Hostile society of the hearing people

As for the "numbers game", some may think along the lines of "what if all those with an hearing loss spend just $1 towards the different research that could help the deaf or hard of hearing to hear better...?".

Why play the number game regarding funding the cure for hearing loss? The majority are seniors who are already retired or will be retiring soon? They are usually unaware of people who are deaf from birth. So what you just did is just an attempt to deflect the issue and throw it off-topic.

DPN was anything other than "a few students shutting down a campus". It was a well organized, thought out, and planned protest that showed leadership. And the community was also behind the students. Many hearing participated in DPN. It is a shame that we tend to forget the monumental nature of that event.

Aye. My interpreter said DPN was much larger than the campus. People actually FLEW in from other countries and Canada to join the protest. Why? Most generations before them had a civil right protest (ie. Stonewall, women's suffrage, black civil rights et cetera), but the generation in the mid-80s didn't have a civil right protest, so they saw DPN on the tellie, heard about it on the radio and adopted DPN as an icon of their generation.

I actually knew older Deaf that were part of DPN, and they weren't even going to Gallaudet, or living close to Washington D.C.

Even my mom remembered it. It wasn't as big as the Berlin Wall, but still!

I agree that DPN was a monumental event in deaf history. I never stated otherwise.

That's good to know. Your statement that it was "a few students" gave the impression that you were minimizing the nature and the impact of DPN.

Aye. My interpreter said DPN was much larger than the campus. People actually FLEW in from other countries and Canada to join the protest. Why? Most generations before them had a civil right protest (ie. Stonewall, women's suffrage, black civil rights et cetera), but the generation in the mid-80s didn't have a civil right protest, so they saw DPN on the tellie, heard about it on the radio and adopted DPN as an icon of their generation.

Even my mom remembered it. It wasn't as big as the Berlin Wall, but still!

Dr. Oliver Saks participated.

DPN was anything other than "a few students shutting down a campus". It was a well organized, thought out, and planned protest that showed leadership. And the community was also behind the students. Many hearing participated in DPN. It is a shame that we tend to forget the monumental nature of that event.

I wouldn't know why it would be just a few students when many deaf people would love to have a chance of leadership role without people doubting their ability because they are deaf.

I wouldn't know why it would be just a few students when many deaf people would love to have a chance of leadership role without people doubting their ability because they are deaf.

Exactly. It was a community wide event that drew people from out of state as participants.

That's good to know. Your statement that it was "a few students" gave the impression that you were minimizing the nature and the impact of DPN.

Gave the impression of or you assumed I was minimizing the significance of the event? :hmm:

Gave the impression of or you assumed I was minimizing the significance of the event? :hmm:

Gave the impression of. That is why I stated that it was not "a few students." Couldn't have made an assumption or received an impression without your words. And evidently, I was not the only one that was given that impression.

Now, back on topic.

"a few students shutting down a campus" are the exact words you used. Your choice of words minimizes the significance of the event. The very fact that you are arguing this implies that you either see us as stupid or illiterate.

Gave the impression of. That is why I stated that it was not "a few students." Couldn't have made an assumption or received an impression without your words. And evidently, I was not the only one that was given that impression.

Now, back on topic.

Sweetie take off your gloves because I am on your side.

If I thought the event was small or insignificant I would not have mentioned it...NOW BACK ON TOPIC!!! :cool2:

"a few students shutting down a campus" are the exact words you used. Your choice of words minimizes the significance of the event. The very fact that you are arguing this implies that you either see us as stupid or illiterate.

Hmmm....covert hostility?:giggle:

Back