How many people here are NOT deaf?

krnaslterp said:
I am new here. I am hearing and I am almost done with the Interpreter Training Program at my college. I am currently a Level 2 (state qualified) interpreter working in a high school. My husband (of 6 1/2 years) is Deaf and the majority of my friends are either Deaf or future interpreters. This looks like a great forum! Hope to make lots of new friends from all over! Send me an instant message sometime! I am on my computer a lot and love to chat!

Kelly

:type:

:ily:

Great, keep learning. Sorenson pays well, between $50k to $80k annually with only 32 hours a week.

Liza said:
Generalism ought be a sin.

Heh, I'd be going straight to hell in that case (if a) I believed in it and b) I weren't already going there anyway). Well, you read my account in that other thread about how I behaved with the deaf man at the drugstore. Everyone has built in biases and prejudices, and while we may try as hard as possible not to CONSCIOUSLY act on them, the occasional knee-jerk reaction just can't be helped. We're human, and as the hilarious song from Avenue Q goes, "Everyone's a little bit racist." For racist you can substitute sexist, audist, agist, whatever.

(The lyrics are here: http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/avenueq/everyonesalittlebitracist.htm)

It's taken me a while to learn that hearing people can be Deaf, and deaf people can be very...um...undeaf. But does that stop me from occasionally making assumptions about people simply based on whether they can hear and perhaps what kind of technology (CI, HA) they use? I'm sorry to say, no.

But more important is that we learn from our mistakes, as I try to do and I can see you do as well.

Margie said:
I like helping them alot.
Margie
Dir. of Commuication Services
OCDAC

Errr....what do you mean by "helping" ? It annoys me when I meet interpreters who say that they became terps cos they just love to help us - helpless victims.

I dont like that kind of attitude. I dont need help. Interpreters are there to faciliate communication period - it is not a field where they can help us. Quite the contrary, these terps who tried to help me actually ended up doing MUCH more damage.

Last time I visited my doctor, this terp tried to help me by talking for me. I didnt even sign and she was busy telling my doctor things. I was like WTF. I dont need your help. I will speak up when I speak up period and you are here to faciliate communication, nothing else. She took offense at my words but I pointed out that we need to establish boundary lines and she is not in a role to be my "mother" or "enabler".

*stepping off on soapbox*

Meg said:
Last time I visited my doctor, this terp tried to help me by talking for me. I didnt even sign and she was busy telling my doctor things. I was like WTF. I dont need your help. I will speak up when I speak up period and you are here to faciliate communication, nothing else. She took offense at my words but I pointed out that we need to establish boundary lines and she is not in a role to be my "mother" or "enabler".

I would damn well hope that if for some reason I ever behaved like that in a professional capacity, someone like you would call me on it like that. She was way out of bounds to behave like that and then to take offense at it. I think it's great you spoke up.

And I couldn't agree more that the term "helping" as applied to interpreting needs to be used very, very carefully. The profession is young and there are many people who remember the "bad old days" when interpreters made the transition from being friends and CODAs/SODAs and were used to "helping" -- meaning, making decisions and doing the kind of thing your interpreter was doing. Today that kind of attitude is strongly discouraged, and I agree with that.

Yeah, "mothering" is more like it but I see less and less of that these days and I hope I'm right cuz I don't use terps all that often.

I see it very little in the interpreters I work with, which encompasses a pretty wide age range. I have been in situations where my team does do the mothering thing to some extent and then I feel like a meanie when I'm on because I don't do that and the client doesn't know why. But it just feels wrong to "help." I would so hate it if the situation were reversed and that was happening to me.

I don't do K-12 interpreting but I have heard that there is less of a distinct boundary there; I guess people who are used to that might not know why suddenly, for example, their college interpreter won't tutor them in class. It's not like we hand out copies of the Code of Ethics.

Interpretrator said:
Heh, I'd be going straight to hell in that case (if a) I believed in it and b) I weren't already going there anyway). Well, you read my account in that other thread about how I behaved with the deaf man at the drugstore. Everyone has built in biases and prejudices, and while we may try as hard as possible not to CONSCIOUSLY act on them, the occasional knee-jerk reaction just can't be helped. We're human, and as the hilarious song from Avenue Q goes, "Everyone's a little bit racist." For racist you can substitute sexist, audist, agist, whatever.

(The lyrics are here: http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/avenueq/everyonesalittlebitracist.htm)

It's taken me a while to learn that hearing people can be Deaf, and deaf people can be very...um...undeaf. But does that stop me from occasionally making assumptions about people simply based on whether they can hear and perhaps what kind of technology (CI, HA) they use? I'm sorry to say, no.

But more important is that we learn from our mistakes, as I try to do and I can see you do as well.

Thanks for sharing the lyrics with me. Hilarious! It's amazing how much lyrics can take all in, and still come out as a song with a good point. What do you mean, being "Deaf" and being "undeaf?" *grin*

Yes, I can see the point of not needing to bite others' ass off for a biased comment or whatsoever or risk being the hypocrite. :P
Yes, we can learn... I agree., Great thing about life, eh?

Liza said:
Thanks for sharing the lyrics with me. Hilarious! It's amazing how much lyrics can take all in, and still come out as a song with a good point. What do you mean, being "Deaf" and being "undeaf?" *grin*

Yes, I can see the point of not needing to bite others' ass off for a biased comment or whatsoever or risk being the hypocrite. :P
Yes, we can learn... I agree., Great thing about life, eh?

Those lyrics were really good. I can't actually imagine them being sung, but they make a lot of sense.
CODA's and people really involved in the deaf community can be Deaf, because of their understanding of deaf culture and their connections to the Deaf community. Some deaf people don't like being called deaf, and they have very few or no deaf friends. They may or may not sign, but either way are usually embarrassed about it. I would say I think that's what she means by "undeaf."
Funny, I was signing with a deaf woman the other day, and she signed something incorrectly. She said she signed in PSE, more toward ASL, but she signed her age as "26" with a "2" "6" rather than "bent L" "6." First I thought she said she was 36. She was like "No!!" "2" "6." Of course I didn't correct her, I would never correct a d/hh person's signing, but I found it interesting that something so drilled into me by all my ASL teachers was passed up completely by someone who went to a deaf school and signs all the time. I don't know, that was random. Question though; Do deaf people often correct each other? Of course hearing shouldn't correct deaf, but what about CODA's and stuff? just curious,

im a hearing ASL student and my mom is partialy deaf...but thats not why i take asl, ha cause she wont let me teach her sign anyway!

You know what I totally HATE? Hearing people who look upon Deafness as a hobby. Like it's cool that they are interested in our culture and our world....but some hearing people are interested in and have deafness as a hobby the same way some little boys are interested in and have Indians as a hobby.

I am hearing person, & I don't look at Deafness as a hobby, I want to learn it (Sign Language), so that it can mean something in my life & that I can use the experience that I have learned (towards the future), to be an interpreter &/or perhaps to teach to younger generations to those who want to learn. I can't speak for all, or for some others, but I know I can only speak for myself. :cool:

Hi Ya'll,

I am kind of new to AD and enjoy reading. I am somewhere in the heart of Texas and I am SOH. :whistle:

LoneOak

deafdyke said:
You know what I totally HATE? Hearing people who look upon Deafness as a hobby.

Are you talking about the "deaf groupies"? The people who don't fit in with their own culture so they figure they'll borrow Deaf culture instead?

I have never been more impressed with some people's capacity for patience than when watching them deal with these groupies. It's really none of my business since it's not my culture they're hijacking and deaf people can deal with it however they want, but I have encountered problems on more than one occasion when these groupies interfere with my interpreting...and let me tell you, THEN it becomes my business! :mad2:

Hearing here.

I am here because I work with deafies everyday, and I am fascinated by the culture, and wish to learn more. If you think that is wrong, or that bothers, you, I'm sorry. Deaf people are just another group of people in this world. Just like people of different races, cultures, beliefs. You're always going to have the curiousity of outsiders.

cental34 said:
Hearing here.

I am fascinated by the culture, and wish to learn more. If you think that is wrong, or that bothers, you, I'm sorry. Deaf people are just another group of people in this world. Just like people of different races, cultures, beliefs.

I hope that no one gets mad at me, when I would like to agree with you. BTW- I am hearing, too. I also don't look at them as being handicaped because they are deaf. Yes, I do agree. I feel that (in my world, any way) deaf people are just like any other, just as smart & inteligent as everyone in this world.

If they are treated differently. I would like to ask....

Why?!.

If they are all treated as equals, then I am all for that 100%!.
FYI- growing up in my life, I have never learned that word of:"discrimination". So it's hard for me to understand if others do. :dunno:

And that's my two cents.

take care & god bless.

Anne. :)

Back