Hostile society of the hearing people

more so that, the paper/note written for requests like bus or train ticket or buy something can be actual proof! and better yet if they had CCTV...its a hard to deny proof if your efforts to communicate and their facial expression (voices too?) of them being stroppy, breaking the law (if we made this against the law as per discrimination to d/Deaf not just jobs, but access to services! -which is the case - right?) and they would lose everything, and hence the hearing bigots in the system would cease saying its waste of time, because it would be clearly demonstrated as indisputable.

In regards to the OP, to me it seems that people that are insensitive to my disability are also pricks to most people in general. However, I really have never came across a fellow student that I wasn't able to strike up a conversation with. And if I ever have to tell them to repeat themselves or let them know I'm hearing-impaired, they're just like "oh ok" and nothing seems to ever change.

An example would be a professor who doesn't seem comfortable with certain special needs you want. Chances are he's more concerned about the extra "work" he needs to do to get you those services rather then disliking you simply because of your disability.

Point is, people can be pricks. Just because someone is rude or disrespectful to you and your disability doesn't mean they dislike deaf people.

edit: Also, this being my first post here, I cannot believe this username wasn't taken. Srsly.
That has been my experience as well. If people are having trouble with me or bullying me, I usually find out that I'm not alone in having to cope with such people.

When i think about it...the only times that I felt hostility from hearing people was in the educational and at work setting.

During socializing or running errands, I dont experience hostility.

I wonder if it is due to hearing people getting tired of having to adjust their communication needs to meet mine on a daily basis and start acting hostile towards me?

When i think about it...the only times that I felt hostility from hearing people was in the educational and at work setting.

During socializing or running errands, I dont experience hostility.

I wonder if it is due to hearing people getting tired of having to adjust their communication needs to meet mine on a daily basis and start acting hostile towards me?

That would be true IF they bothered do adjust their communication towards me, ones feeling like that don't do this at all.

At my job last year, I truly experienced a hostile work environment because the hearing teachers did not want to sign in the presence of deaf kids or deaf staff/teachers. It was unbelievable.

Back