Hate new cars

Well call it BS all you want because Im still in this world.
Want to see one of my toys, maybe 2? Tell me whats under the hood of the baja...lol

I'm jealous. But I have been molesting million of the vehicles in my mechanic life, feels good.

I really dont care, He might be up on the electronics and all so what?
No Im not closed minded, Ive owned new cars, just dont like them like I do older cars

HE ONLY LIKE THE NEWER CARS BECAUSE THEY MAKE HIM MONEY... NOW ANYONE DISAGREES?

Reason is, about 99% of the world doesnt have a clue how to work on their own cars, especially newer cars, I got the skills, get a read and fix it unless it requires special tools I dont have.

What happens when a novice changes the brake pads on a NEW car and bleed the brakes? Correct the ABS dash light comes on and has to be reset at a dealership, because of some bullshit with the ABS.
some things I can do, some things I cant, not gonna pull your string and give you a bullshit story, so get off your high horse.
Generally speaking I like older cars, easier and cheaper to work on as well as simplier, not closed minded as I owned newer cars before, just cost too much in repairs.

Anytime you work on brake jobs of Euro vehicles you need scan tool to clear ABS lights or codes and also retracting electronic E-brake in rear calipers by thru scan tool to activating the rear caliper retracting while clamp the piston down. Newer vehicles with electronic E parking, you never touch rear brake calipers for pad or rotor replacement, send it to dealer or independent repair shop.

First, I'm not talking about greenhouse gas (climate change), that's very different.

The pollution is very localized to metro and it don't spread over the earth. There are many people complained about pollution so leading for government to regulate. Back in 60s, LA metro had worst smog but not much today.

I support regulation for pollution to protect the public health and improve the air quality, not climate change.

The regulation for climate change is more strict and restrictive than regulation for pollution, also there is no significant evidence about human caused climate change.

ha, but without pollution there would be no global warming, no climate change, just think !
it doesn't happen independently of fossil fuels, spray, petroleum products

I would think that for people who live where there is a lot of snow, sand and salt, buying an older car would be the way to go.

Just curious...for the people buying new cars do you use Consumer Reports to see how they are rated? Consumer Report is my husbands bible:)

As a women one of my biggest fears is breaking down in the middle of nowhere. Especially now that I am deaf. My vehicle has to be reliable.

Yes right. Blame on California by who? People...

There were many people complained about pollution and poor air quality that forced politicians to regulate on pollution.

Also, it is over US, not just California only.

ha, but without pollution there would be no global warming, no climate change, just think !

There are fossil fuels that are cleaner than others like natural gas is cleaner than coal.

There are many people don't believe that emission caused climate change due to lack of evidence.

no concrete evidence supports that statement but what's for sure is that climate change is already happening. why? the reason is still unknown.

no concrete evidence supports that statement but what's for sure is that climate change is already happening. why? the reason is still unknown.

Climate changes have happened for billions of years, Government just putting a scare into people to make money...
There was the ice age, then the heat waves... its never ending, also the earths polarity is getting ready to change as well...
It is nature running its course, nothing new, just everyone trying to make money off of fear.

Climate changes have happened for billions of years, Government just putting a scare into people to make money...
There was the ice age, then the heat waves... its never ending, also the earths polarity is getting ready to change as well...
It is nature running its course, nothing new, just everyone trying to make money off of fear.

Do you understand about difference between pollution and climate change?

I care about pollution for health reason, but climate change :dunno:

And so is the forest fires, average forest fires polluted much worse than entire automobile emission in USA.

do you know naturally, volcanos emit more toxic wastes into the atmosphere daily... when they erupt theres more than whats produced worldwide in a matter of seconds.

Oh okay, its within time frame where I haven't checked for a good while. I still remember many countries still have leaded gas and that was last memory jogging around 2000. LOL

But still, there are other factors that are way way way worse than what we are doing.

You got wrong information about leaded gas.

Mexico, China and many countries in South America already banned on leaded gas

Tetraethyllead - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The leaded gas is getting rare now and most countries ban on leaded gas for health reason, not much related to emission.

Oh okay, its within time frame where I haven't checked for a good while. I still remember many countries still have leaded gas and that was last memory jogging around 2000. LOL

But still, there are other factors that are way way way worse than what we are doing.

How is much worse? care to explain.

Also, Ford could use Cummins engine in F250 and widen the space so they will classify as heavy truck - exempt from CAFE and most EPA regulation.

Customers still buy Ford trucks so they aren't going change anything until customers stop buying.

How old is your truck? I noticed that you said that your truck has no catalytic converter. Is it older than 1975? Diesel trucks have own catalytic converter but different words.

There were many people complained about pollution and poor air quality that forced politicians to regulate on pollution.

Also, it is over US, not just California only.

Right, California started in early 1960's then US government (EPA) and auto manufacturers follow California's strict emission....What I was told is smog history book

I would think that for people who live where there is a lot of snow, sand and salt, buying an older car would be the way to go.

Just curious...for the people buying new cars do you use Consumer Reports to see how they are rated? Consumer Report is my husbands bible:)

As a women one of my biggest fears is breaking down in the middle of nowhere. Especially now that I am deaf. My vehicle has to be reliable.

My wife is no fear of her car break down on the road because she ask me to check out her car before her long trip. Did your hubby teach you how to check oil/water/tires? Just curious...

Also, Ford could use Cummins engine in F250 and widen the space so they will classify as heavy truck - exempt from CAFE and most EPA regulation.

Customers still buy Ford trucks so they aren't going change anything until customers stop buying.

How old is your truck? I noticed that you said that your truck has no catalytic converter. Is it older than 1975? Diesel trucks have own catalytic converter but different words.

CAFE? You mean CARB?

Carry on back to topic please.

A relatively new source of air contamination, automobile emissions posed different problems than manufacturing discharges such as coal smoke. Before the Industrial Revolution, levels of toxic chemicals in the air were relatively low, but increased fossil-fuel production and use dramatically decreased air quality. The addition of many thousands of cars on the road in the years after World War II intensified the spread of air pollution, added more and newer sources of pollutants, and most immediately threatened many major cities.

As early as 1959, eye irritation was reported in Los Angeles County on 187 days; in 1962, 212 days. A typical car produced in 1963 (without pollution control devices) discharged 520 pounds of hydrocarbons, 1,700 pounds of carbon monoxide, and 90 pounds of nitrogen oxide for every 10,000 miles traveled. In 1966, 86 million of approximately 146 million tons of pollutants discharged into the air in the United States was attributable to motor vehicle traffic.

As early as 1953, Los Angeles County Supervisor Kenneth Hahn inquired of Detroit automobile makers as to whether research was being conducted to eliminate emissions. The response was vague. With the threat of mandatory federal regulations, the auto industry began to install crankcase blowby devices (which returned unburned gases to the combustion chambers) on their cars. This was a significant advance because crankcase blowby produced 25 percent of the engine's hydrocarbon emissions. This equipment became mandatory on all cars sold in California beginning with the 1963 models.

Catalytic converters were required on all 1975 cars sold in California. Leaded gasoline, however, played havoc with the catalysts. One solution was to use lead-free or unleaded gasoline. (Another was the unauthorized removal of the devices by motorists.) While non-leaded gas became available, the complete phase-out of leaded gasoline, as stated earlier, did not commence until 1986.

Lots of history about emission in this link: Automobile and the Environment in American History: Auto Emissions and Air Pollution

Diesel engine didn't have Catalytic converter until sometime in 2003, mine is 2K. There was no emission controls on Diesel engine until around 1994.

Gasoline and Diesel is completely different kind of fuel, both have different combustion process.

Gasoline, to make combustion energy, it needs air, fuel and ignite though spark plugs. Their compression ratio, which I can't recall but is around 1:10 something like that.

Diesel, to make combustion energy, it needs HOT air, fuel and higher compression to the point where the atmosphere air gets too hot, diesel fuel reacts to that type of atmosphere pressure and detonate naturally to produce mechanical energy,. that is why spark plug is not needed for Diesel.

Back to point, Gasoline has complete different chemical structure than Diesel, thus emission control would have to be design completely different. They have to figure out what kind of materials for Catalytic converter that would work with Diesel, it is not same as gasoline version as I believe. EPA originally decided to focus on Gasoline emission control, and plan to add Diesel emission controls at much later date which is already done (Around 1998).

Diesel engine didn't have Catalytic converter until sometime in 2003, mine is 2K. There was no emission controls on Diesel engine until around 1994.

Gasoline and Diesel is completely different kind of fuel, both have different combustion process.

Gasoline, to make combustion energy, it needs air, fuel and ignite though spark plugs. Their compression ratio, which I can't recall but is around 1:10 something like that.

Diesel, to make combustion energy, it needs HOT air, fuel and higher compression to the point where the atmosphere air gets too hot, diesel fuel reacts to that type of atmosphere pressure and detonate naturally to produce mechanical energy,. that is why spark plug is not needed for Diesel.

Back to point, Gasoline has complete different chemical structure than Diesel, thus emission control would have to be design completely different. They have to figure out what kind of materials for Catalytic converter that would work with Diesel, it is not same as gasoline version as I believe. EPA originally decided to focus on Gasoline emission control, and plan to add Diesel emission controls at much later date which is already done (Around 1998).

Oh wow, that's interesting about diesel engine didn't have catalytic converter until later.

Yes, diesel is very common in Europe but it was uncommon in US, except for school buses and semi trucks. I didn't understand why US government hadn't switch to diesel for all cars, even they didn't go after ethanol during oil crisis in 1973.

What you think about catalytic converter?

I prefer diesel all way but I won't buy Ford cars with diesel due to tighten space, so my friend recommended Dodge trucks if I want go with diesel.

Back