Hurricane Earl

On our 6pm newscast, we here in the Palm Beach, Broward, Miami-Dade and Martin county beaches have been advised "Enter at your own risk- Dangerous riptides. We advise staying out of water for you own safety."

I heard New England could get hit with Earl , we do not get a lot if hurricans here. I better stock up on water and food. I bet the bottled water will be flying off the shelves.

I heard New England could get hit with Earl , we do not get a lot if hurricans here. I better stock up on water and food. I bet the bottled water will be flying off the shelves.

We have sterno, water, extra medicine, can goods and hand can opener all in the 3 picnic baskets and duffel bags, ready to go. We also have 12 jugs of water in the deep freeze.

We have sterno, water, extra medicine, can goods and hand can opener all in the 3 picnic baskets and duffel bags, ready to go. We also have 12 jugs of water in the deep freeze.

That is really good idea to have extra medicine if need to take it everyday.
You should have food for your pets too. I live near the ocean but it not close to home , but it could bring strong wind and rain . I will have to keep an eyes on the winds as I do not want my pots on the decks getting blowb
through my windows or someone elses.

That is really good idea to have extra medicine if need to take it everyday.
You should have food for your pets too. I live near the ocean but it not close to home , but it could bring strong wind and rain . I will have to keep an eyes on the winds as I do not want my pots on the decks getting blowb
through my windows or someone elses.

Don't have pets yet, but we are expecting delivery of a kitten any day now. We do have extra bags of kitten and cat chow. Lady across the street feeds the neighborhood strays and since she is elderly, I bought extra to help out.

With 2 senior women in the house, one who has to take anti-rejection medications for her knee replacements as well as heart meds and stuff for an in-operable brain tumor, we really have to have extra of her meds. All 13 prescriptions. For my mother, she has a terminal illness, but isn't on the bad end yet, just getting there. She is taking no meds for that, but is for her dementia and osteoporosis. The liver cancer takes most of the meds so they don't do what they are supposed to, but the docs keep up with that.

Our plants get moved into the utility room for safety at the last minute.

Don't have pets yet, but we are expecting delivery of a kitten any day now. We do have extra bags of kitten and cat chow. Lady across the street feeds the neighborhood strays and since she is elderly, I bought extra to help out.

With 2 senior women in the house, one who has to take anti-rejection medications for her knee replacements as well as heart meds and stuff for an in-operable brain tumor, we really have to have extra of her meds. All 13 prescriptions. For my mother, she has a terminal illness, but isn't on the bad end yet, just getting there. She is taking no meds for that, but is for her dementia and osteoporosis. The liver cancer takes most of the meds so they don't do what they are supposed to, but the docs keep up with that.

Our plants get moved into the utility room for safety at the last minute.

People were not allowed to bring their pets to shelters with them when
Katrina hit New Orleans and they refused to leave their homes. Now people are allowed to bring their pet with to shelters in New Orleans . I wonder if this is allowed at other states and cities?

I highly advise buying a generator if you don't have one. You can get a decent one for $500 and they sure come in handy.

People were not allowed to bring their pets to shelters with them when
Katrina hit New Orleans and they refused to leave their homes. Now people are allowed to bring their pet with to shelters in New Orleans . I wonder if this is allowed at other states and cities?

it's a federal law now - Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act in 2006

:dance2:

I highly advise buying a generator if you don't have one. You can get a decent one for $500 and they sure come in handy.

I can't have one as I live in a condo, I would get one other wise. I asked about this and I was told "NO"! It too bad the trustees don't get some the buildings. They would rather have peope burn the place by using candles!

That is what I should made sure I have plenty of. I like to buy the Jewish memorial candles , they last a while and they no smell to them.

it's a federal law now - Pets Evacuation and Transportation Standards Act in 2006

:dance2:

Thanks ,that is good news. It will save a lot of people lives as now they will not stay in harm way when a storm does hit.

Are they gassed up?

Totally. Ready to go, with extra gas standing by. (I know, having extra gas standing by isn't always safe, we have a gas tank. Neighbors all chip in to help fill it and then come fill their cans for lawn mowing and such. We have a garage with the proper ventilation and space to keep it. There is a very protected out building behind the garage, that is padlocked to keep out the unwanted people, but is very ventilated. It gets inspected each time it gets filled.

except for hugo. that was a scary mofo
I remember Hugo; it hit at night. We couldn't see the worst of it during the storm but we could hear and feel it. We truly expected to die that night.

The aftermath was terrible.

I hope we aren't hit by Earl. It hit Puerto Rico. That's what happened with Hugo. It hit Puerto Rico first, then Charleston.

Hugo in 1989, was essentially the spark that insighted my facination with weather. From that point in childhood, I WANTED to really study weather. Obviously I have different career, but still have my weather affectionado tendencies.

....As for Earl, it sure is looking like some serious weather making machine. Seriously intensifying :shock: Perhaps cat 5 sometime soon??? If it speeds up before being drawn NE direction, it could maybe have same path as hurricane Floyd too??? Either way lets hope not have a serious impact on eastern seaboard.
Ugh, I have bad memories of Floyd, too. We evacuated for Floyd. I'll never go thru an evacuation like that again. It was a nightmare.

Wait until Thursday the day it probably hit the coast? Supplies would be long gone by then. People like to panic early sometimes, lol. I think I am gonna stock up on supplies tomorrow morning just in case and to get away from busy day if it is actually true.
We don't panic but we do keep stocked up of food, propane, repair materials, water, and batteries. Our chain saws are ready, too. :)

lol no worry there. these people have had several hurricanes every year.
The problem around here is that every year we have new residents who have moved from the Midwest and are clueless about hurricanes. Our local media, print and electronic, fully cover preparedness, so there's no excuse but some people ignore common sense preparations.

Actually I have guys loading trucks and trailers now JIC. Wouldn't leave here until Wednesday though at the earliest. We will see what it looks like then.

I don't dust the boots until I put them on. :lol:
Our Lowes and Home Depot set up areas with hurricane preparedness materials at the front of the store. Grocery stores do the same thing, mostly with batteries and bottled water.

Back