How many people here are NOT deaf?

:wave: I am hearing, but, also I am a CODA. Both my parent's are deaf. I am with the deaf more than I am with the hearing. I enjoy being with the deaf community, they are my second family!!!! :angel:

Hey all,

I'm a recent addition to AD, and I'm hearing. I have to admit, this question game is fun. I ask most of my deaf questions of my gf, and she puts up with my seemingly innane questions pretty well (Like I once asked her how she woke up in the morning; did her clock have some flashing lights, or did she rely on her hearing roomies to wake her? I felt like an idiot when she showed me her vibrating alarm clock......the idea never crossed my mind :doh: )

Some of the questions people have for deaf people are stupid. I can't tell you how many of my relatives were like "what? She can drive?" Still, I must admit that I can see a possible basis for their question; it is illegal, in my state at least, to drive with headphones on because the headphone speakers prevent you (at least partially) from hearing the sounds of traffic. It could be that some hearing folk are making an association based on that law, though certainly that is not a common cause of such questions.

Anyway, enough of that. On to the questions about hearing!

1. Is there really a difference between a deaf person and a hearing person? If so, in what ways?

Someone else already said it well. Aside from the obvious, the brains of hearing and deaf people are wired for communication differently. I have a running internal monologue as I think or read (yeah, 'speedreading' is not fun for me - it's work! It takes me just as long to read a passage as it would take someone to speak it at a steady pace.) This is merely conjecture, but I have a feeling deaf people often read much faster than people like myself, as they wouldn't take the time to 'pronounce' the words in their heads.

I expect that my way of thinking about language will stall my progress in becoming a fluent reader of signs - my mind processes conversations, be they spoken, written, or signed, at the spead of speaking. I doubt I will ever be able to read a quickly signed conversation.

2. Who is the best singer? And why?

Probably Charolette Church. The things she can do with her vocal cords are amazing. There are others, depending on my mood I suppose. I really like Norah Jones.

3. Is there such a thing as having NO accent with one's voice? If so, would you be able to understand that person?

I'm from Kansas City, MO, but go to school in Wisconsin; I've had professors tell me I have no accent. I'm inclined to agree, but that doesn't mean I'm right.

4. What are the most annoying sounds to you?

ANY people noise when I'm trying to read...... internal monologue thing again. I can read with instrumental (mostly classical) music playing, but if you have anything with intelligible speach, yeah, my concentration is out the window.

Also the ubiquitous fingernail on the chalkboard, high-pitched wailing, etc.

5. Chocolate or vanilla?
Chocolate, I suppose.

Can we hear our own farts?
Yes, unfortunately. Thus the basis of moronic potty humor.

Funny enough, I just learned last week that my gf knows what a fart sounds like. Someone once let a really loud one (110+ db) rip right next to her....... How unfortunate.

Any more questions? I know I'm a late entry to the game, but this is fun.

ok i'll take a shot at these....

1. Is there really a difference between a deaf person and a hearing person? If so, in what ways?

Communication obviously. Hearing take what they have for granted. Our sense of hearing is something that it is hard to imagine us not having. Its part of our everyday life. Deaf on the other hand have adjusted in their own way.

I'd guess development would also be a way we differ. The deaf culture awareness training I had listed several culture differences, such as deaf culture is more collectivist, and deaf are more straightforward with opinions and information. Which, I think, is true to an extent.

Also, I think hearing people are more arrogant and unwilling to accept differences. As I said, we take everything we have for granted. I also think the deaf culture is far more rich than any American hearing culture.

2. Who is the best singer? And why?

Now this is a good question. It is hard to say who is "the best" because there are so many talented. In mainstream hearing society, image is often what is mistaken for talent. People are quick to say "Britney Speaks" or "Jessica Simpson" because theyre featured so much on MTV. That is not the case. In my personal opinion, and by the music I listen to, Charlotte Church has amazing range and timbre for someone hear age. Of the music I listen to, Chris Carabba of Dashboard Confessional, Jason Gleason of Further Seems Forever, Lisa Loeb is very soothing, and Boyz II Men can harmonize like no one else. It really does change. I listen to some music that can put a tear to my eye, and then some of the music I listen to, the screamer sings like "someone's eating his soul." One thing I wish I could share with every deaf person is music.

3. Is there such a thing as having NO accent with one's voice? If so, would you be able to understand that person?
No accent? I don't think so. I can't say everyone has a regional accent, but each person has an individual sound to their voice. Sometimes thick accents do make it hard to understand. Like down there in the south, people talk like they have brain damage. Sometimes accents are stereotyped. But when accents are too thick to understand, it really makes communication hard, where we might as well be deaf.

4. What are the most annoying sounds to you?

Most annoying sounds? Hmm. Baudot tones from TTY s, loud sirens, nails against a chalk board (this is Satan's voice sounds like), although I can do this myself and not feel its wrath. Suburban high school teenagers talking. When I am in an agitated mood, anything sound can annoy me. Farts and friends constantly making fart jokes.

5. Chocolate or vanilla?

Vanilla

Now I have some questions for deaf people: :popcorn:

1. Can you really drive?

2. If so why does every deaf person drive while using their T Mobile Sidekick?

3. Is it really hard to learn braille?

4. Can you really not hear this *knocks annoyingly on desk*?

Yes these questions are jokes. Of course I know all deaf people drive while using their Sidekicks. :P

cental34 said:
People are quick to say "Britney Speaks" or "Jessica Simpson"

LoL... Britney Speaks? Is that a new singer? :lol:

cental34 said:
Like down there in the south, people talk like they have brain damage.

This is very true.... I have relatives in Louisiana who speak Creole and I have noooo clue what they are saying even when they speak in English...

Teg

Malfoyish said:
Means she hears what she wants to hear. ;) In that case, make mine a double. ;)
So, that means she hears, but she's ignoring me right? :)

If she wants to. Its often a term to make fun of those who don't pay attention very well. Such as a student doesn't pay attention well in class. The teacher could say the student has "selective hearing."

deafdyke said:
You know what I totally HATE? Hearing people who look upon Deafness as a hobby. Like it's cool that they are interested in our culture and our world....but some hearing people are interested in and have deafness as a hobby the same way some little boys are interested in and have Indians as a hobby.
I have no idea what you just said.

I have a question for the hearie!

Why is it the hearie peeps get so uncomfortable when I get introduced "This is Cyndi and she can't hear well but you have to face her and speak a little slower so she can read your lips" They're like "umm umm nice to meet you" in a quick tone. And that's it!!! :crazy:

Care to answer?? :|

Originally Posted by deafdyke
You know what I totally HATE? Hearing people who look upon Deafness as a hobby. Like it's cool that they are interested in our culture and our world....but some hearing people are interested in and have deafness as a hobby the same way some little boys are interested in and have Indians as a hobby.

Shes saying that she hates when hearing people take on deafness and sign language because they think its cool, like they arent really connected to it, but want to be recognized as "in" or "unique".

I see it all the time. My first initial sign language classes started out with students joining because they either:

1. wanted to look cool signing. like they were "helping" or "saving" deaf people by learning the language.

And:

2. wanted an "easy A" in school.

Most dropped out the second week when they found out that the class was indeed hard and required alot of work.

Ok... like little boys are interested in being "cowboys and indians" because its cool, or like little girls playing house with little babies and fake kitchens... hearing people going around speaking sign and acting like they are all into the deaf culture...

I hope that makes more sense. Anyways, I know what your saying deafdyke, I see it on a daily basis. Its appalling... but hell, a positive part of it is they ARE learning sign language, and they are learning and respecting the culture... regardless of thier initial hidden intentions something good is coming out of it...right?

katt.

flyfishfemme said:
I have a question for the hearie!

Why is it the hearie peeps get so uncomfortable when I get introduced "This is Cyndi and she can't hear well but you have to face her and speak a little slower so she can read your lips" They're like "umm umm nice to meet you" in a quick tone. And that's it!!! :crazy:

Care to answer?? :|

For me, initially, it was scary because I didnt really know sign language... but wanted to talk to a person who was deaf or HOH. Its like, when your not around it for a long time, you wonder "do I talk louder? how much to I pronounciate? If I talk a certain way, will this person get offended? Do they think Im stupid because Im not sure how to approach this certain situation?"

Its scary for both worlds, Im assuming, from experience. My boyfriend is still the same way around deaf/HOH people, because he barely knows any sign and he is a very quiet person, and has a stutter. Its intimidating when you arent familiar with the language, and that goes for any language... imo.

katt.

Back