Hearing Aids users

Originally posted by javapride
i wear a hearing aid all the time but at night i ditch them due to the squealing, will have that repaired soon.....

for CI's i don't like CIs cuz god gave us a reason to be born deaf, and to see little children who can't vocal thier own choice of the CI they will be traumaized by the poeple who are politically against it. and for the poeple who are for it, there's a difference in the community of acceptance. it really depends.
What about those that were born hearing and became deaf?

Originally posted by deafdyke
HAHAHA! :laugh2: Oh, man you rock!!!!!!

stuntchic, how severe is your deafness? I wore BTEs for most of my early school career (three to thirteen or fourteen) as I have a mild-moderate-moderatly severe low frequncy loss and then in jr high switched to ITEs. Unfortunatly they are NOT powerful enough for most losses. They are just a paen to vanity and I've found that it's usually either old people who wear ITE aids or people who haven't quite come to terms with their deafness. Trust me, the difference in power between an ITE and a BTE is amazing! Try switching back to BTEs...you'll probaly find that you can hear a lot more then with ITEs. A lot of people find this! Hey you said so yourself that the ITEs aren't as loud as BTEs.....hey at least the BTE aids aren't body aids :

Originally posted by Fly Free
u have a right to ur own opinion but -- personally i prefer the BTE's not those "miracle ear" IN the ear hearing aid BS and i disagree with u on this discussion abt the BTE's being for the elderly when they mostly chooses those teeny IN the ear hearing aids are mostly for the older folks -- the elderly around here i noticed wear them -- im not embarrassed or "ashamed" of using my BTE when i do wear it -- i just simply be myself -- i still stand by the BTE's and i dont see anything wrong with them they dont bother me and i wear glasses *shrugs*

Hey fly free, deafdyke...

i guess your right - for ages I never wanted anyone to know I was deaf because I was late deafened or whatever you call it.

But in the end i was proud of it, and did try the BTE thinking, what the hell, I just hope they make me hear better - but they dont - i have one of the WEIRDEST hearing losses that the doctors have ever seen, like, I can hear everything, but when it comes to speech, I have a moderate to severe loss - i cant hear voices basically.

So i have a feeling im a little biased there. Thanks for your reply - made me think about the other side.

But im curious - are your BTE's really that comfortable?? i tried and TRIED to wear mine, but they just got in the way??
thanks for voicin yr opinion

cheers;)

Last edited:
I have a moderate to severe loss - i cant hear voices basically.So i have a feeling im a little biased there. Thanks for your reply - made me think about the other side.
But im curious - are your BTE's really that comfortable??
Actually in that case ITEs might be best for you. I have a friend who has a profound loss and she says she can hear voices better with ITEs (she lives in UK and has both ITEs and BTEs...lucky duck! ) On the other hand....BTEs are a lot more powerful and they come in wicked cool colors! You can even get colored tubing! (something I REALLY want!) Yes, they are a lot more comfy then ITEs. Instead of a hard plastic shell, you can get a soft colored(or glow-in-the-dark, or sparkly or color-changing) earmold with tubing. I have a purple earmold (looks like its made out of Play-doh) and it is SO comfy even compared to the standard earmold that looks like it's made out of earwax. My advice is to experiment. You may find that you can hear a lot more then with an ITE (hell I can, and I only have a mild-moderate-moderately severe loss!)

hmm yes wearing hearing aids is a pain at times and i used to dislike that they prevented me from participating in water fights, etc. but then i realized that there are so much more that i can participate in. And also before this year, i had always viewed them as a necessity-the first thing i put on when i wake up and the last thing i take of when i go to sleep but now, i'm appreciating the absence of such noise in my ears :)

Originally posted by MissTiramiSu
hmm yes wearing hearing aids is a pain at times and i used to dislike that they prevented me from participating in water fights, etc. but then i realized that there are so much more that i can participate in. And also before this year, i had always viewed them as a necessity-the first thing i put on when i wake up and the last thing i take of when i go to sleep but now, i'm appreciating the absence of such noise in my ears :)
I thought everyone takes them off at night? I know my ex did, and she had them off most of the time when we were in the house.

you cant sleep with them in, can you?? I always take mine out. I only sleep in them accidentally,. like when Im trashed!:naughty:
They squeal, and hurt, and besides, you gotta give yr ears a rest some of the time, night is the best;)

I am curious, does the SSI, SSDI, or Medicare/medicard cover the costs of replacing hearing aids?

Well,

from reading some of your posts, I can see that hearing aids do not help. That is why I believe every individual has the right to choose whether they want to wear a hearing aid, CI or nothing at all. From my own experience, hearing aids have helped me greatly and because my parents have taught me how to use them to my full potential, I can hear very well. I am profoundly deaf but despite this I can still hear music and with the lyrics memorised, I can hear the words sometimes. I think only profoundly deaf people with a CI can actually hear the words without being told what they are first. But of course it takes a lot of mental discipline to learn the sounds as well as patience.

I just want to say that hearing aids have benefited me and that I am thankful for the hearing aid technology. While I am thankful for this, I would not consider a CI as it would mean disrupting my life to learn to hear all over again. My hearing aids have also helped me to talk well.

Ziusudra

Myself raise with hearing aids when my parents were learned that my both ears is several to profound. So they get me the hearing aids until now I can't hear with the hearing aids. I learn that hearing aids can be abuse the both ears for large type kind of hearing aids because that is powerful sounds level for profound. Now I don't hear anything and went to take some hearing test to see what my profound gone down or up. It become serious profound as they says. They are offering me about cochlear implant but they explained the different hearing aids and cochlear implant are similar same but the cochlear implant recived a lot sounds directly to the brain. It will not that going be possible disrupting to learn all over again like a baby step. It might be same but picking up the new sounds that never heard. For example, I never heard the bug made a music. I read the book about the bugs stuff when I was little. They do made a music in some way. Which I wore the hearing aids that doesn't pick up that kind of sounds.

I also learn that hearing aids brand is different feature too. I like hearing aids but cochlear implant will be different for me. Because I will learn few new sounds beside cochlear implant and hearing aids are much same expect the surgery issue.

Originally posted by illustrator
do you always hate to wear it?

I don't wear hearing aids anymore, because they don't help me hear at all. I stopped wearing them since year 1992.

I had two hearing aides but it makes me headaches so I stopped wear it. My Left ear can hearing bit then FINE but not Right ear isn't! I use the Right hearing aides to help me hear on Left to hear better. If I wear Left then Right hear NOTHING..... Both hearing aides MAKES me big headaches because it goes forth and backward on each hearing aides like crossover, u know. :D

i wear hearing aid ALL the time unless its too hot like this weather i ll have it off for a certain period of time :) and yes i take it out during night so i dont have to have it feel like a block is on my ear lobe :)

Hey guys and gals!

I'm getting new digital hearing aid soon, the medicare and medicaid FINALLY approved!!!!!!!!!!

My fairview-university hospital audiogolist told the cost of digital hearing aid just 1 of up to $3,000.00! but they don't sell the hearing aids in the fairview, and they've referred me over to hennepin county hospital that they sells and order new digital hearing aid.

Digital Hearing Aid;
Programmable computerized control for adjustments of better sound and more powerful.

Analog Hearing Aid;
Old, non-programmable and manually adjustments. It's not powerfully, just low soundings.

Re: I have cochlear implant

Originally posted by VamPyroX
I know how you feel. Here at RIT, there has been a huge increase in CIs. I know about 10 people here who were already students here for at least 2 years, suddenly decided to get CIs during the summer. There are a few others who got CIs during April/May of 2002... and got rid of it cuz they regretted getting CIs. Also, a lot of people here are suggesting that I get it... yet, I hear and understand better than they do while I wear ordinary hearing aids!

oh my god! They must be excite because of better chance in advance technology than old days. :shock:

Well, I am not sure where I leave my hear aids somewhere in my apartment. Hmm....

I wear my hearing aids all the time except when I sleep, of course, oh yeah, and shower too! but other than that, I can't live without them!

New user

Wow! seems that almost everybody is agains hearing aids here!!!!
I'm a new wearer and it looks like they help me much...... do you think i'll change my opinion soon?????

I wear my BTEs most of the time when I am around other people, even though I have no speech discrimination in my left ear. I usually don't wear them at home.

Cain Marko said:
Who is "our"?

How can you say they dont understand what its like to be deaf? CI users are deaf. Or do you think of them as hearing? WTF??

How can you say that other deaf people dont understand what its like to be deaf? Is there only one way of being deaf?

I'm not sure I understood what you meant in your post.

I was thinking the same thing....CI users are deaf too.

kuifje75 said:
What I meant is that some deaf ppl are just happy with who they are, without the ability to hear. I am tired of CI users who come to me and say that I should have a CI, etc... I am like no thanks, I dont want one. I am happy the way I am. They just keep on insisting that it is the best thing, bla bla bla. I am like grrrr shut up.

Don't misunderstand this, as I am not against anyone. I am just against ppl trying to tell me what to do. Thats all. As for "our" I should have said "my."

I understand now. :)

I used to wear two BTEs since I was little up to 14 years old. I stopped wearing the BTE for left ear since it doesn't help me much anymore, but I still wear one on the right ear.
I wear my hearing aid all the time, except for sleeping, showering, and swimming. I don't mind wearing mine...they help me alot. :)

Back