Hurricane Earl

Yeah, pay no heed till about Thursday.

Maybe that is why there are always uneccesary casualties with Hurricanes- people not taking heed until last minute and too late to obtain the right emergency preparedness supplies, or evacuate accordingly. :aw:

Maybe that is why there are always uneccesary casualties with Hurricanes- people not taking heed until last minute and too late to obtain the right emergency preparedness supplies, or evacuate accordingly. :aw:

lol no worry there. these people have had several hurricanes every year.

Yeah, pay no heed till about Thursday.

Actually I have guys loading trucks and trailers now JIC. Wouldn't leave here until Wednesday though at the earliest. We will see what it looks like then.

I don't dust the boots until I put them on. :lol:

Actually I have guys loading trucks and trailers now JIC. Wouldn't leave here until Wednesday though at the earliest. We will see what it looks like then.

what for? clean-up?

There is a good thing about Earl if you're a surfer in Jersey. Wildwood on friday is calling for 22ft triple overhead waves haha... not that I surf.

Your statement by itself, sure...but I was talking to a professional (TXGolfer).

Where would you and your crew(s) depart from?

Tarp, Board up (post storm), Clean Up........ Perhaps rebuild depending on how bad it is and if workers want to stay.

ah sounds like a cool job with some danger. I'd do it. be safe, ya'all.

There is a good thing about Earl if you're a surfer in Jersey. Wildwood on friday is calling for 22ft triple overhead waves haha... not that I surf.

Rip current risk would definately scare me enough to resist the temptation to surf (I don't surf). But, everyone has their vices whether surfing or other activity. I'd be lying if I said I never did an outing or activity that at one time or another could very realistically compromise my safety.

Rip current risk would definately scare me enough to resist the temptation to surf (I don't surf). But, everyone has their vices whether surfing or other activity. I'd be lying if I said I never did an outing or activity that at one time or another could very realistically compromise my safety.

Usually LEOs will turn back anyone that tries to surf or even watch.

Dallas/Fort Worth. Takes about 16 hrs to get there. I wouldn't go north of North Carolina though. Too far.

Oic, that puts your arrival about Thursday/Friday. How do you get the jobs? Call ahead while traveling or do that beforehand? Or after you get there and then make contacts based on what damage(s) you have seen?

Oic, that puts your arrival about Thursday/Friday. How do you get the jobs? Call ahead while traveling or do that beforehand? Or after you get there and then make contacts based on what damage(s) you have seen?

I have a FEMA contact. I already have a FEMA number too. So when I show up I don't have to do paperwork. FEMA will usually set up a temp HQ in a Home Depot parking lot. Some times I will hook up with a local contractor and let him work under my number and I will use his contacts with inspectors.

Also insurance adjusters travel to the big storms (They make a fortune) because no area has enough adjusters for a major storm. I know many of those guys. Adjusters are usually the source of tarp and board up jobs because they are trying to save anything they can from rain and looters. They pay well too.

Once on the way, having a general idea of landfall. I will start contacting adjusters in that area and let the know the numbers of crew,supplies and tools I am bringing (especially generators....they love you if you have generators and tarps).

Finding the work is easy..... Figuring out where to stay is tough. I try to keep FEMA and the adjusters happy by having my guys in tents rather than hotels. This frees up the hotels for people who are displaced.

We usually try to find a small farm nearby with some damage and I will offer to repair their damage for free if they let us camp and hook up an RV. Never had anyone say no to that offer.....lol FEMA also has camps for workers and provides meals but we have passed on those.

I have a FEMA contact. I already have a FEMA number too. So when I show up I don't have to do paperwork. FEMA will usually set up a temp HQ in a Home Depot parking lot. Some times I will hook up with a local contractor and let him work under my number and I will use his contacts with inspectors.

Also insurance adjusters travel to the big storms (They make a fortune) because no area has enough adjusters for a major storm. I know many of those guys. Adjusters are usually the source of tarp and board up jobs because they are trying to save anything they can from rain and looters. They pay well too.

Once on the way, having a general idea of landfall. I will start contacting adjusters in that area and let the know the numbers of crew,supplies and tools I am bringing (especially generators).

Finding the work is easy..... Figuring out where to stay is tough. I try to keep FEMA and the adjusters happy by having my guys in tents rather than hotels. This frees up the hotels for people who are displaced.

We usually try to find a small farm nearby with some damage and I will offer to repair their damage for free if they let us camp and hook up an RV. Never had anyone say no to that offer.....lol FEMA also has camps for workers and provides meals but we have passed on those.

I would pass up on the camps and meals. You never know what chemicals are in it.

FEMA also has camps for workers and provides meals but we have passed on those.
wise decision.

We usually try to find a small farm nearby with some damage and I will offer to repair their damage for free if they let us camp and hook up an RV. Never had anyone say no to that offer.....lol
that's clever. :thumb:

That's cool, TXGolfer; thanks for the insight to a specific scenario. You sound like you got it all down pat.

Once on the way, having a general idea of landfall. I will start contacting adjusters in that area and let the know the numbers of crew,supplies and tools I am bringing (especially generators....they love you if you have generators and tarps).

That's nice of you to helping people to dealing with post-disaster and having a huge hurricane is scary, especially if I live closer to coastal area.

I look at the path of the Hurricane Earl. I hope it does not hit us on the Maritime coast, Quebec and Ontario. It will probably arrived on Saturday or Sunday unless the hurricane die down. Having the hurricane is a beast and not safe at all. So anyone who live on the East Coast of USA need to find a safe place away from the low level of water. I wish they would have gone to the "Hillbilly" mountains for higher safer away from water. That would be great. :fingersx: I will pray for you if it comes on Thursday. :)

Last edited:
Back