How do you feel about Immigrants?

If you are white and have sickle cell anemia, and your partner is black and have sickle cell anemia then the outcome will be the same as with both black/ black or white/ white with sickle anemias..

If both male and female carry bad genes and both of their genes are dominant or reccessive that is what increases the risk, not race alone.

Fuzzy

Would you feel the same way if you are driving down the road and a car blows threw a stop sign and hits you...and you are injured. You then find out that person does not speak english, does not have a drivers license.

let me tell you something - unless some of your descendanst were English it is very possible that it could have been your own ancestor who couldn't drive and speak English and would let someone die... or,
he could be deaf and mute thus unable to communicate anyway...hmmm...

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
If you are white and have sickle cell anemia, and your partner is black and have sickle cell anemia then the outcome will be the same as with both black/ black or white/ white with sickle anemias..

If both male and female carry bad genes and both of their genes are dominant or reccessive that is what increases the risk, not race alone.

Fuzzy

Not disagreeing with you there, and I'm not exactly sure what gave you the impression that the outcomes would be different. The only point I was making is that the general incidence is higher in some large populations--like how Caucasian people tend to get osteoporosis more often. Others can have it, but white people's odds are worse. But obviously ANY pairing (regardless of race) that has the same genetic profile, like you describe above, will have the same odds. Hence my suggestion for individualized genetic counseling.

And none of this determines whether a particular pairing, or their choice to have children, is "right" or "wrong". That's up to the couple themselves to decide and no one should force them one way or the other.

...does not have a drivers license...
Audiofuzzy said:
let me tell you something - unless some of your descendanst were English it is very possible that it could have been your own ancestor who couldn't drive and speak English and would let someone die... or,
he could be deaf and mute thus unable to communicate anyway...hmmm...

Fuzzy
I think the emphasis was that the person didn't have enough English skills to pass the driver's test and get a driver's license.

Reba said:
I think the emphasis was that the person didn't have enough English skills to pass the driver's test and get a driver's license.

Here is a Driver's Handbook in North Carolina.

Too many Spanish-language drivers may not read very well English-language signs on the roads...

Mookie said:
Here is a Driver's Handbook in North Carolina.

Too many Spanish-language drivers may not read very well English-language signs on the roads...
Do they actually take the test in Spanish?

Something that I have encountered, and read about it, is that many Spanish-speaking immigrants/aliens are illiterate in their own language. That is, they can't read Spanish. In those cases, Spanish manuals, tests, signs, etc., aren't useful to them.

I agree about the signs. True, many traffic signs use universal symbols instead of words now, but there are still some directions that are in English only.

Reba said:
Do they actually take the test in Spanish?

Something that I have encountered, and read about it, is that many Spanish-speaking immigrants/aliens are illiterate in their own language. That is, they can't read Spanish. In those cases, Spanish manuals, tests, signs, etc., aren't useful to them.

I agree about the signs. True, many traffic signs use universal symbols instead of words now, but there are still some directions that are in English only.

Yeah, I agree with you.

Why not contact DMV to set up ASL on every sign?

The only point I was making is that the general incidence is higher in some large populations--like how Caucasian people tend to get osteoporosis more often. Others can have it, but white people's odds are worse.

yes I agreed- certain races have certain predispositon for certain genetic diseases. For Black pple it is sickle cell anemia for Ashkenazic Jews it is Tay-Sachs and so on,
but that does mean if a Black person marry Ashkenazi Jew then they will have a child with horrible Sickle Cell/ Tay-Sachs mutant gene? Very unlikely. The offspring may carry both genes - that is true - but not some sci-fi version of two mutated bad genes.

That is why genetic screening is recommened for any person who might have a predisposition to carry genetic disorders/ diseases, but that would apply to anyone not just bi-racial marriages.

Fuzzy

I do realise that, but I also wanted to point out since when it is OK to ostracize immigrants like that if at one point EVERYONE in North America was na immmigrant, and when with the exception of English speaking pple hardly anyone know English upon arriving here?
So why years ago it was OK not to know English for your ancestors, but it is NOT OK to not speak English now?

So what's your point? NOW they can't speak English, now they don't have drivers licence. In a few years they may surpass you and mind you not being deaf they can be of better help than you'll ever be.

Also I am suprised at your attitude Reba- you, a Christian, a Bible student - what did you learn form "love thy neighbour? Why don't you put your efforts into something positive, like "let's help them, let's teach them how to function in this society so they can lead safe and happy life".. wouldn't that be truly Christian attitude?

Something similar happened here. A worker fell into the river from the bridge construction, and died. No one could contact his next of kin right away because he had three different IDs with three different Hispanic names. No one even knew his age. (BTW, he wasn't wearing his safety harness, and he was the only fatality during the entire construction project.

It is responsibility of an employer to reinforce safety regulations in his workplace. He obviously didn't gave a fiddle about this illegal worker. What he cared was cheapo labor. He didn't have to report him as being hired and this way he didn't have to pay taxes either.

Even if the taxpayers paid for someone else medical care, this under the table worker build something for them being paid bupkies. Unioned laborer would demand to be paid adequately..

Fuzzy

Audiofuzzy said:
yes I agreed- certain races have certain predispositon for certain genetic diseases. For Black pple it is sickle cell anemia for Ashkenazic Jews it is Tay-Sachs and so on,
but that does mean if a Black person marry Ashkenazi Jew then they will have a child with horrible Sickle Cell/ Tay-Sachs mutant gene? Very unlikely. The offspring may carry both genes - that is true - but not some sci-fi version of two mutated bad genes.

That is why genetic screening is recommened for any person who might have a predisposition to carry genetic disorders/ diseases, but that would apply to anyone not just bi-racial marriages.

That's the same point I was making--that ANY time one suspects there's a genetic anomaly screening is good. Why is that not coming across? I've said it multiple times...

A biracial individual told me (and I didn't even ask him!) that there ARE sometimes combinations that heighten the risk of a particular defect or another...I was very surprised when he said that.

On the other hand, there are also certain traits that you tend to find cropping up most often between those of the SAME race, too, and may be less of a threat in interracial marriages

When you wrote this I was under an impression that by this you wanted to say biracial marriages are worse because they combine bad genes - which is true in a way that both races introduce bad genes characteristic for one side into one offspring- but I don't know why I understood it will produce mutated super-gene. :dunno:

As for the screening, oh I just wanted to emphasize it again for everyone that's all. Like the more the better, ya know..

Fuzzy

Not my intent. I was trying to say that SOME biracial marriages come with more risks--but on the other hand, some marriages WITHIN one's race come with increased risks. As I think I said before, the two risks probably just cancel each other out so we should call it even.

Truce? :)

Reba said:
Something similar happened here. A worker fell into the river from the bridge construction, and died. No one could contact his next of kin right away because he had three different IDs with three different Hispanic names. No one even knew his age. (BTW, he wasn't wearing his safety harness, and he was the only fatality during the entire construction project.)
Another recent local construction accident:

"A Guatemalan teenager who may have been working underage at a construction site has died after falling from a roof.
Josue Daniel Martinez Castillo, 17, ... suffered head injuries ... when he tumbled through a hole in the insulation of a building under construction and fell 25 feet to the concrete below.
Castillo was the second Hispanic construction worker to die in a fall in Berkeley County since April. A 32-year-old man from Columbia died April 25 when he fell two floors onto concrete at a Summerville construction site.
Rhoad [the county coroner] said he did not know Castillo's resident status. The teenager was living at an unknown address in Ladson and his family could not be reached.
It is illegal to hire anyone younger than 18 to work construction, but Rhoad said a general manager of the contractor told him Castillo had an identification under another name and claimed to be 23.
[In SC] ... 32 percent of those killed were Hispanic, even though Hispanics comprise only 8 percent of the state's workforce..."

Taylor said:
Would you feel the same way if you are driving down the road and a car blows threw a stop sign and hits you...and you are injured. You then find out that person does not speak english, does not have a drivers license. The tags on their car don't go to that car but belong on a different car...and the person has no insurance to pay for your medical bills or fix your car. What happens then? This happens DAILY in the place where I work....
It's common here, too.

Recent happenings in my community:

1. "Victor Hernandez of North Charleston, 17, was killed Saturday in a single-car accident...
Jesus Hernandez, 18, was driving a 1992 Isuzu Rodeo about 5:45 a.m. when he failed to negotiate a curve, ran off the road and struck a tree...the driver and his passenger were trapped in the vehicle and extricated by emergency workers.
Jesus Hernandez was charged with felony DUI...."

2. "A passenger died from injuries he suffered when a sport utility vehicle overturned on Rivers Avenue on Thursday night, and authorities charged the man behind the wheel with felony driving under the influence.
... 35-year-old Mario Lagunas was trapped in the passenger seat...was not breathing and had a very weak pulse.
When officers arrived soon after the 8:30 p.m. wreck, witnesses already had helped pull out the driver, police said. Amado Rodriguez Merino, 33, told officers he drank four beers earlier that night...
About an hour after the wreck, [Lagunas] was pronounced dead from internal injuries...
A native of Mexico, Lagunas had been living in North Charleston...same address for Lagunas and Rodriguez...."

3. "The SC Highway Patrol has issued two felony DUI arrest warrants for a North Charleston man accused of causing a four-car accident on Interstate 26 that seriously injured an Oakbrook Middle School teacher.
On April 30, Oved Fernando Perez, 21, was driving the truck that ran through a median barrier and into oncoming traffic...
M. Emily Fletcher, 24, a sixth-grade teacher was traveling west ... when her vehicle collided with the truck. The two men inside the truck were ejected onto the highway...
Perez, who also uses the alias Jorge Hernandez Galvez, faces two counts of felony DUI causing great bodily harm...
After the accident, Fletcher suffered a stroke caused by damage to her carotid artery, and surgeons removed part of her skull to relieve brain swelling, said her mother...
Fletcher has some paralysis on the left side of her body and cannot speak...she will need physical therapy and will likely spend time in a residential rehabilitation facility. Her recovery could take about a year, the mother said...."

4. "A police pursuit that wound through two counties ended in death Tuesday afternoon when a runaway driver steered his van into a roadside tree...
[The coroner] identified the driver as Gaston Perez Lara of Hanahan. He was in his 20s, though his exact age was unknown...
his hands were covered in dusty dry-wall material, and he was carrying a Mexican identification card...
The episode started in Berkeley County at 12:26 p.m. when the weaving, fishtailing van nearly struck a Hanahan police officer who was assisting a disabled motorist...
'The officer and the citizen had to jump out of the way to avoid behing hit,' [police] said, adding that several nearby construction workers had to do the same.
[The driver] went onto James and Johns islands, slamming the van into a pickup truck...the truck's driver wasn't injured...
Minutes later, the van slammed into the tree, crushing the vehicle's front end and killing the driver...."

There are also problems of "cultural difference".

From a recent local newspaper:

"One man's dinner table may be a little sparse after Charleston County sheriff's deputies seized his three pygmy goats from a sizzling van where they apparently were being kept as a food source, authorities said.

[The goats] ...were being held in an unventilated van at the Carter Road Trailer Court ...Deputies found the furry trio inside the ammonia-soaked van where temperatures hovered around 130 degrees...

The goats had nothing to eat but a few crumbs of stale bread and a splash of water in a pail...the animals were being kept in the van until the owner got around to eating them...

The goats' owner is still on the lam, but when deputies locate him, he will be charged with three counts of animal cruelty...."

The owner is known only as "Roberto", and he drives a Mexican food van (portable fast food restaurant).

Heath said:
Yes, I do know Whites commit crimes too but not that too much or that too often and you know it too.

About the crime : Blacks, Jews, Italians, Whites, Chinese, Japanese, and ALL are NO different to God. They all are the SAME in the eyes of God, because ALL of them are sinners...that included you and me. It doesn't matter if, it is a big or small. Guilty is guilty is guilty. Plain and simple.

Are you sure you are Christian Reba for you sure have very racist attitude here- what does your God says about other races? persecute them ?

Fuzzy

Yes, I do know Whites commit crimes too but not that too much or that too often and you know it too.

pure nonsense. the majority of crimes in USA are commited by whites.

Fuzzy

Back