Hearing peeves of deaf people

Wirelessly posted

You do realize Australians DO tip? It's not included in the bill.

Not in WA they don't. Tipping someone is offensive as it implies they are very low paid and need extra via tipping.

Wirelessly posted

SimonJ said:
souggy said:
You do realize Australians DO tip? It's not included in the bill.

Not in WA they don't. Tipping someone is offensive as it implies they are very low paid and need extra via tipping.
Weird. A friend of mine in Perth said it's customary to give people who provided good services tips, even in high-end places.

Edit: We're talking about sit-down restaurants, right? I know it's not the same as North America where we're expected to tip take-outs and taxi services.

Last edited:
We might be seen as cold or distant sometimes? Because that's how quiet people are often seen.

I know I personally have a hard time with not giving off that impression. What are your thoughts? Do you do anything to look more open?

Yes, I have had people get offended and call me rude because I didn't respond to their mumbling, or they were talking behind me and I didn't notice they were addressing me.

Wirelessly posted

Weird. A friend of mine in Perth said it's customary to give people who provided good services tips, even in high-end places.

Edit: We're talking about restaurants, right?

Yes restaurants, I don't go out every night but I have friends who do, they agree service is in the price, you pay and leave, no tip.

So, I am not entirely wrong. Thanks SimonJ! :lol:

It may be some new places that allow tipping but the majority here would be offended. Even hair dressers and taxi drivers would not expect a tip.

Wirelessly posted

SimonJ said:
Wirelessly posted

Edit: We're talking about restaurants, right?

Yes restaurants, I don't go out every night but I have friends who do, they agree service is in the price, you pay and leave, no tip.

Very particular.

This one emphasizes it's rude not to tip at a sit-down restaurant unless the food is crappy. However she did state Australians don't tip delivery boys, taxi drivers and so on-- which we do in North America.

Wirelessly posted

Very particular.

This one emphasizes it's rude not to tip at a sit-down restaurant unless the food is crappy. However she did state Australians don't tip delivery boys, taxi drivers and so on-- which we do in North America.

It may be that in some restaurants here they allow this, I don't go out much myself and am relying on my friends experiences. Some coffee shops now have a tip jar, but it is always empty!

Some of my Australia online friends who moved to the U.S. complained about tipping. They think U.S. should do away tipping. I agree. It isn't really isn't fair for waitresses to depend on tipping alone to survive (still up to the customer to give waitresses a little extra)

Some of my Australia online friends who moved to the U.S. complained about tipping. They think U.S. should do away tipping. I agree. It isn't really isn't fair for waitresses to depend on tipping alone to survive (still up to the customer to give waitresses a little extra)

The problem is, servers are paid less than the minimum wage. That's why they rely on the tips.

I get peeved when Judge Judy tells someone to "Listen harder!"

Back