Hearing peeves of deaf people

hearing people's pet peeve is that deaf people don't stay on topic

Luckily my kids learned that early. I get them to figure out the tip for math practice.

American's should do like us Aussies - for the most part the service charge is already included in the bill so no need for tipping. (service tax - VAT is also added) Just pay the total of the bill - simple. :D

Wirelessly posted

That we don't make noises during sex and hard to predict what we want as a result.

And yes, someone complained about this.

Wirelessly posted

BecLak said:
Luckily my kids learned that early. I get them to figure out the tip for math practice.

American's should do like us Aussies - for the most part the service charge is already included in the bill so no need for tipping. (service tax - VAT is also added) Just pay the total of the bill - simple. :D

You do realize Australians DO tip? It's not included in the bill.

do we sound slightly nasal when we speak, I'm wondering?

I've had few people tell me that I do sound slightly nasal when speaking? Or it's just my sinus being clogged.....

I as told I sound slightly nasal when I talk too. I was told we use our nose to feel the sound instead of our ears?? I was also told my tongue was too big for my mouth and that made my voice sound muffle.

shelia is a former texan so of course she will sound nasal.

My hubby and my brother's hearing girlfriend say the opposite. They say that deaf people are extremely noisy.
lolol yep but like rockinrobin said if everybody else talking :dizzy: and I remain seat there, look so lost they say "hey you,.. what are you thinking about?" :roll: but really, I'm born a thinker anyway.

another peeves for hearing.. I can speak for my sister who grew up with a deaf sister... (me) :roll: .. that they need to chew their mouths close. even though I did, I need to chew gentle inside. :lol: interesting. but my sister, herself has ubersuper sensitive ears anyway. I always tell her I gave her my extra sense, hearing. she's starting to dislike that. :giggle:

One thing I came across from some hearing friends when out with a group that included my deaf friends was blunt-ness in conversation. My deaf friends tend to be direct to the point and my hearing friends were put off by it. But my deaf friends could not stand how my hearing friends never got to the point in conversations (it seemed to them). I am not sure if it is a cultural difference?

One thing I came across from some hearing friends when out with a group that included my deaf friends was blunt-ness in conversation. My deaf friends tend to be direct to the point and my hearing friends were put off by it. But my deaf friends could not stand how my hearing friends never got to the point in conversations (it seemed to them). I am not sure if it is a cultural difference?

its a major cultural difference. hearing people do not go up to each other and say "Wow! You put on a LOT of weight! Ha Ha you must eat lots of McDonalds!!"

Unfortunately, the deaf do .... sometimes. :lol:

for the most part conversation for a deaf person tends to be very direct out of necessity (the amount of time needed for a complex conversation in sign language would be a lot indeed)
living with a deaf woman and having a lot of deaf friends has taught me a lot.
I have no peeves with them at all but i can see how others would react having less exposure to the deaf culture.

I.M.H.O. there is not enough education in acceptance of cultural difference.
I wish I had gotten the chance to learn asl while i was in school.
but in our schools they started teaching asl recently

Wirelessly posted

That we don't make noises during sex and hard to predict what we want as a result.

Rang the bell into the kisser without a warning?? That'll get some complainers. I just slap them.

Wirelessly posted

Yep, this is very true.

My way of telling her what I want is simple: just roll her over, slap her, and proceed.

You are spot on this one!!!

I don't think it is as much a 'cultural difference' as it is upbringing.

I am deaf, and was taught to use 'tact' carefully, whereas I know a few that have no clue that they are being rude.

At the same time, it is funny how we get right to the point.

do we sound slightly nasal when we speak, I'm wondering?

I've had few people tell me that I do sound slightly nasal when speaking? Or it's just my sinus being clogged.....

I never was told I sounded nasal. I think DDU might be right, It's probably due to coming from Texas.

But then again, I don't know if Texans are the ones who is telling you that that you sound nasal.

Or it could be your sinus like you wrote. Nasonex medication or whatever the doctor prescribe for you can help (my son been taking it forever as he has really bad sinus issues and he is a mouth breather.

Last edited:
I know what deaf people don't like about hearing people. What do hearing people not like about deaf people?

Once in a while, someone may feel left out when my husband and I talk in sign language and they don't like it.

We are the worst tippers.

I can not think of anything else why they do not like us unless we have attitude problem with them?

We might be seen as cold or distant sometimes? Because that's how quiet people are often seen.

I know I personally have a hard time with not giving off that impression. What are your thoughts? Do you do anything to look more open?

Wirelessly posted
You do realize Australians DO tip? It's not included in the bill.

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I'm just one of those people then, when seeing the service charge added, think there is no need to tip, so don't. :giggle: Why waste money....?? :-p

Back