How many of you do well-being checks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't work, right? If so, the time and distance is nothing.....you don't have to wait till both are home if you go twice a month or so.....that is, it you really wanted to.....

If I could I would. I can only head down there by invite, and I am hoping to get one this summer, but it depends on their schedule. Also I have to factor in the fact I can't drive, and they can, another reason why I go down south sparingly.

I've told you before knock off the "they ARE in their 50's" baloney. Unless they've got serious disabilities, that's just healthy middle age. They aren't doddering and frail elderly people. They aren't even retired.

Seriously, your "50's" are some of the best years. They are not elderly by any means. Considering Mark is in his 30's his parents are young.

Best to have a neighbor's phone number and give them a call if you think something is wrong. You do need to remember if something bad happened someone would have got in touch with you I am sure.

That has nothing to do with their age. People in their 20's can die from carbon monoxide.

He keeps referring to people in their 50's as though they were on death's doorstep simply by virtue of their age. As someone over 50 it's not out of line for me to state that people in their 50's are not elderly or decrepit, barring any disease or disability.

Are you for real??? There you again trying to put words into my mouth! I did not say that had any thing to WITH their ages!!! I saying we do not know if the house has gas heat and if there was any carbon monoxide detectors in it. There could be a numbers of reason he is concerned about his family that we DO NOT know about. No shit a 20 yo can dies from carbon monoxide! My daughter had a friend that everyone thought was very healthy and he was found dead in his apartment at the age of 39 yo. I just feel there is no needs to jump all over a person because he said 50 yo was old . There a lot more worst things going on in the world than attacking a person for his chose of words .

Seriously, your "50's" are some of the best years. They are not elderly by any means. Considering Mark is in his 30's his parents are young.

Best to have a neighbor's phone number and give them a call if you think something is wrong. You do need to remember if something bad happened someone would have got in touch with you I am sure.

That's kind of a problem-- I have never met their neighbors, because I rarely head down there, but I'll see about setting something up for a future time.

That has nothing to do with their age. People in their 20's can die from carbon monoxide.

He keeps referring to people in their 50's as though they were on death's doorstep simply by virtue of their age. As someone over 50 it's not out of line for me to state that people in their 50's are not elderly or decrepit, barring any disease or disability.

I can't believe you are taking that so personal and you said I take things too personal. Look who talking now.

That's kind of a problem-- I have never met their neighbors, because I rarely head down there, but I'll see about setting something up for a future time.

That is a positive step to make Mark. My mom is in her 80's and if I don't hear from her I either go check on her or call her neighbor to see if she is ok. If I had not heard back from my mom in 2 weeks I would be scared out of my mind. That is just the type of relationship we have.

Also let your parents know how scared it makes you if they do not let you know they're ok. Hopefully now they have learned to at least send a short message of some sort, even if they are ill.

While i think it was a little drastic what you did, at least you did figure what was going on and knew your parents were safe. I knwo you said onyl by inivte, but try going there a little more maybe? Once or twice a year to see your parents seems odd. But yeah try to meet the neighbors or do you have other familiy memeber that live nearby that coudl check for you?

Reminds me I better text my sister.
I did get a chuckle out of the in their 50's statement. I am still sharp as a tack though in spite of my advanced age condition... smiles...

I did just do something though that got my attention. I cooked a nice sockeye salmon fillet with my favorite recipe. A tamari sauce hand rub on the fillet with another hand rub of mustard powder then a nice light even sprinkle of red chile powder and then thin sliced rounds of leek. The salmon is fried gently skin side down in coconut oil in a covered cast iron skillet. Takes a little under ten minutes cook time. I screwed up big time and forgot I had put the chile powder on once already. What was I thinking? It is now not perfect just slightly too hot obscuring the flavors.

I hope they who ever they are do not come and get me. I want to finish the delicious salmon first. Last meal but so good...

Mark baby you need a hobby that will burn some daylight.

While i think it was a little drastic what you did, at least you did figure what was going on and knew your parents were safe. I knwo you said onyl by inivte, but try going there a little more maybe? Once or twice a year to see your parents seems odd. But yeah try to meet the neighbors or do you have other familiy memeber that live nearby that coudl check for you?

Wish I could. And in regards to family members, that's big-time sticky-- all of adults I trust are older than me, and not only that, I am the first-born of nephews, cousins, and grandchildren, meaning I am supposed to know what to do. I have several relatives who are a good 25+ years older than I am, with the exception of my Dad, who was 21 when I was born.

Even fi you are first one it does not mean you need to be in charge of all. Let them help you too, well this is assuming they are not all little kids. Again, try visting more often and if your stepmom is as sick as you say, try to pay a visit yourself even if you have not been invited.

Well, they ARE in their 50's, so I'll probably need to call them more often than I do now. Sounded like this sickness she's dealing with is a really bad one.

Uh oh...my mom is 60 years old. I better call the police on her. :lol:

i-m-old-o.gif

There are many of us 50 and older here. It's a miracle we are able to type and comprehend things here.

I am only 8 years away from being 50 so I better have a plan in place for my daughter and son to check on me. Oh wait..my son will be only 16 years old by then. He better take the time to come down the stairs and check my bedroom to make sure that I am still alive every now and then! :lol:

Even fi you are first one it does not mean you need to be in charge of all. Let them help you too, well this is assuming they are not all little kids. Again, try visting more often and if your stepmom is as sick as you say, try to pay a visit yourself even if you have not been invited.

Not all of them have reached adulthood-- there's only four that have, myself, my brother, and my cousin, who lives a good 300-something miles west. And my brother is in Afghanistan. And going to see my stepmom last minute via Amtrak isn't cheap-- well over $200, and I do not have that kind of budget now.

Look, all other issues aside, if you communicate with someone on a regular basis(every day or other day) being cautious and calling the police, after not hearing from them for two weeks, might be prudent.

I can't say I keep in touch with a lot of people on that basis, but if I had that frequency it would set off a red flag.

Better to be safe than sorry..

Agreed, I call my grandma almost every day, I think by third day she didnt respond i would be going crazy myself.

What's that? I smell a lock coming...

boy I'll say that was poor choice of words "they ARE in their 50s..."! My parents are mid-70s now and they are effin' more active than I am! I have gone weeks without contact with them when I lived away (further than 4 hours)but we do try to via email when we remember- mainly dad and me since mom doesn't "DO" computers. They're in super shape- and one of my siblings is nearby (really nearby lol) plus mom's twin has now moved to the same town.

As for 'being the oldest=must be the responsible one', Not necessarily. Whomever lives closest or is preferred by the parents/older relative is responsible- hell ALL of the family 21 and up should share in the responsibility. Hell I'm the oldest and I'd rather one of my siblings deal directly with any people like hospitals or whatever- mostly because in a situation like that I may not be able to hear what the eff is going on. I'll do it if needed but I'm not about to take the martyr route either.

I would not have gone so far to call the cops on my parents. I'm familiar enough with the neighbors here (having lived here twice now) that I can call them to check- most of them look out for each other as it is. If something happens I know I'll get called.

Aren't there organizations that can assist with checking in rather than tying up police resources? At worst some sort of LifeAlert system might come in handy if you are really THAT concerned.

My mom works and has her own life. She doesn't want me calling her daily pestering her. My dad is semi retired and he and his wife lead active lives. They both have no illness that I know of.

My mom and her sisters are busy doing welfare checks on their mom who is 85 years old and just recovering from hip surgery. Her dad recently passed away the day after last Thanksgiving Day but my mom and her sisters had been flying to Florida to check on him before that. When he was failing. I am sure if my mom and her sisters didn't hear from either parents for a while, they would have someone nearby check on them. My grandmother lives in Phx so she is close to my mom and 2 of her sisters so all is fine. With my grandfather, they kept in constant contact with his wife about him. Now, that he has passed away, I am sure my mom and her sisters would have to set up something soon to check on their stepmother as she is all alone in Florida without my grandfather. However, she is only 63 years old herself and in good health .

My aunt is in Florida for a business mtg and will visit her. It will be the first time my aunt will see the house without my grandfather and she is the baby of his 5 daughters and had a special relationship with him so we all are worried on how it will affect her as she has never been emotionally strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back