Hostile society of the hearing people

I had never really thought of the hearing society as being hostile until I lost my hearing. Some of them can be cruel and heartless, but then again, a lot are totally cool with us.

My thoughts run on the lines of: If there have been the issues for the deaf and hard of hearing all this time, why has it taken the hearing society so long to begin to understand what we need or are capable of? And, even then, most of them still have no clue as to what we are and are not capable of. I have mentioned to numerous people in a lot of different businesses about the ADA laws and such. Their comment was that it only applied to wheelchairs or blind people. I know better, but it seems that a lot of business people around don't know or are just putting forth the "blind eye".

I had never really thought of the hearing society as being hostile until I lost my hearing. Some of them can be cruel and heartless, but then again, a lot are totally cool with us.

My thoughts run on the lines of: If there have been the issues for the deaf and hard of hearing all this time, why has it taken the hearing society so long to begin to understand what we need or are capable of? And, even then, most of them still have no clue as to what we are and are not capable of. I have mentioned to numerous people in a lot of different businesses about the ADA laws and such. Their comment was that it only applied to wheelchairs or blind people. I know better, but it seems that a lot of business people around don't know or are just putting forth the "blind eye".

in some of my more cynical moments, I think they'll find excues to weasel out of it any chance they get.

I like to go find a blind person and kick them in the knee then watch them fumble around as they are trying to figure out who did it. When I see a person in a wheelchair I put a stick between their spokes so then can't move. COME ON MAN!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?? Hostile???? :cool2:

I suspected that was you who kicked me!!! :mad2: :wave:

Have you noticed that CNN stops captioning after a certain time? I think it is 1 a.m. I watch CNN a lot during my at-home time, and I notice that if I still happen to be up late, CNN stops captioning until the morning. Apparently all deaf people go to bed early.

I go to bed at 1:30 AM some time!! I will have to watch CNN and see if I get any CC.. And apparently deaf and HOH do not vote or buy cars , as I have not seen one ad for cars with CC.

There's a saying in regards to some people, "you can't fix stupid". Seriously, some people are that stupid, no matter how hard we try to educate them in order to help them understand us better.

Yiz

Sometimes, yes. I think alot of it has to do with the fact that those disabilites are obvious. Deafness is a "hidden disability." Also, those others do not really affect communication. Deafness does. Many people just do not have the patience they need to deal with communication problems.

I think we need some clarity here people, firstly, the OP wasn't referring to ALL hearing people, the context was of people in general and how they react to differences.

Secondly, Jillio here, has made a very clear point which I would like to draw your attention to. One of the main aspects of this forum is that people who are not d/Deaf can be enlightened and educated as to what it is like to be d/Deaf. That's the objective many of us have here. It is not just one big pity-party. Many d/Deaf, myself included orginally came onto AD for solace in finding other d/Deaf who share similar experiences to our own, many hearing people with deaf family members are here because they too share experiences. but AD also provides a platform for us to have a voice and an active part in educating people out there in the general public whom this thread is referring to.

Most encounters of hostility towards differences whatever they may be is usually due to ignorance, some encounters are due to plain arrogance, but on the whole these situations can be greatly reduced if people were educated about the differences and gain greater understanding.

Last edited:

My $0.02 cents...the blind eye is put on because many of the deaf don't "speak" up for themselves. Instead, thet create forums just like this to the vent and rant about issues that they have THEY have the power to change.

In many of these forums, the hearing are viewed as outsiders and many deaf insiders won't let anyone from the outside in.

We the hearing are constantly told that we don't understand deaf...we won't never understand, so in turn the hearing put on the blind eyes.

The only way to have people to understand is to let them in.

My $0.02 cents...the blind eye is put on because many of the deaf don't "speak" up for themselves. Instead, thet create forums just like this to the vent and rant about issues that they have THEY have the power to change.

In many of these forums, the hearing are viewed as outsiders and many deaf insiders won't let anyone from the outside in.

We the hearing are constantly told that we don't understand deaf...we won't never understand, so in turn the hearing put on the blind eyes.

Many deaf has spoken up...long before these forums were invented. Yet, more ignorant people are being born because people arent born automatically understanding others who are different from them.

Well - As you are new here, I will not get into a long song and dance. AD has always allowed the hearing to participate in their discussions and such so they can learn. I do speak up for myself when I am out and about. A lot of places around here are now more in tune for the deaf and hard of hearing than they were before. All I am saying is, the ADA laws have been around for a few years and these businesses should know the law and be ready for whatever may come their way. On this forum, you will note, A lot of the deaf and HOH do speak up and make themselves known, if it's a place that they will be going to a lot. Not so much the "once in a blue moon" kinds of things or meeting with strangers. We here at AD have never considered the hearing to be outsiders. Most of us have hearing parents or hearing family members. Some of us are hearing but with deaf or HOH children. Others of us are "terps" in training.

Well - As you are new here, I will not get into a long song and dance. AD has always allowed the hearing to participate in their discussions and such so they can learn. I do speak up for myself when I am out and about. A lot of places around here are now more in tune for the deaf and hard of hearing than they were before. All I am saying is, the ADA laws have been around for a few years and these businesses should know the law and be ready for whatever may come their way. On this forum, you will note, A lot of the deaf and HOH do speak up and make themselves known, if it's a place that they will be going to a lot. Not so much the "once in a blue moon" kinds of things or meeting with strangers. We here at AD have never considered the hearing to be outsiders. Most of us have hearing parents or hearing family members. Some of us are hearing but with deaf or HOH children. Others of us are "terps" in training.

:gpost: kb and shel.

Honeymoon period with the deaf wearing off a little? :lol:

I've never encountered many "hostilities" from hearing people....ignorance and misunderstanding is mainly the culprit.....Can't we all get along?...and I've also heard the quote many times...."everbody loves deaf people"!
But....when a deafie and a hearie have to communicate daily, both parties get on each other's nerves, due to not understanding each other....it's normal. But as far as the blatant insults, that's a different story. Some people just don't have a conscience. Those types are meant to be ignored!

You do have a point here.

For some reason, most people associate being deaf with being mentally ill.

Like you said, it is probably because we don't speak up for ourselves. It is amazing how people will listen to you if you use your voice, but they will quickly dismiss you if you use your fingers or a pencil.

Ignorance has a lot to do with it. If anyone does not fit the 'norm' they are usually dismissed and swept under the rug.

Perfect example: We lived in a predominantly white blue-collar neighborhood for many years when I was growing up. There was a house down the street that my father and a few others would say "stay away from that house". "Why?" I asked. "Because the people that live there are black". Being very young, I did not understand. All I remember was "Blacks are bad". I could never figure it out, since the family that lived there always waved and smiled at me. Never gave me any trouble. I avoided black people and laughed while my friends made fun of them. Fast forward a few years. Many of the customers I worked with were black. I was surprised that most of them are smart, caring, decent, and hard-working. No different from white people. I had a female friend in college, she was black, and one of the nicest people I have ever known. Getting to know them has changed my perception of people with different skin color.

This kind of ignorant mentality applies to how society feels about deaf people. Since they don't understand us, and are afraid of the unknown, we are treated this way.

Also, there is one thing you CAN do to get an idea of what we go through. There are hearing aids that potential interpreters must wear to "mask" sounds for about a week. I was told that about 90% of them freak out after a few hours and remove them. Some could not function at all. It increases their respect for deaf people. Maybe you could try this out.

You do have a point here.

For some reason, most people associate being deaf with being mentally ill.

Like you said, it is probably because we don't speak up for ourselves. It is amazing how people will listen to you if you use your voice, but they will quickly dismiss you if you use your fingers or a pencil.

Ignorance has a lot to do with it. If anyone does not fit the 'norm' they are usually dismissed and swept under the rug.

Perfect example: We lived in a predominantly white blue-collar neighborhood for many years when I was growing up. There was a house down the street that my father and a few others would say "stay away from that house". "Why?" I asked. "Because the people that live there are black". Being very young, I did not understand. All I remember was "Blacks are bad". I could never figure it out, since the family that lived there always waved and smiled at me. Never gave me any trouble. I avoided black people and laughed while my friends made fun of them. Fast forward a few years. Many of the customers I worked with were black. I was surprised that most of them are smart, caring, decent, and hard-working. No different from white people. I had a female friend in college, she was black, and one of the nicest people I have ever known. Getting to know them has changed my perception of people with different skin color.

This kind of ignorant mentality applies to how society feels about deaf people. Since they don't understand us, and are afraid of the unknown, we are treated this way.

Also, there is one thing you CAN do to get an idea of what we go through. There are hearing aids that potential interpreters must wear to "mask" sounds for about a week. I was told that about 90% of them freak out after a few hours and remove them. Some could not function at all. It increases their respect for deaf people. Maybe you could try this out.

Growing up, people never took me seriously whenever I spoke up. After a while, I gave up until I foudn the Deaf community.

Growing up, people never took me seriously whenever I spoke up. After a while, I gave up until I foudn the Deaf community.

My point exactly. Why give up? If anyone is upset, angry or mad at my post...good...anger is always the catalyst for change.

AND...Yes ADA law have been around for years but obviously the fight is not over.

Or is it?

My point exactly. Why give up? If anyone is upset, angry or mad at my post...good...anger is always the catalyst for change.

AND...Yes ADA law have been around for years but obviously the fight is not over.

Or is it?

Who is giving up? The Deaf community fought against that bill in California.

Maybe right now, it si hard to fight due to the economy. Many of us just want to work and focus our energies in our families instead of constantly fighting with hearing people over and over again, u know?

Many of us got lives to life. Sometimes the fight gets so tiresome. I did it and I am getting older and I am tired. I want to use my free time to be with my family and close friends who really care...is that so wrong?

Back