I gots good news

I just woke up from an nap that I needed very much after activation. I hear things from my CI. It's kind of nice to get some imput into that ear. When I take off the CI my right ear constantly goes "WTF put that back on, give me input". I never expected that.

You're right. It does sound like crap. The great part is that I do hear speech and understand it ever so slightly. Right now I am under the rough fitting, so tomorrow when I go in I will see if I can get it adjusted correctly. I just now had a CI moment.

CI moment: Sitting in the basement and hearing my mom call me from the kitchen letting me know that dinner ready. Did not expect to have a CI moment this early on. Before hand I wouldn't of heard that at all. Mom would've had to go downstairs and get into my field of vision to let me know that dinner is ready. So cool!

That is a great start! :) I'm glad your activation went so well!

I just woke up from an nap that I needed very much after activation. I hear things from my CI. It's kind of nice to get some imput into that ear. When I take off the CI my right ear constantly goes "WTF put that back on, give me input". I never expected that.

You're right. It does sound like crap. The great part is that I do hear speech and understand it ever so slightly. Right now I am under the rough fitting, so tomorrow when I go in I will see if I can get it adjusted correctly. I just now had a CI moment.

CI moment: Sitting in the basement and hearing my mom call me from the kitchen letting me know that dinner ready. Did not expect to have a CI moment this early on. Before hand I wouldn't of heard that at all. Mom would've had to go downstairs and get into my field of vision to let me know that dinner is ready. So cool!
You're on the move!!! Congratulations!

My second mapping went okay. The Audi got rid of some of the background noises that was overpowering the sounds. It sounds better and I am definately hearing a bit more than I did yesterday. My audi also did some Ling sounds and I heard every sound she made. Didn't understand it but I heard it. She was impressed and quite happy. She told me that I am doing really well for someone who is just at their second mapping and hopes that I will do well with the CI.

My second mapping went okay. The Audi got rid of some of the background noises that was overpowering the sounds. It sounds better and I am definately hearing a bit more than I did yesterday. My audi also did some Ling sounds and I heard every sound she made. Didn't understand it but I heard it. She was impressed and quite happy. She told me that I am doing really well for someone who is just at their second mapping and hopes that I will do well with the CI.

Congrats!! sounds good. Have fun learning the new sounds... Wait til you hear sirens from the street when you're 5 stories up in a building, then be even more amazed when you're on the 10th floor, and my most recent discovery, I can hear them from 18 stories high, I wonder what the limit is.... I really didn't know that people heard sirens from that high up. LOL. Truth to tell I didn't know that one could actually hear them from an inside room on the ground floor. CI's are amazing. :) Happy Hearing.

I know I am learning new sounds but it's cool when you go into a loud place and you are able understand what is going on. Before the surgery this wasn't possible.

I was getting ice cream at Cold Stone. The place is usually very loud and there is really bad echo of all the sounds inside. I was able to hear the young girl who was making my ice cream. It was late and they were closing up so the door was locked, I was waiting patiently for them to realize that I wanted to leave. I actually heard one of the girls asked me if I wanted out. I heard this from across the room.

I know I am learning new sounds but it's cool when you go into a loud place and you are able understand what is going on. Before the surgery this wasn't possible.

I was getting ice cream at Cold Stone. The place is usually very loud and there is really bad echo of all the sounds inside. I was able to hear the young girl who was making my ice cream. It was late and they were closing up so the door was locked, I was waiting patiently for them to realize that I wanted to leave. I actually heard one of the girls asked me if I wanted out. I heard this from across the room.

That is fantastic! It gets better and better. Make sure you really work on therapy. The more you do the better the sound quality. Even almost a year later(wow) I still hear new sounds almost daily.

I had an appointment to see how well I am doing and what listening therapy I need. I was able to hear almost everything the doctor said. She basically told me that I am listening at the 6 month mark for normal cochlear implant users. She also could not find any listening therapy assignments to give me, so she told me to continue what I am doing. All the doctors are increadably impressed with how well I am doing considering the fact I was activated a week ago.

I had an appointment to see how well I am doing and what listening therapy I need. I was able to hear almost everything the doctor said. She basically told me that I am listening at the 6 month mark for normal cochlear implant users. She also could not find any listening therapy assignments to give me, so she told me to continue what I am doing. All the doctors are increadably impressed with how well I am doing considering the fact I was activated a week ago.

I bounced back quickly too, but from experience you have to continue listening therapy. You must exercise the implant daily, either with music or books on tape. Daily activities around the day are not enough. It allows the implant to remain sharp.

I use music as my auditory therapy. I ipod daily for atleast an hour. I use the same songs over and over again. It helps to pick up more sound.

I am also so happy for you. Enjoy

Great progress! :)

You must exercise the implant daily, either with music or books on tape. Daily activities around the day are not enough. It allows the implant to remain sharp.

Oh I am going to. It's stupid not to do any exercises. I always have music playing when I am driving and I will be listening to books on tape. I have four of them.

Oh I am going to. It's stupid not to do any exercises. I always have music playing when I am driving and I will be listening to books on tape. I have four of them.

I found out the hard way, I was going great and because I thought I did not need it anymore. I set myself back. My mapping was sounding funny and I was having problems with pitch.

I found out the hard way, I was going great and because I thought I did not need it anymore. I set myself back. My mapping was sounding funny and I was having problems with pitch.

The audi hasn't really done any mapping with me yet. I don't have any programs and things still sound sketchy. I am hoping tomorrow I will get something.

It sounds like you're doing great, ladycaissa! If you're looking for something to listen to on the radio, I've found PBS is actually easy to listen to because of the type of programs they have - more talking, less, uh, screaming and cavorting as you might find on a typical "morning show" - oi!

Don't get frustrated even if you don't keep that pace of improvement up at some point - it happens, and there will come a day you don't have to think about it anymore (except for annoyance at the battery beeps!) - look forward to that! :)

Today the audi did a word recognition test. I got 55%! That's really good considering before the surgery I got 0%. All the doctors are really impressed with how well I am doing. They told me that it usually it takes people 6 months to a year to get where I am and I have only been wearing the implant for a week.

Today the audi did a word recognition test. I got 55%! That's really good considering before the surgery I got 0%. All the doctors are really impressed with how well I am doing. They told me that it usually it takes people 6 months to a year to get where I am and I have only been wearing the implant for a week.

Wow, that is excellent. I agree that you are definitely doing better than average for this stage. I agree with WPG that you may find that the rate of improvement could slow down (since you have had such a big result in the first week) and not to get too disappointed or frustrated if that happens. You can't go too far wrong with what you are already doing with the audio practice.

I agree with WPG that you may find that the rate of improvement could slow down (since you have had such a big result in the first week) and not to get too disappointed or frustrated if that happens. You can't go too far wrong with what you are already doing with the audio practice.

I don't care if I improve quickly or slowly, just as long as there is some sort of improvement. If I get sound and I understand it, then I am a happy little camper. I've dealt with these sort of things with HA, especially when I was switching from analog HA to digital HA.

Back