee of "fitting in"--that is also the case. While good speech can definitely help a child fit in better than a child with no speech, it does not guarantee that they will completely fit in and feel comfortable in the mainstream. I think that is the idea behind the question and response. If studies can show the professionals how very important social issues are when deciding placement, then we need those studies to be publicized--not enough professionals seem aware of these issues. Yes, there IS so much more to it than "speaking well"--but a child who cannot speak at all will probably have and even harder time fitting in, wouldn't they? This makes me just want to hug every deaf child and let them know that THEY are wonderful just as they are--and I wish that each and every child could go to school in a place where they felt accepted and loved just as they are! :)

The research is pertaining to the social relationships of deaf/hoh kids in the mainstream. Several variables, such as CI use, and oral skills were looked at in the study. I agree that we need to look at our deaf students more holistically, and have often stated that psychosocial issues should be looked at when deciding placement.

Not true. My daughter hears at 15 db, that is considered "normal hearing".

NOT that I think that means that she would be successful in the mainstream or without ASL!!!

But what does she discriminate? Outside of the ideal conditions of an audiologist's booth? That would be the more important question that dB levels.

Parents shouldn't think for their kids based on their judgement of kid's surrounding. Parents should talk to kids more often, ask how much can you hear, what do you feel you should need. You don't do things for them, you give them guidance.

PS. I didn't read anything. I just blurted this out cause I went through a lot of IEPs that denied me as being disabled. It was a struggle, but my parents said nothing, because my parents wanted me to speak for myself. I could suggest you to do the same, NO AGE MATTERS. Have them speak for themselves, you're just there to help them grow up. I know you don't wanna them to grow up, but they gotta.

I'd like to say that there is a difference between speech therapy and AV therapy. I've had speech therapy for 15+ years, and it's just basically learning to talk as well as you can. AVT is learning the sounds you hear. I will start AVT soon since I had my activation on Dec 18th. I've had the implant for a month now and it's GLARINGLY obvious that I NEED AVT. So before anyone dismisses therapy as simply an optional supplemental for Miss Kat, remember that the CI DOES need rehabilitation to learn to listen with the CI. This is very different from speech therapy. Using Jiro's example of a guy in a wheelchair: If he gets some bionic legs that don't work QUITE as well as human legs, he still needs to learn how to use them and practice with them in order to use the FULL potential of the bionic legs.

Here is a good reason why I need AVT: My old speech therapist gave me a track that randomly says ma, fa, ta. With the hearing aid on my other ear, the volume was very loud, compared to the CI, and I had such a hard time telling the difference. With the CI, even though the volume was really low, I could tell the difference easily but had NO idea which is which for ta and fa (ma was more obvious). So the potential is there, but there needs to be some learning.

Back