I may have a fur-ever friend?

Oh, for an in-home service dog to help with a few things, I think that would be fantastic.

My dog has to have monthly tests done to see how she's doing, and every 6 months she has a full work up with x-rays to check for metastasis and they try to draw cancer cells from where her tumor is. She was able to graduate from seeing the oncologist every month, to being able to have her tests done at the local vet every two months, then the third month with the oncologist, so she sees the oncologist 4 times a year. Depending on how she's doing, we can sometimes put off the x-rays for a year, and I think we'll be doing it this time around (her visit is tomorrow). In her case, it wasn't just simply removing the tumor because they couldn't remove it out, it was like an octopus and they could only get the major mass out, no clean margins were possible.

Fingers crossed that her blood levels have normalized from last month's. She had gone through a bunch of upheaval in her life and we hope that was just the reason for the change in bloodwork, not a sign that her chemo needs to be changed again. My husband had broken his knee, she wasn't allowed access to him (my dogs like to ram into people) and she could no longer snuggle with him on the couch because his legs were up on it, she couldn't sleep in bed with us, she started getting super possesive of her things and her crate so we had to cut her off cold turkey from her crate during the day (she loves her crate, it's a place of security for her), it was rough for the poor girl, and she couldn't play with him or go for walks anymore with him either. We'd like her to stick around a bit longer, she's an awesome dog.

Like Zena, her mass came out whole and clean and tests have been negative for her. I am still waiting for the approval, My aunt said I should be getting a call or email soon.

I know how to read dig body language, the dog that bite Marty gave no warning . The two dogs did their doggies thing of sniffing butts and as I was walking away with Marty on his leash the other dog just lunge out and bite my dog butt.

There is rarely such thing. there probably must have been something, perhaps you simply missed it.
I'd like to let you know though, a dog whose intention is truly deadly will be stealthy, which means one thing - you will miss all the signs.

It's only natural - because, imagine if the predator who's trying to capture its prey gives off a slightest warning that it is gonna attack,
it simply will end up hungry.

But subtle signs are there. for example - a dog may merely hang it's head low while passing another dog.

It's possible the other dog wasn't pleased with the entire encounter at any time.

And perhaps your dog raised his tail while turning away at the end, or gave him a 'look' turning, or make sound which you couldn't hear, whatever - we will never know.
whatever it was you could have missed it, for you it looks like there was no reason,
but for dogs- there sure was one.

Fuzzy

There is rarely such thing. there probably must have been something, perhaps you simply missed it.
I'd like to let you know though, a dog whose intention is truly deadly will be stealthy, which means one thing - you will miss all the signs.

It's only natural - because, imagine if the predator who's trying to capture its prey gives off a slightest warning that it is gonna attack,
it simply will end up hungry.

But subtle signs are there. for example - a dog may merely hang it's head low while passing another dog.

It's possible the other dog wasn't pleased with the entire encounter at any time.

And perhaps your dog raised his tail while turning away at the end, or gave him a 'look' turning, or make sound which you couldn't hear, whatever - we will never know.
whatever it was you could have missed it, for you it looks like there was no reason,
but for dogs- there sure was one.

Fuzzy

There is this creature, yes, I am using that term as does Animal Care and Control, that will attack without any provocation at all. It's due to his breeding and his training. Sadly, the pieces of crud who own him, do not speak English, and do not use a leash. This creature has gotten loose so many times, been picked up eight times by ACC and still is returned. Creature is one of 5 in the house who are all being trained as aggressive guard dogs. Police have been involved as well. This creature has killed 2 dogs, injured 3 dogs, 3 children and 5 adults. The particular percentages of the breeds are just barely within legal guidelines and the County is thinking of changing those percentages. The breeder was shut down.

What breed is this creature? 70% German Shepherd Dog and 30% American Wolf. He is the reason my daughter's dog had to be put down. She and her dog were attacked. Police were involved. EMT's were involved. Vet bill was close to $500. Buddy (daughter's dog) became very aggressive after that. We worked with a trainer and did all we could. Finally, were told, either muzzle him or put him down. We muzzled when outside, but he then started to attack my daughter. He was put down the next day.

I was told by ACC yesterday, that since there a more reports and they have an interpreter now that knows this man's language, it will be taken care of.

Sono, congrats on your new beautiful brindle girl....cancer is not always "the end" and dogs can live with cancer for a long time. It really depends very much on many factors. Cancer is a big problem in dogs, and some breeds in particular - the Boxer is one, and my breed, the Rottie.
Cancers related to vaccinations are also a cause for concern, and this is something many traditional vets either will not tell you or don't believe.
My beloved big girl, my older Rottie, developed a mass in her butt cheek about a year after her most recent Rabies vaccine. The tumor was close to the injection site. My holistic vet agreed with me that it -could be- related to the vaccine. Cats in particular are known to develop tumors at vaccination sites.

Boxers are a working breed and have been used for service work and other types of tasks. They have a clownish side to them. Brindles are no more or less aggressive than any other color variant.

Though I refuse to vaccinate yearly for Rabies <and that is no longer recommended, but some vets will not tell you this or will not follow the new veterinary guidelines regarding vaccines> and do the 3 yr. Vaccine for Rabies, it still happened. We felt the mass on a Sunday eve,. called on Monday, had her to our main vet, who did aspiration <to remove some amount and see if the cells were suspicious> and was worried and so we scheduled the procedure for that same week Wed. It was a fibrosarcoma, Grade 1. Vet was confident he got good margins. Pathology report agreed. The whole thing was very shocking and scary for us but she is doing fine. This was in October of '13.

My previous Labrador had several fatty tumors, those are benign.

Kristina, what a scare fir you and your daughter and her dog! And I'm so sorry about the end result.:hug: :(

Konijen, liked your poster.

Most of canine body language is VERY subtle to miniscule, from a person's perspective. It could be as "small" as position of whiskers around the face, an eye movement, or open mouth versus closed mouth.

Is that your home, or did another applicant get her?

You hit the nail on the head... I got approved for her.
Im not going to tell my wife yet, she is going to one of her garden club sales this saturday, so i will run and get Zena and bring her home as a surprise when she gets back. I have to go to the Rescue in illinois to sign the paperwork and pay the adoption fee and get her papers... Im overly excited right now !!!!

I already have a nice food container, self feeder/water bowls, crate... although I dont think we will need the crate for her, but I will buy her a nice comfy doggie bed a few toys and some healthy food. Im sure she is going to love her new spacious home with a large yard to run and play. I got to get to work on the fencing not only for Zena but also to keep my son safe.

awesome... I bet she will love the yard!
A literal fence is the most ideal option.

What I don't like are the "invisible" fences that someone walking by has no way of knowing they are there.

What I don't like are the "invisible" fences that someone walking by has no way of knowing they are there.

I don't like them either. If a dog is aggressive and willing to take the shock, they can step out of it.

That happened to me years ago when I was walking the miniature poodle I had at the time. Then I was only using a cane, and I kept it between us and the large dog in a very threatening way while screaming.

The owner came and got the dog before it hurt us, but we didn't walk on that street again.

I am planning a natural fence ( Dwarf pines, boxwoods...ect...) on the perimeter of the yard for privacey and security, also dense enough that pets cant go through as well. I might do a temp fence for zena til the bushes/trees/shrubs grow, the ones I am looking at takes 1 to 3 years to grow into eachother to be dense enough and then the height, most grow up to 7' tall but will be trimmed, especially the boxwoods, the dwarf pins will be more of a privacey fence deal. There are others I cant recall the names, but got a great deal on them, 100 plants for $50 so it will be cheaper than installing a wooden or metal fence, plus as I told my wife, the few trees I cut down, this will more than make up for that besides add charm to the property.

There are many issues with "invisible fences" Most of the companies do have signs or flags along the perimeter.
But behaviorally they present many issues.

A dog can become fearful of things in the environment that-happened to - occur at the same time as the shock. So, the dog is shocked at the same time she sees a child on the sidewalk - now she's afraid of children. I know of someone whose dog became so fearful that he ended up refusing to go outside at all and started peeing in an indoor potted plant.

It doesn't prevent other animals or human interlopers, from crossing and affecting the dog, but the additional stimulus of either of those things, along with shock or fear of shock, causes great stress to the dog.

Many dogs in high prey drive or who have high pain tolerance will cross through to get at something - a squirrel, a biker - on the other side but then will not come back in. They are actually punished for returning <by shock>.

Doesn't teach the dog what she should do. Works on principles of fear and pain.

We are the only ones in our area who have an actual fence. Neighbors on both sides of us, and across the street, as well as all down the road, live with dogs. All e-fencing.

thats why you post no trespassing/beware of dog signs, Yellow "Invisable Fence" or "stay on path" signs. I dont know why anyone would use an invisable fence, yes it keeps your pet in the yard, but what about aggressive strays? Children? Nope.

Its gonna be nice, driving my truck with a dog drooling at the window....lol

Yes I know not to leave a pet in the vehicle, she will go wherever I go unless its somewhere I need to leave her at home for awhile.

I am planning a natural fence ( Dwarf pines, boxwoods...ect...) on the perimeter of the yard for privacey and security, also dense enough that pets cant go through as well. I might do a temp fence for zena til the bushes/trees/shrubs grow, the ones I am looking at takes 1 to 3 years to grow into eachother to be dense enough and then the height, most grow up to 7' tall but will be trimmed, especially the boxwoods, the dwarf pins will be more of a privacey fence deal. There are others I cant recall the names, but got a great deal on them, 100 plants for $50 so it will be cheaper than installing a wooden or metal fence, plus as I told my wife, the few trees I cut down, this will more than make up for that besides add charm to the property.

I am skeptical about this. Don't some dogs like to dig?

Back