I gots good news

Congrats! I hope that CI will work for you.

Ci...

Hi! Hi I read your post and I too am having a CI surgery May 6th! I am both nervouse and excited as I know it will be a journey for me. I too, grew up with hearing aids and used oral speech. I can hear sounds with my hearing aids but have trouble comprehending what is being said and need to lipread. Therefore, I finally decided to go ahead with a CI. I will be turning 30 on July, so this will be a new chapter in my life. I am married with 3 small children who are all hearing including my husband, which is part of the reason I choose to get a CI. I want to be able to hear again on the telephone and just hopefully be able to understand words clearer with a CI. I know it will take time to adjust, but I truly believe this may be my miracle. I've prayed all my life asking God to help me make the right decision and somehow, I never really thought I'd consider an CI but it took me a year to decide and I am finally saying "yes." congrates to you and it looks like you'll have a busy summer with a wedding coming up. What made made you decide to get a CI?

What made made you decide to get a CI?

I lost all my hearing in my right ear last August. Poof, gone. No warning. Nothing. Then noises got loud on my left ear, went to get it checked out. My left ear tolerence for noises went down, my audi adjusted my HA the best she could and then told me that if it went down anymore the HA won't be useful because I am now at the lowest setting any HA can be in. Over the months it quickly went down. Today I only wear the HA when I go out or when I absolutely need to. Once I am at home the HA gets taken out.

There are so many reasons for why I have decided to get a CI. I am working on my Biology Degree and I am so close to graduating. This particular semester has been the toughest on me. I've never had to struggle so hard just to learn the material. I can't quit now because I can't hear or understand sign very well.

I also got tired of struggling to hear in daily situations. I am always asking "What?" or "Could you repeat that please?" My friends slowly got annoyed with those questions and always making sure to stay on my left side so I can hear them.

Over time I just retreated into my home. I dropped out of clubs at the college and stopped talking to almost all my friends face-to-face. The only time they get to talk to me is when I am on MSN because that is the only time they see me and I can actually understand typed words instead of oral words.

I have been so lucky to find a man like my fiance. He is so understanding and willing to work with me. This lost has tested us a lot. Along with the fact that he is four hours away due to work and that I only see him two weekends a month. One of those weekends is for his so. He will be moving back to my area in November, once his contract is up.

I just want my life back or at least be able to function somewhat in noisy situaions. I am just starting my life. I want to be able hear all the sounds that the world and life can give me. I know hearing is such a precious gift and I thank God that he is allowing me to get the CI so soon.

Congratulations on getting approval and a date! It was a bit hit and miss but glad that they took into account the recruitment. Keep us informed.

Congratulations on getting approval and a date! It was a bit hit and miss but glad that they took into account the recruitment. Keep us informed.

They didn't take account to the recruitment. My left ear went down severely. I can't wear my hearing aid like I used to. Wearing the FM system in class...forget about it. It hurt to wear it. That was the main reason I got it. They were afraid my left ear would go like my right ear.

In a little over 34 hours I will be going under the knife to recieve my CI. I am a complete nervous wreak. I know things will go smoothly but I just can't help but worry.

In a little over 34 hours I will be going under the knife to recieve my CI. I am a complete nervous wreak. I know things will go smoothly but I just can't help but worry.

Yes, we've been there. I can't say anything to take the nerves away but you'll feel relieved when it's all over. Have you frozen meals, borrowed a recliner, checked out trashy novels/movies etc etc? I found that the nesting helped keep me busy.

Good luck with it all!

Best of luck!

I recommend you take your pain meds every 4 hours or so (for Oxycodone -percet), even if you're not feeling pain...If you don't take it, you may be a bit overwhelmed with pain then you would need to wait a while for the meds to kick in. I learned that lesson the first time. Also, put ice pack on the back of your head or near the ear (NOT on the incision, or where the implant is), it will help the swelling.

For me, I lost my taste in food, so that's just individual experiences. some people didn't lose it, some people it did.

Always allow your body to rest to heal. Watch a couple movies, eat pudding pops, Grape juice, and a trashy novel, and you're all set. :)

I found what really helps me at night time is to have a bunch of pillows around my head and sleep on the non-implanted side.

Take pictures - everyone loves pictures, no matter how gross they are. Make a blog of your journey, it helps.

Things will sound horrible at first, and it takes time and practice for your ears to adjust.

Mapping - Basically the Audiologist will go over that with you. At Mapping time, it's when you explain to your audie sounds that you heard before, but didn't hear with CI, or some sounds are too harsh, or you can't hear too well, need more power. You should expect to go for mapping quite a bit the first time, then over time you'll become a pro, and know exactly what sounds you want and what sounds you don't want.

Good luck!

A little less than 7 hours to go. I can't sleep at all. I am just a ball of nerves right now. I am waiting for them to knock me out for me to finally calm down.

I want to thank everyone who wished me luck. I do appriciate it. I'll keep you guys posted.

Have you frozen meals, borrowed a recliner, checked out trashy novels/movies etc etc? I found that the nesting helped keep me busy.

Good luck with it all!

My mother is going to be taking care of me and my little feline. So I don't have to worry about food or anything else. Just me. As for a recliner, I don't know anyone who owns one. All I have is tons of pillows 2 king size pilows and 4 regular. I have tons of movies, DS games and books to keep me enertained.

Back