House Democratic official: 'We've got the votes' on health care

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can thank the Repubs for that one. They are the ones that refused the public option.:cool2:

If you can't afford to purchase private insurance, you will be covered by Medicaid. This has been stated over and over again.:roll:

How will I be covered by Medicaid? They've already rejected my application for Medicaid. And if I fail to win my case with SSA to obtain SSD, they I won't get Medicare either.

Yiz

You can thank the Repubs for that one. They are the ones that refused the public option.:cool2:

If you can't afford to purchase private insurance, you will be covered by Medicaid. This has been stated over and over again.:roll:

Really. Everyone that can't afford private insurance will be covered by medicaid? Everyone? And how are they going to decide who can afford it and who can't? Income brackets? Someone making $40,000 can afford it but someone making 39,900 can't? What about someone who is in sales and makes 50,000 but must drive a 5 state area, wear nice clothes,keep groomed vs someone that makes 30,000 on the net and never leaves home?

Yes things have been stated over and over again. You know what else was stated over and over......If the stimulus is passed unemployment will not exceed 8%......Just because it is stated over and over doesn't make it so. The American people are waking up to this

Health reform and you: A new guide - Health care- msnbc.com

Q: I want health insurance, but I can't afford it. What do I do?

A: Depending on your income, you might be eligible for Medicaid, the state-federal program for the poor and disabled, which would be expanded sharply beginning in 2014. Low-income adults, including those without children, would be eligible, as long as their incomes didn't exceed 133 percent of the federal poverty level, or $14,404 for individuals and $29,326 for a family of four, according to current poverty guidelines.

Q: What if I make too much for Medicaid but still can't afford coverage?

A: You might be eligible for government subsidies to help you pay for private insurance that would be sold in the new state-based insurance marketplaces, called exchanges, slated to begin operation in 2014. INTERACTIVE

Cover more people, but still save money? How?
One of our readers asks skeptically of the newly passed health care bill, "How can the bill cover more people with less money?" Msnbc.com fact-checks this question – and more.

Premium subsidies would be available for individuals and families with incomes between 133 percent and 400 percent of the poverty level, or $14,404 to $43,320 for individuals and $29,326 to $88,200 for a family of four.

The subsidies would be on a sliding scale. For example, a family of four earning 150 percent of the poverty level, or $33,075 a year, would have to pay 4 percent of its income, or $1,323, on premiums. A family with income of 400 percent of the poverty level would have to pay 9.5 percent, or $8,379.

In addition, if your income is below 400 percent of the poverty level, your out-of-pocket health expenses would be limited.

How will I be covered by Medicaid? They've already rejected my application for Medicaid. And if I fail to win my case with SSA to obtain SSD, they I won't get Medicare either.
QUOTE]

Yiz[/

Okay, Yizuman. You won't be covered by Medicaid. You will just be left to die. Insurance coverage for all Americans except Yizuman.:roll:

What is unbelievable? That all Americans will be given what is necessary to afford health care insurance?

QUOTE]

Yiz[/

Okay, Yizuman. You won't be covered by Medicaid. You will just be left to die. Insurance coverage for all Americans except Yizuman.:roll:

He's sincerely not understanding some of the finer points (same with me) here and this is your response?

He's sincerely not understanding some of the finer points (same with me) here and this is your response?

The finer points he appears to be confused about have been explained over and over, and still he is objecting to what has been shown in black and white. Obviously, his mind is already made up. No sense attempting to set right the misconceptions when one has no interest in setting them right.

I encourage everyone to read the actual bill.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/03/18/health.care.pdf

According to the info from dgirl we are even going to subsidize individuals making $56,000....... I can sum up the plan pretty simply :crazy:

:lol:

"Let’s face it: Uncle Sam has a poor track record of forecasting how much new programs will cost. Medicare’s progenitors, for example, stated in 1967 that the entitlement would cost $12 billion by 1990. Actual Medicare spending in 1990 amounted to $110 billion — nearly 10 times the initial estimate. Oops.

CBO’s deficit-reduction estimates are further divorced from reality because they don’t include as much as $371 billion in new spending to fix reimbursement rates for doctors who treat Medicare patients. Imagine that — health reform legislation that doesn’t include payments to doctors. Only in Washington, DC."

CBO’s score: Cloudy with a chance of bankruptcy | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters

For those that are confused about the negative way in which insurance companies have impacted patient care and driven the costs of care sky high:

McAllen, Texas (CNN) -- Even as the health care debate turns to blood sport in Washington, some analysts say the debate is ignoring one of the leading causes of rising costs: the way health care providers are paid.

"They are rewarded for more services, not better services. They are rewarded for more care, not better care," said Dr. Elliott Fisher, a lead researcher for the Dartmouth University Atlas of Health. "Most of the U.S. health system is paid simply for each service, regardless of the results of that service."

The result is what Fisher calls a "perverse incentive" to order more medical services. That may bring a doctor or hospital a healthier bottom line, but it does not provide any better health for patients while driving up costs.

In McAllen, health care spending is growing faster than anywhere else in the country. When the researchers at the Dartmouth Atlas used Medicare's most recent numbers to compare health care usage across the country, they found that McAllen spends almost twice as much per beneficiary as the national average. Many providers use more of everything -- more tests, more hospital stays, more procedures.

SIU Blog: Texas, Pelosi and the doctor bills

McAllen is a small city on the Mexican border in one of the nation's poorest counties, but the population is not exceptionally sick, according to Dartmouth data. Nor does all that medicine make them healthier at the end of the day.

"There's a whole array of services that are delivered in McAllen that patients in other communities are not receiving," Fisher said. "And we have no evidence that provision of those additional services yields any particular benefit to those patients."

In 1992, Medicare spending in McAllen was under the national average. But, since then, the business of medicine here has exploded, and Dr. Javier Ramirez has seen the change firsthand.

Ramirez arrived in McAllen 30 years ago and helped to create this county's first neonatal program. He believes many doctors here have lost their way.

"You have to care for patients first, and then worry about whether you're going to make money. You cannot put money before patients," he said.

Ramirez said many in McAllen's medical community are doing the opposite -- an assertion that put him on a collision course with one of the area's newest, biggest hospitals, Doctors Hospital at Renaissance. Ramirez is now suing the hospital, accusing it of damaging his business and reputation. Though he is one of its doctor-owners, he says he once was barred from practicing there after complaining about the way the hospital does business.

"For a long time, there was a general staff meeting, there was kind of a law: You have to refer [patients] to doctors that are part of the partnership. This is your hospital, make it grow," he said.

And that wasn't all, Ramirez said. He said hospital staffers were ordering tests and procedures he felt were unnecessary for his tiny patients.

"If you have a baby and it's born with a little elevated temperature or a nurse hears a heart murmur, it immediately gets all these tests done," Ramirez said. "It gets no assessment from the physician because they have standing orders. So all of a sudden you're increasing the trauma to the patient because you're doing tests on them -- some of them [tests] are baseless, some of them are not. Also you increase the costs."

It also increases the amount of money the hospital makes, since higher-cost tests, procedures and facilities are reimbursed at higher rates by insurers.

"The way we pay now, some services are rewarded more than others," Fisher said. "And so, hospitals tend to emphasize those kinds of services where they can be sure they'll make a profit."

Because of privacy laws, it is hard to determine if all of those babies Dr. Ramirez talks about actually needed the tests or not. In court documents, the Doctors Hospital at Renaissance denies all of Ramirez's allegations.

The hospital will not speak on the record about the Ramirez case. But the hospital's chief financial officer, Susan Turley, insists that it is patient care, not profit-making procedures, that is the secret of the hospital's success.

"You keep your employees happy, they want to work here and the finances follow. And that's exactly what we do here," she said. The hospital doesn't bill any more than any other hospital in the region, Turley said.

Doctor's Hospital at Renaissance has brought cutting edge technology and world-class services to South Texas, including robotic surgery, state-of-the-art radiology, 45 medical specialties and 17 facilities, she said. What's hard to imagine is that they've been able to finance all of this growth and expansion when, according to Turley, 75 percent of their patients are on Medicare or Medicaid.

Turley says the hospital thrives on reinvestment and efficiencies. But, according to Fisher, hospitals in areas that have the highest health care costs are also thriving from the nation's health care system -- a pattern he says ultimately can have catastrophic results.

"Health care will not be affordable for the middle class in another 10 years if costs keep growing as they are now," Fisher said.

"It doesn't need to be that way."

"We can have much better care at much lower costs," he said, but reaching that goal will require a new way of thinking.

"We are not rewarding what we really want," he said. "We're rewarding people for doing stuff that's paid well. What we want to do is pay them well to do the right thing."

'Perverse incentive' in current health care system, says expert - CNN.com

"Let’s face it: Uncle Sam has a poor track record of forecasting how much new programs will cost. Medicare’s progenitors, for example, stated in 1967 that the entitlement would cost $12 billion by 1990. Actual Medicare spending in 1990 amounted to $110 billion — nearly 10 times the initial estimate. Oops.

CBO’s deficit-reduction estimates are further divorced from reality because they don’t include as much as $371 billion in new spending to fix reimbursement rates for doctors who treat Medicare patients. Imagine that — health reform legislation that doesn’t include payments to doctors. Only in Washington, DC."

CBO’s score: Cloudy with a chance of bankruptcy | Analysis & Opinion | Reuters

Yep, one of my predictions is that the plan will at least double in cost.....I expect the cost to rise significantly in the first two years.

Look like it's possible that Health Care bill can be kill on next election in 2014 if Republic win. :o Isn't it?

2014?

Do you know that there will be Congressional election this November?

If the Republicans takes control of both Congress and Senate in January 2011 following the election in November 2010, will the Health Care Reform Act be killed or modified?

U.S. Presidential Election will happen in 2012, FYI.

Yep, one of my predictions is that the plan will at least double in cost.....I expect the cost to rise significantly in the first two years.

the U.S. deficit will skyrocket astronomically.

Yeah i think he confused the election year and the year most of this bill goes into effect

the U.S. deficit will skyrocket astronomically.

I am not sure....it is already in space, hard to get much traction there....lo. It's like accelerating from 110mph:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back