How many people here are NOT deaf?

ScrappyKat said:
ok.. umm... i dont think i should have clicked on that link...
Yes, I think I agree..

SweetColette said:
Hi :)

I don't want to diverge from the original topic here too much, but I wanted to thank you guys for your kindness regarding my site and Redwolf, love those smilies! ScrappyKat LOL - you must tell me what you saw...I wanna see too LOL! It sounded much more exciting than anything I've ever posted there hehe :)

Disabled people tend to be labeled as such, and then defined by such label. When I once told the manager of a club that I was partially blind he said that 'I was really pretty for a blind person.' It seems that someone with a disability cannot be talented in some way.

Well, I prefer to be defined by my ability, not my disability :)
In answer to an earlier question, yes I still do exotic dancing, but ever since I got into web design I do not do it as much.

I am glad to be here - it is good to learn about and understand our fellow humans; when we do, labels and limits, cease to apply.

Colette

im curious....are you married? if you are married your husband let you do the exotic dancing what his feeling about that?

Another thing I've noticed is the seemingly high population of girls/women on this site (judging from names and avatars). Where are the guys?

The women probably ate them.

Weren't we supposed to be talking about who's hearing?

Meg said:
TheAssassin,

It is not related to being hearing but why would you pick a such scary avatar? :Ohno:

Back to the point - There is one nagging question Ive had for years. Why do most hearing people automatically assume that we are dummy when once hear our voices? I mean, they seem to assume I am stupid as soon as they see me open my mouth.

Is there a such emphasis on speech/voice that gives hearing people assumptions on intelligence on other hearies too? Not sure if Im making sense. :dunno:

Meg, sadly most people, Americans especially, think that intelligence and speech are totally connected. Not only do deaf people get it, but also people from other countries who speak with an accent. Language is our way of learning about people, and until you learn a second language, you never really understand why someone may have trouble speaking your language. Also, Many mentally retarded people speak not the same as, but like deaf people. People with less education and/or less intelligence usually make more grammatical errors and speak incorrectly, so when deafies do it, people assume they are stupid rather than essentially learning English, a language that will probably forever be a second language for deaf people. In general, people do judge intelligence based on language, written and voiced. Some people who speak well, know nothing; others who don't speak as well, may not a lot. In everything from a chat at the grocery store to a job interview, people analyze each others language abilities, and determine intelligence. As it is probably only 60% accurate, it shouldn't be done, but... there it is.

I'm an Interpreter for the deaf.

I've been an interpreter for the deaf, and I love it!
I like helping them alot.
Also, I 've known sign language (ASL) for 30 yrs.
Deaf people are just as good as hearing people.
Margie
Dir. of Commuication Services
OCDAC

signer16 said:
Meg, sadly most people, Americans especially, think that intelligence and speech are totally connected. Not only do deaf people get it, but also people from other countries who speak with an accent. Language is our way of learning about people, and until you learn a second language, you never really understand why someone may have trouble speaking your language. Also, Many mentally retarded people speak not the same as, but like deaf people. People with less education and/or less intelligence usually make more grammatical errors and speak incorrectly, so when deafies do it, people assume they are stupid rather than essentially learning English, a language that will probably forever be a second language for deaf people. In general, people do judge intelligence based on language, written and voiced. Some people who speak well, know nothing; others who don't speak as well, may not a lot. In everything from a chat at the grocery store to a job interview, people analyze each others language abilities, and determine intelligence. As it is probably only 60% accurate, it shouldn't be done, but... there it is.

ahhh thanks for explaining! :)

Margie said:
I've been an interpreter for the deaf, and I love it!
I like helping them alot.

How interesting. I do not "help" deaf people, myself. I feel THEY help ME.

I wanted to make it clear in my handle that I was a hearing interpreter, so there would be no confusion! (Also to alert anyone who plays City of Heroes...but that's another story...)

I love all the questions I've been reading around here! ("Can hearing people drive and go shopping..." Okay I've heard "can deaf people drive" but I've never heard "can deaf people go shopping?"! People really ask that??) Funny thread except for that unfortunate veer into blatant homophobia, but oh well.

Anyway, Liza, if you're still reading:

Liza said:
1. Is there really a difference between a deaf person and a hearing person? If so, in what ways?

It depends. Like I've said in another thread, there is a definite difference between Deaf culture and hearing culture, so yes, there can be strong differences between a culturally Deaf person and a hearing person. Not sure if that's what you meant though. I know plenty of hearing people -- mostly CODAs but not all -- who are constantly mistaken for deaf, and plenty of deaf people who identify as hearing. Hard to see much difference there.

2. Who is the best singer? And why?

China Forbes from Pink Martini.

3. Is there such a thing as having NO accent with one's voice? If so, would you be able to understand that person?

If a person grew up in the same area as me, I'd probably think they didn't have an accent. I moved from the East Coast to the West Coast and I don't think people here have strong accents but many of them think I do (because I talk FAST and have a little Brooklyn inherited from my parents). It works the same as with sign, I think. Someone from another part of the country may sign with an accent but you can still understand them, usually...right?

4. What are the most annoying sounds to you?

People hocking up loogies, car alarms, when babies or children have that ear-piercing scream, the yapping of little tiny rat-like dogs.

5. Chocolate or vanilla?

Black and white! (A vanilla shake with chocolate syrup mixed in.)

The Assassin -- never mind *ahem* she doesnt even sound like an actual certified terp IMHO :-x

It seems that someone with a disability cannot be talented in some way.
Yeah...it seems like unless you're a superstar and high acheiving in all and every area, you can't be good at stuff if you're disabled
Well, I prefer to be defined by my ability, not my disability
My view is that I don't mind being defined by my disabilty, as it's just a part of me....my being dhh is just like my blue eyes or my brown hair...a part of myself but not THE only charesiteristic....I mean my friends define themselves as Greek, Irish, Spanish etc Why can't I define myself as Deaf?

Liza said:
Thank you for being willing to answer my stupid questions. :)

1. Is there really a difference between a deaf person and a hearing person? If so, in what ways?

Beyond hearing loss, it really depends on the people. If the deafie/hearie was raised with any knowlegde of deaf culture, if the hearie knows sign. Also, deaf and hearing people think differently. Hearing people have a voice inside their head, usually speaking their native language, although hearing people can learn to think in another language, (it's really cool!) there is always that voice. Deaf people (born or prelingually deafened) seem to think in pictures, and or signs, there isn't an interior monologue. I can't say I KNOW deaf people think this way, but is it possible that most deafies think the same way as they all think in pictures and maybe that is why deafies from other countries using different sign languages can communicate? just a thought.

I like Steven Curtis Chapman, more the lyrics than his voice or looks. I really don't have a FAVORITE singer, I judge them first on their lyrics, second their voice, and third their looks. When I am listening to a singer in my CD player, I don't care what they look like as long as they sound nice.

3. Is there such a thing as having NO accent with one's voice? If so, would you be able to understand that person?
Apparently Californians have a very plain accent, and are as close to no accent as you can get. I don't think there is any person who speaks with no accent. HOWEVER, there are several talking computer systems, one called JAWS, that speaks in a computery, monotone voice. It is definitely clear that "he" has no accent. I have a blind friend who uses this to search the internet, do homework, etc. He is used to the voice and understands it well, I understand as well as I do someone from say New York, (I'm from CA) and I know many people who barely understand it or can't understand it all. Non-native English speakers seem to have a particularly hard time with it.
Accents definitely vary across the US, I have a teacher here who is from Chicago, he has a strong accent, and some of the students make fun of the way he says certain words. He is a teasing kind of teacher, but still, he can't help it, I feel bad :(.

There are OH so many. Nails on a chalkboard, any high pitched noise from the stupid outdoor sensors meant to scare off animals (I have sensitive hearing in the higher frequencies and I notice these things, quite annoying!), and I have a real problem with aluminum foil. I think I bit it once when I was little and it hurt really bad, and now hearing it or even thinking about it makes my teeth hurt. Hearing my lil brothers complain also helps top the list of the most annoying sounds.
5. Chocolate or vanilla?
Mix, duh.

Thank you for being willing to answer my stupid questions. :)

Beyond hearing loss, it really depends on the people. If the deafie/hearie was raised with any knowlegde of deaf culture, if the hearie knows sign. Also, deaf and hearing people think differently. Hearing people have a voice inside their head, usually speaking their native language, although hearing people can learn to think in another language, (it's really cool!) there is always that voice. Deaf people (born or prelingually deafened) seem to think in pictures, and or signs, there isn't an interior monologue. I can't say I KNOW deaf people think this way, but is it possible that most deafies think the same way as they all think in pictures and maybe that is why deafies from other countries using different sign languages can communicate? just a thought.

I like Steven Curtis Chapman, more the lyrics than his voice or looks. I really don't have a FAVORITE singer, I judge them first on their lyrics, second their voice, and third their looks. When I am listening to a singer in my CD player, I don't care what they look like as long as they sound nice.

Apparently Californians have a very plain accent, and are as close to no accent as you can get. I don't think there is any person who speaks with no accent. HOWEVER, there are several talking computer systems, one called JAWS, that speaks in a computery, monotone voice. It is definitely clear that "he" has no accent. I have a blind friend who uses this to search the internet, do homework, etc. He is used to the voice and understands it well, I understand as well as I do someone from say New York, (I'm from CA) and I know many people who barely understand it or can't understand it all. Non-native English speakers seem to have a particularly hard time with it.
Accents definitely vary across the US, I have a teacher here who is from Chicago, he has a strong accent, and some of the students make fun of the way he says certain words. He is a teasing kind of teacher, but still, he can't help it, I feel bad :(.

There are OH so many. Nails on a chalkboard, any high pitched noise from the stupid outdoor sensors meant to scare off animals (I have sensitive hearing in the higher frequencies and I notice these things, quite annoying!), and I have a real problem with aluminum foil. I think I bit it once when I was little and it hurt really bad, and now hearing it or even thinking about it makes my teeth hurt. Hearing my lil brothers complain also helps top the list of the most annoying sounds.

5. Chocolate or vanilla?
Mix, duh.

I judge them first on their lyrics, second their voice
Oh, me too....I hate singers that just sing about stupid stuff or who have meaningless lyrics to their songs. That's why I love singer-songwriters!

im hearing.. i wanna get a better understanding of deaf culture.. i got a lil taste iand i enjoyed but i want more!! i wanna be able to understand every lil aspect of life... anyway get back to me when u can
thanx!!!!

Hey, thanks, Interpretrator & signer16 for your answers and insights to my questions. Sure was fun to read them....

Interpretrator: One thing I wanted to say is that I think you've got a point about number one (difference between hearing/deaf). I've mistakened some coda's to be deaf. In the past month, I've come to the realization that I also made the mistake of lumping hearing and deaf people in two bland categories (thanks childhood programming). For instance, a buncha of us (majority being hearing students, and just a few of us deaf) were watching the series Lost in the lounge room. I had assumed everyone agreed to watch Lost, yet I was "lost" when someone kept switching to Norge Idol (I live in Norway) to see if they chose a winner yet. This kept going on, and I was getting pissed from missing vital parts of Lost... nobody told me this was gonna be done, and when I confronted the one holding the remote control... she acted like a deer stuck in headlights.. needless to say, I and a handful of hearing/deaf students left the room to resume Lost in another room that had TV. Next day, I had philosophy... I had explained the situation to get some insight. The hearing classmate asked me... "Why didn't you just talk with me about it? I wouldn't have the same reaction as she did (the deer chick)" She missed me confronting that girl so she didnt know otherwise she would have contributed to the mix. Which took me by shock (hear that death rattle of some programming yet?), and I felt guilty for lumping all hearing the same... I admitted to her that I was guilty of making this terrible, biased classification, and indeed I would act differently next time.

Generalism ought be a sin. Phffft. I would love to hear your further thoughts on this.

I am new here. I am hearing and I am almost done with the Interpreter Training Program at my college. I am currently a Level 2 (state qualified) interpreter working in a high school. My husband (of 6 1/2 years) is Deaf and the majority of my friends are either Deaf or future interpreters. This looks like a great forum! Hope to make lots of new friends from all over! Send me an instant message sometime! I am on my computer a lot and love to chat!

Kelly

:type:

:ily:

Back