Status
Not open for further replies.

Hwy99

Reaction score
Clinton tells Democrats to unite behind Obama

Aug 27, 3:33 AM EDT
By PHILIP ELLIOTT
Associated Press Writer

DENVER (AP) -- Hillary Rodham Clinton closed the book on her 2008 presidential bid with an emphatic plea for the party to unite behind Barack Obama.

Now the Democratic convention spotlight turns to her husband, as former President Bill Clinton takes to the prime-time television stage Wednesday evening. He is expected to launch attacks on the Republican's presumptive presidential nominee, Sen. John McCain, and on the Bush administration.

Delaware Sen. Joe Biden, Obama's choice as a running mate, will get prime-time exposure as well.

Hillary Clinton, who won 18 million votes but still failed to earn her party's nomination, planned to meet with delegates who still want to cast ballots for her during the nominating roll call Wednesday evening - a symbolic move before Obama is nominated, presumably by acclamation. Clinton has not indicated whether she would have her name placed in nomination or seek a formal roll call vote.

Clinton's aides said it remained unclear how exactly the meeting with the delegates would play out, or how her supporters will react.

"It's not Hillary's job to bring this party together," said Jennie Lou Leeder, a Clinton delegate from Llado, Texas. "It's Barack Obama's job to bring this party together."

It's the kind of talk that Clinton tried to discourage. "I want you to ask yourselves: Were you in this campaign just for me?" she said Tuesday night in her convention speech, addressing her supporters.

Clinton used her prime-time convention appearance to try to silence infighting over how to honor Clinton's campaign without distracting from Obama's upcoming contest against McCain.

"Barack Obama is my candidate, and he must be our president," she said.

Even so, bringing the Democratic Party together is going to take more than a single speech. The best unifier among Democrats going into the final sprint might just be McCain.

"Arizonans are also proud of their political tradition, from Barry Goldwater to Mo Udall to Bruce Babbitt. There's a pattern here," Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano told delegates Tuesday as part of the chorus eviscerating McCain. Goldwater, Udall and Babbitt all sought the presidency; none succeeded.

"Speaking for myself, and for at least this coming election, this is one Arizona tradition I'd like to see continue," Napolitano said.

Republicans, meanwhile, struggled for a bit of the spotlight. McCain has been airing commercials quoting critical comments from Obama's former rivals. Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney, a potential running mate for McCain, came to Denver and said, "Barack Obama is a charming and fine person with a lovely family, but he's not ready to be president."

Bill Clinton, whose reputation took some hits during the primary season, stayed away from his wife and daughter Chelsea - who introduced her mother on stage Tuesday evening. Instead, he watched his wife's speech from convention floor box seats.

"She was great," Clinton told The Associated Press as he left the convention hall. "Weren't you proud of her?"

Obama, 47, formally receives the nomination Wednesday. He delivers his acceptance speech Thursday night at a football stadium. An estimated 75,000 tickets have been distributed for the event, meant to stir comparisons with John F. Kennedy's appearance at the Los Angeles Coliseum in 1960.

McCain and his yet-unnamed vice presidential pick are scheduled to receive their formal nomination at the Republican convention in Minneapolis next week.

© 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Clinton tells Democrats to unite behind Obama- Columbian.com

Not surprising, Obama is soft-hearted just like Hillary :hmm:

Did you see the entire show?
Hillary wasn't the only speaker there to unite the party, although her speech was the highlight of the evening -- it was directed at her supporters who needed to be reassured about Obama.

Hmm, let me summarize Hillary's speech. This article did not include entirely what was going on.

Chelsea Clinton introduced Hillary after the Montana governer's speech. She looks so much like her mom. What a rousing, uplifting speech hillary made. She made a case of why she's supporting obama, and how important it is for all dems to unite on Obama becoming president. She tried to make a point on how health care for everyone was so important, and make it a right (illustrating this point with a few people she met personally who needed insurance). She then talked about how brave women and men were on fighting for women rights to vote (there was an anniversary of that last night). She made a closing point about how we shouldn't give up, and just keep on going even if things seem against the odds. She used the underground railroad to freedom as an example, which was good. Keep going even if you see dogs, torches, etc. She thanked her supporters and jokingly called what she had the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pantsuits. That was a good one.

My opinion is that any good leader unites -- not someone who is divisive, and Hillary was generous in doing this. Say what you want about her, but she was a class act last night, IMO.

Afterwards, a HC supporter was interviewed on her reactions to Hillary's speech. She seemed very disappointed and was near the verge of tears because she felt Hillary didn't address her concerns -- that Obama didn't have enough experience, and now she is seriously thinking about not voting this year. Well, Obama will have resources like qualified advisors helping him through his term just like Reagan and other presidents presumably did.

Well, I feel reassured by Hillary's speech, and I will vote for Obama. Will watch Biden's speech tonight.

Thank you for summary, Liza. I didn't watch the television, just this article that I showed.

You are welcome, PuyoPiyo :)
Thanks for bringing this thread up.

damn. That was a fine speech by Bill Clinton.

(CNN) -- It was a moment Howard Hemsley thought might never come.

The crowd at the convention explodes into cheers as Barack Obama becomes the presidential nominee.

1 of 2 "If three years ago, someone had said to me on the streets of New York that somebody named Barack Obama would be our nominee, I would have said they were crazy," said Hemsley, an African-American delegate from New York. "I volunteered for him for two years, and most of that time I never thought he would win."

Yet Hemsley was just a few yards from Sen. Hillary Clinton as she moved that Obama be named the Democratic presidential nominee by acclamation, before a cheering stadium of delegates at the Democratic National Convention on Wednesday.

"This is something people like me have been waiting for for days, weeks. Years," he said with tears in his eyes. "He's going to the White House. He's going to be our next president." Watch Obama clinch the historic nomination »

Hemsley was one of many caught up in the frenzy of emotions after delegates seconded Clinton's movement and cheered Obama into history. Tears of joy and sadness accompanied the jubilant scene, and many attendees struggled to find the words to express their emotions.

It was an event Henry March thought he'd never live to see.

Don't Miss
It's official: Democrats nominate Obama
Election Center 2008
"I was overcome by joy," said March, a civil rights attorney. "This is one of most significant events in American history."

Others reflected upon the civil rights journey that had led up to Obama's nomination.

"I think about all the suffering, all the pain all the hurt of so many people," said Rep. John Lewis.

"What you see happening here tonight is the down payment of the fulfillment of dream of Martin Luther King," he said. "Just a few short years ago in Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, many people of color could not even register to vote and now, these people are voting for an African-American."

"It was an amazing moment -- not for African-Americans -- for Americans," CNN contributor Roland Martin said.

Even Republicans in the audience felt the drama of the moment. "I was deeply moved and I think that you'd have to be a curmudgeon if you don't see the historic nature of this evening, GOP conservative analyst Amy Holmes said.

"It is a milestone that we witnessed here tonight in our country's ability sometimes to just say, you know, the past is the past," CNN analyst Gloria Berger said.

Avis Johnsonhel of Memphis, Tennessee, said she still could not believe that Obama could win the election. "Look how hard he had to fight just to win the nomination," she said. "It's not just Democrats that are going to vote in this election. I want to think he can win, but I live in the real world."

The extraordinary nomination began with the otherwise routine act of the roll call, in which delegates cast their vote for presidential nominee.

Some delegates voted for Clinton, but Rep. James Clyburn said he felt momentum gathering when the delegates from Arkansas, a stronghold for Clinton, cast all 47 of their votes for Obama.

"It's demonstrating that this party has come together and we're going to be a united group," said Clyburn. "We have taken a large step toward reconstruction in this country."

Obama will speak on Thursday in Denver, Colorado, on the anniversary of King's "I have a dream" speech.

Tears of joy accompany Obama nomination - CNN.com

Hillary can say, "Support Obama" all she wants. I'm not, for many reasons. For starters, Obama bin Laden doesn't wear a U.S. flag on his lapel, remains seated when the National Anthem is sung and he won't stand when the flag is presented. If he can't be patriotic, he can't be president! Get that scum bag Obama out of there!

Hillary can say, "Support Obama" all she wants. I'm not, for many reasons. For starters, Obama bin Laden doesn't wear a U.S. flag on his lapel, remains seated when the National Anthem is sung and he won't stand when the flag is presented. If he can't be patriotic, he can't be president! Get that scum bag Obama out of there!

Have you notice the picture of McCain with Palin. McCain don´t wear US flag pit on his blazer but Palin... ;)

Obama: Flags on a Plane - Political Machine

Check snope.com at # 25 and #28 posts
http://www.alldeaf.com/war-political-news/55027-mccain-obama-spar-over-canceled-troop-visit.html

McCain should have American shoes but he bought Italian shoes for $500...:whistle:

Anyway, my personally view over wear those patriotic material make no sense but word out of their mouth how much they loves America is good enough...

I hear Hilary's whisper said.... "support woman! Power Woman!"

Have you notice the picture of McCain with Palin. McCain don´t wear US flag pit on his blazer but Palin... ;)

Obama: Flags on a Plane - Political Machine

Check snope.com at # 25 and #28 posts
http://www.alldeaf.com/war-political-news/55027-mccain-obama-spar-over-canceled-troop-visit.html

McCain should have American shoes but he bought Italian shoes for $500...:whistle:

Anyway, my personally view over wear those patriotic material make no sense but word out of their mouth how much they loves America is good enough...

Buying "American Made" shoes here is as common as, well, finding anything that is! Where are your shoes made, Liebling?

As for that picture, that's an isolated one, as he has it one the vast majority of the time.

lol, my DC shoe is made in China, not surprised.

Hey look everyone, it's a Fox News automaton!

Obama myths debunked:

snopes.com: Politics (Barack Obama)

I suggest you READ this before you say anything further.

I don't understand.
What you guys are talking about McCain. Does he care about America flag or not?
look

2cwtm6e.gif

I don't understand.
What you guys are talking about McCain. Does he care about America flag or not?
look

2cwtm6e.gif

I don't see why people can't stop it with this flag nonsense.

It distracts from the real issues at hand.

You asked, that's my point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back