Hate new cars

Right, and its politics but after reading the link that Calvin posted. It DOES makes sense, I do recall some of these events.

First, Catalytic converter COST money. That is why I am not crazy about it. The main reason why I like older cars, especially trucks better than today is the same reason what Henry Ford intention of his improvised mass production... To allow working man afford car, and able to fix by themselves anywhere, anytime. That is truly AMERICAN, we achieved where nobody in world history has achieved. Ahh, back to point... this why I like to work on my truck, what's wrong with that? I like take care of my truck than letting somebody else molesting my baby... eh?

If you want Diesel trucks, check "The best Diesel truck ever built" through google and you will see which year is best for what make and model. All big three had their best and worst Diesel trucks. 1999-01 Ford 7.3L was one of two best Diesel engine they ever built. Dodge, and GM had their best, but I decided Ford, why? Simply, it is about interior space. I love spacious interior, if you check Chevy, Dodge crew cab, super crew cab trucks and compare them with Ford, get inside these trucks front and back, and you will understand what I mean.... And the front appearance, its very sexy! Especially first generation of Super Duty like what I have right now. I noticed GM is "Trying to" copy Ford's front style, new GM trucks looks similar as Ford Super Duty.

Bottom line, I am very proud to be American! I can't live without 4 wheels and a motor to push it! Perhaps it is an addiction that American have fallen into too deeply, eh?

Oh wow, that's interesting about diesel engine didn't have catalytic converter until later.

Yes, diesel is very common in Europe but it was uncommon in US, except for school buses and semi trucks. I didn't understand why US government hadn't switch to diesel for all cars, even they didn't go after ethanol during oil crisis in 1973.

What you think about catalytic converter?

I prefer diesel all way but I won't buy Ford cars with diesel due to tighten space, so my friend recommended Dodge trucks if I want go with diesel.

Today's diesel trucks require DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) to control diesel emissions.

In California...

The regulation requires diesel trucks and buses that operate in California to be upgraded to reduce emissions. Newer heavier trucks and buses must meet PM filter requiremetns beginning January 1, 2012. Lighter and older heavier trucks must be replaced starting January 1, 2015. By January 1, 2023, nearly all trucks and buses will need to have 2010 model year engines or equivalent.

On-Road Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles (In-Use) Regulation

Trucks must have this on the drivers side:

m-californiacertifiedcleanidlesticker-southlandintl-cr-eel-1.jpg

Many companies are scrapping older trucks to meet California laws and have to have this clean diesel engine sticker like above. Other state truckers that do not have the such sticker are not allowed to enter California I think.

Guess I am very unwelcome to California. Too bad, I love Los Angeles.

Yep, DEF requires on 2011 and afterward.

Today's diesel trucks require DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) to control diesel emissions.

In California...

On-Road Heavy-Duty Diesel Vehicles (In-Use) Regulation

Trucks must have this on the drivers side:

m-californiacertifiedcleanidlesticker-southlandintl-cr-eel-1.jpg

Many companies are scrapping older trucks to meet California laws and have to have this clean diesel engine sticker like above. Other state truckers that do not have the such sticker are not allowed to enter California I think.

Your pickup truck is fine.. cuz this law applies to semi trucks.

Guess I am very unwelcome to California. Too bad, I love Los Angeles.

Yep, DEF requires on 2011 and afterward.

Yes, I noticed LA is very dirty air while SF area is better. Central California is also dirtier too because the mountain is blocking the winds from the Pacific to blow dirty air away.

Calvin, great article. Brings back memories of my school days in Southern CA. We had SMOG days where we could not go outside. Los Angeles is the worst city in the USA for air quality. No wonder California was the first in the USA with strict regulations regarding auto emissions and air pollution. I for one am very grateful.

From the link I provided earlier:

The regulation applies to nearly all privately and federally owned diesel fueled trucks and buses and to privately and publicly owned school buses with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) greater than 14,000 pounds. The regulation provides a variety of flexibility options tailored to fleets operating low use vehicles, fleets operating in selected vocations like agricultural and construction, and small fleets of three or fewer trucks.

Your Excursion doesn't apply for the law.

Ok, BTW it is Excursion, same frame and chassis as pick up, looks like SUV.

I know what you mean, it is just the saying. I know I can drive there but they would be likely not going to give me the "warm welcome". Its like you can visit here, just that your not welcome, and we are not stopping you because your just another visitor that don't conduct business with them.

I know what you mean, it is just the saying. I know I can drive there but they would be likely not going to give me the "warm welcome".

Seriously, people in Los Angeles don't care what you drive. Huge variety of people as well as vehicles. It's too crowded for me. Nice to visit, really nice to leave. IMO

It's more than just on the road vehicles they impose stricter emissions standards on. Tractors and lawn mowers are required to comply too in California. An example, here is a Craftsman riding mower the CA model costs $125 more than a non CA model.

Non CA model:
Sears.com

CA model:
Sears.com

Yup, anything gas powered equipments is strict in California.

It's more than just on the road vehicles they impose stricter emissions standards on. Tractors and lawn mowers are required to comply too in California. An example, here is a Craftsman riding mower the CA model costs $125 more than a non CA model.

Non CA model:
Sears.com

CA model:
Sears.com

it's illegal to buy non CA catalytic converter in California. You must buy CA approved Catalytic Converter in California.

Do you have any idea to solve the pollution issue to protect the health without catalytic converter?

Several cars and trucks without catalytic converter isn't going see any difference with pollution, but remove catalytic converter from all cars and trucks are going make a huge difference. I know some people removed catalytic converter and replaced with straight pipe, but it probably won't pass the emission inspection in some metro.

Thanks for info about diesel trucks. :)

Right, and its politics but after reading the link that Calvin posted. It DOES makes sense, I do recall some of these events.

First, Catalytic converter COST money. That is why I am not crazy about it. The main reason why I like older cars, especially trucks better than today is the same reason what Henry Ford intention of his improvised mass production... To allow working man afford car, and able to fix by themselves anywhere, anytime. That is truly AMERICAN, we achieved where nobody in world history has achieved. Ahh, back to point... this why I like to work on my truck, what's wrong with that? I like take care of my truck than letting somebody else molesting my baby... eh?

If you want Diesel trucks, check "The best Diesel truck ever built" through google and you will see which year is best for what make and model. All big three had their best and worst Diesel trucks. 1999-01 Ford 7.3L was one of two best Diesel engine they ever built. Dodge, and GM had their best, but I decided Ford, why? Simply, it is about interior space. I love spacious interior, if you check Chevy, Dodge crew cab, super crew cab trucks and compare them with Ford, get inside these trucks front and back, and you will understand what I mean.... And the front appearance, its very sexy! Especially first generation of Super Duty like what I have right now. I noticed GM is "Trying to" copy Ford's front style, new GM trucks looks similar as Ford Super Duty.

Bottom line, I am very proud to be American! I can't live without 4 wheels and a motor to push it! Perhaps it is an addiction that American have fallen into too deeply, eh?

I might be off topic here but have you ever driven behind a car with a bad catalytic converter?.....smells like rotten eggs, burns your eyes and throat. This was in the early 1980's. I had a Chevy Chevette, first brand new car. In the shop constantly, finally had to sell it.

I might be off topic here but have you ever driven behind a car with a bad catalytic converter?.....smells like rotten eggs, burns your eyes and throat. This was in the early 1980's. I had a Chevy Chevette, first brand new car. In the shop constantly, finally had to sell it.

I didn't recall about bad catalytic converter.

It seems like some people have good reason to remove the catalytic converter and replace with straight pipe.

It will going fail in Texas due to emission inspection (in larger metro) and safety inspection (not know if they could find out that car come with no catalytic converter).

Couple years ago I had check engine light came on, the code shows there is a bad catalytic converter. I had to get it replaced and the light hasn't come back on since.

Catalytic converters tend to fail when you have engine problems i.e. misfire, overheating, improper fuel mixture. High mileage is another thing.

I didn't recall about bad catalytic converter.

It seems like some people have good reason to remove the catalytic converter and replace with straight pipe.

It will going fail in Texas due to emission inspection (in larger metro) and safety inspection (not know if they could find out that car come with no catalytic converter).

Back