I gots good news

LadyCaissa... thats good things are going great for you. Hope you can "hear' your wedding vows when the big day comes. We won't discuss the honeymoon part lol. I listen to country music on the ipod a lot as my listening training everyday. Especially the old songs I already know very well. Hmm is there any 18 story buildings in your are ? lol Now don't go dissecting yer CI head out of curiousity. I almost majored in Biology had to change due to my eyeballs and the microscope struggles .
Remember PPP Patience, Persistence and Practice is the key to success iCI journey.

The audi changed some of my settings. I can finally distingish the difference between male and female voices. I also brought my Zune to my appointment and we made adjustments so I could hear the lower pitches. Massive change in what I hear now. Still need more boost in lows, I'll get that done on monday.

I can now hear voices on the tv. I can even tell if a male or female talking. That's a major change as to what it was.

They also did testing to see how well I am hearing. I am within the 20 db range with one going around 15. That's like awesome. YAY! Once I get home I'll scan the paper in and you guys can see it. It's really awesome.

Yesterday I went to my appointment. They tested to see how well I am hearing with both my HA and my CI. I am getting 90% of everything in background noise. Yay. I am really close to what I was before my hearing loss. It was around 95-98% back then. I am so happy with hearing again.

Wow thats great you are making such good progress. Now have yer boyfriend repeat everything he said the last couple months. Smile

Yesterday I went to my appointment. They tested to see how well I am hearing with both my HA and my CI. I am getting 90% of everything in background noise. Yay. I am really close to what I was before my hearing loss. It was around 95-98% back then. I am so happy with hearing again.

Fantastic progress! You have done so well in such a short space of time. It was obviously the right decision for you :)

Sorry for not updating myself for a while. Life decided to become quite hectic for a bit. Things have finally somewhat calm down enough for me to finally sit down and update you guys on all that's going on.

Hearing with the CI has been wonderful. Everyone has noticed the change in my personality and love that I am now finally able to be social.

I recently got tested to see how well I am hearing. With both my hearing aids and my CI, I hear about 99% of what's going on. Which is pretty damn good. All I can say is that I am extreamly happy to be able to hear again.

Congratulations ladycaissa!

Your results are astounding. When they say that you can hear in the 15-20 dB range, does that mean every frequency at 15 or 20 dB or does it vary? I've only seen a couple of audiograms that compare hearing before and after CI. I'm about to embark on a CI journey myself (assuming everything goes well at my CI evaluation next Friday), and I'm always interested in seeing how people have performed pre and post CI. :D

Congratulations ladycaissa!

Your results are astounding. When they say that you can hear in the 15-20 dB range, does that mean every frequency at 15 or 20 dB or does it vary? I've only seen a couple of audiograms that compare hearing before and after CI. I'm about to embark on a CI journey myself (assuming everything goes well at my CI evaluation next Friday), and I'm always interested in seeing how people have performed pre and post CI. :D

It just means I can hear up to 15-20 dB. The higher the number the louder the noise and the lower the number the softer the noise is. You understand what I mean?

ladycaissa - Kind of. Does this mean that that's the loudest you can hear with the CI (with varying frequencies/dBs across the board) like natural hearing? Or does this mean you have a straight line throughout your audiogram? I guess it would help me better understand if you posted the data from your audiogram (hz + appropriate dB levels) with your CI. :)

Umm... first of all congrats to lady, incredible progress. I have ci too got it 2 months after yours. doing not too badly... IMO!! LOL..

Phi, if i can explain it, normal everyday sounds is about 65 db (that what we are tested in sound booth hearing test) they jot down the softest/highest/middle sounds onto audigram, the jots are where we are able to hear. so therfore the 15/20db range (she probably has it on all freq) is the quietest she could hear like whisper, soft sounds like people tiptoeing that kind of thing, Bird singing is high pitched but is actually quiet in our ear/s... I hope i explained that well???? :-s the quietest i can hear is 30 db something like that, i could hear up to 20 when i was on my old program but i find environmental sounds too loud so had remap, hence my quiet sounds had dropped to 30db, not that i am bothered since my map it is much better.

Keep is posted, I am waiting on my new Opus 2 model from MedEL and the nifty remote the end of this week woo hoo

Umm... first of all congrats to lady, incredible progress. I have ci too got it 2 months after yours. doing not too badly... IMO!! LOL..

Phi, if i can explain it, normal everyday sounds is about 65 db (that what we are tested in sound booth hearing test) they jot down the softest/highest/middle sounds onto audigram, the jots are where we are able to hear. so therfore the 15/20db range (she probably has it on all freq) is the quietest she could hear like whisper, soft sounds like people tiptoeing that kind of thing, Bird singing is high pitched but is actually quiet in our ear/s... I hope i explained that well???? :-s the quietest i can hear is 30 db something like that, i could hear up to 20 when i was on my old program but i find environmental sounds too loud so had remap, hence my quiet sounds had dropped to 30db, not that i am bothered since my map it is much better.

Thanks for explaining it better. :ty: Sometimes I am just at a loss for words and sometimes I have a knack for it.

Phi, I do hear the softer sounds just like overthe pond says. For example: my cat purring 3 feet away, rain hitting the leaves outside, the fridge fan kicking on/off and even the annoying clicking/whiring of the computer fan. I sometimes don't like the quieter/softer sounds, but I am one of the few people out there that do like hearing EVERYTHING. It's not too loud to me like overthepond, so I deal with it. If it's too annoying I just take it off and allow my ear a break.

And hearing sounds we are not used to can be a learning experience for us and our poor brain. That is why it is important for new CI users to use their CI as much as possible so that our brain relearn how to handle the new sounds.

Back