Hostile society of the hearing people

Many deaf has spoken up...long before these forums were invented. Yet, more ignorant people are being born because people arent born automatically understanding others who are different from them.

People are not born ignorant. They are taught ignorance.

People are not born ignorant. They are taught ignorance.

I have been ignorant about deaf-blind people until I met them. Nobody taught me to be ignorance about them. I just didnt know much about them and whenever I heard about them, i felt pity for them until I started working for one. Boy, my views changed. That is what I mean. Nobody actually taught me that deaf-blind people were to be pitied...I did that on my own.

My point exactly. Why give up? If anyone is upset, angry or mad at my post...good...anger is always the catalyst for change.

AND...Yes ADA law have been around for years but obviously the fight is not over.

Or is it?

It is obvious you have not been on the forum long. Once surfing through the various threads and reading a lot of what is posted, perhaps you will reach a better understanding of where everyone is. Yes, ignorance is no longer bliss, especially in this internet age, and this does not just apply to deafness.

Who is giving up? The Deaf community fought against that bill in California.

Maybe right now, it si hard to fight due to the economy. Many of us just want to work and focus our energies in our families instead of constantly fighting with hearing people over and over again, u know?

Many of us got lives to life. Sometimes the fight gets so tiresome. I did it and I am getting older and I am tired. I want to use my free time to be with my family and close friends who really care...is that so wrong?

No, just don't stop. There are many people out here just like me who want the same thing you want.

It is obvious you have not been on the forum long. Once surfing through the various threads and reading a lot of what is posted, perhaps you will reach a better understanding of where everyone is. Yes, ignorance is no longer bliss, especially in this internet age, and this does not just apply to deafness.

Never said I did not understand where everyone is but nice post.

Raising Awareness of various things has become a trend in recent years. Some methods of the past may not be effective today, so we need to come up with some new and fresh ideas as to how to raise awareness for the d/Deaf.

I, like Shel90, have grown tired of conforming to 'hearing' just because it is convenient for a majority. This is where awareness to accomodate and understand is vitally important. There are laws in place but there is still little awareness of those laws. Some of us, due to be raised by in the hearing mainstream, were taught whilst growing up that deafness was something that was 'broken' and needed to be 'fixed' - something that was shameful and should be hidden. So, it is not easy to suddenly become BOLD and shout it out to the world. Old habits die hard on both sides, both hearing and deaf.

Raising Awareness of various things has become a trend in recent years. Some methods of the past may not be effective today, so we need to come up with some new and fresh ideas as to how to raise awareness for the d/Deaf.

I, like Shel90, have grown tired of conforming to 'hearing' just because it is convenient for a majority. This is where awareness to accomodate and understand is vitally important. There are laws in place but there is still little awareness of those laws. Some of us, due to be raised by in the hearing mainstream, were taught whilst growing up that deafness was something that was 'broken' and needed to be 'fixed' - something that was shameful and should be hidden. So, it is not easy to suddenly become BOLD and shout it out to the world. Old habits die hard on both sides, both hearing and deaf.

I totally agree with you 100 billion percent.

But. just think if a few students were bold enough to shut down a university to demand a deaf president imagine the power of a million with the same boldness. : )

But. just think if a few students were bold enough to shut down a university to demand a deaf president imagine the power of a million with the same boldness. : )

There are many that have been bold in that way many times already. There are many other ways to educate and raise awareness. Public protesting with bill-boards and pickets is not all we can do.

There are many that have been bold in that way many times already. There are many other ways to educate and raise awareness. Public protesting with bill-boards and pickets is not all we can do.

Agreed! Sadly, too often the power of deaf activism is used against its own, however. Rather than promoting ASL, better access to all types of education and communication, and job equality and opportunities, so many deaf community efforts are put towards restricting options and choices for the deaf (squabbling over learning methodologies, blocking legislation to provide greater resources and awareness for the deaf, opposing hearing aids and cochlear implants).

Agreed! Sadly, too often the power of deaf activism is used against its own, however. Rather than promoting ASL, better access to all types of education and communication, and job equality and opportunities, so many deaf community efforts are put towards restricting options and choices for the deaf (squabbling over learning methodologies, blocking legislation to provide greater resources and awareness for the deaf, opposing hearing aids and cochlear implants).[/QUOTE]

Grendel,

From what I have observed since being on this forum, is that a lot of this so-called 'squabbling' over these aspects that you listed is a strong voice on what has not worked for many here, and who is to better know than those who are d/Deaf? Yes some have accepted HAs and CIs but there are not many who haven't expressed some sort of discomfort or disappointment from them. We are continuing to raise a voice and awareness for greater understanding and acceptance of d/Deaf for a workable enviroment for all.

Grendel,

From what I have observed since being on this forum, is that a lot of this so-called 'squabbling' over these aspects that you listed is a strong voice on what has not worked for many here, and who is to better know than those who are d/Deaf? Yes some have accepted HAs and CIs but there are not many who haven't expressed some sort of discomfort or disappointment from them. We are continuing to raise a voice and awareness for greater understanding and acceptance of d/Deaf for a workable enviroment for all.

I'm not referring to what's discussed here on this forum, but to the activism online and in the real world. The 'voice and awareness' you mention here reflects only a small subset of the opinions of many, many deaf & HOH who are proponents of a range of communication and educational options for the deaf. Those other perspectives of the majority outside this forum, which often differ from the majority opinion here on this forum, should also be considered.

I'm not referring to what's discussed here on this forum, but to the activism online and in the real world. The 'voice and awareness' you mention here reflects only a small subset of the opinions of many, many deaf & HOH who are proponents of a range of communication and educational options for the deaf. Those other perspectives of the majority outside this forum, which often differ from the majority opinion here on this forum, should also be considered.

I agree that there is a much wider spectrum of communication and educational options for the deaf and that all these should be considered, however, I cannot stress enough how the hearing mainstream have imposed 'solutions' that are merely experimental trends and medical marvels which cause people to go oooh and ahhh while at the same time hiding the pitfalls and leaving people mis-informed. We are tired of being 'guinea pigs'. Many of us here are strongly voicing that these experimental trends and medical marvels are not workable without an expensive price to be paid by the deaf individual's comfort, well being, their self-esteem etc.

Perhaps with parents being well-educated in the pros and cons it is better than it was when I was growing up. You being one of those parents, Grendel, and as a fellow parent, I appreciate that and give you credit for it.

Yet again, there are ways that we can make things easier on those who are Deaf without the continuation of these 'experiments', leaving medical advancement for cure of sicknesses. We must persue ways in which we can co-exist in the hearing mainstream in our natural state, just as we are, with understanding and respect.

I think some of it is just that some people have that "guarded" nature. That is they're just not very expressive or would rather communicate "through their ears" rather than making face to face contact. Or would rather communicate from a distance than close upfront.

And may sense they'd need to get out of their "comfort zone" in order to communicate with the deaf or those with an hearing loss and may not feel too comfortable with it. And that it may not be personal, just their nature.
Getting back to how some of the hearing supposedly interact with some of the deaf, sometime it could simply be just the tentative vibes some of the deaf or those with an hearing loss may give off in a situation or environment. Sometime it's not just the deaf, it also applies to the hearing. That's why people tend to get along better when they're in a better mood, as opposed to being tired, cranky, uptight, etc.

As for the "numbers game", some may think along the lines of "what if all those with an hearing loss spend just $1 towards the different research that could help the deaf or hard of hearing to hear better...?".

My point exactly. Why give up? If anyone is upset, angry or mad at my post...good...anger is always the catalyst for change.

AND...Yes ADA law have been around for years but obviously the fight is not over.

Or is it?

The fact that you asked the bolded question suggests that you might want to learn a little more about the history of the deaf and hearing, the ways in which the deaf have historically been oppressed, and the ways in which history is beginning to repeat itself today. That should allow you to gain a little more empathy and understanding of the impact that has on the individual.

As for the "numbers game", some may think along the lines of "what if all those with an hearing loss spend just $1 towards the different research that could help the deaf or hard of hearing to hear better...?".

Hearing better isn't the issue.:roll: And that comment could easily been interpreted as hostile, in and of itself.

I have been ignorant about deaf-blind people until I met them. Nobody taught me to be ignorance about them. I just didnt know much about them and whenever I heard about them, i felt pity for them until I started working for one. Boy, my views changed. That is what I mean. Nobody actually taught me that deaf-blind people were to be pitied...I did that on my own.

Ignorance is the state of not knowing. Of course people are born ignorant until they have the opportunity to learn. Just like you stated about deaf-blind people. And then, some people choose to remain ignorant despite the opportunity to learn.:giggle:

DPN was anything other than "a few students shutting down a campus". It was a well organized, thought out, and planned protest that showed leadership. And the community was also behind the students. Many hearing participated in DPN. It is a shame that we tend to forget the monumental nature of that event.

Agreed! Sadly, too often the power of deaf activism is used against its own, however. Rather than promoting ASL, better access to all types of education and communication, and job equality and opportunities, so many deaf community efforts are put towards restricting options and choices for the deaf (squabbling over learning methodologies, blocking legislation to provide greater resources and awareness for the deaf, opposing hearing aids and cochlear implants).[/QUOTE]

Grendel,

Well said. The sqaubbling is the direct result of the deaf perspective being minimized or discounted.

Back