Grand jury announce decision on Darren Wilson on TV 8PM tonight

To be a police officer, a person must have at least 2-3 years of college and a degree in Criminal Justice. Some police departments might require more than that, and some officers have joined the force if they were in the military, which is another way to do so, but they would still have to go through the Academy first, and if they pass, get through the one year probationary period many departments have.

You don't know what you're talking about a person can take the BLET with no college period but has to be sponsored by a law enforcement agency. My nephew took it right out of high school has been a cop for 8 years now and is in college part time taking classes totally unrelated to law enforcement.

You don't know what you're talking about a person can take the BLET with no college period but has to be sponsored by a law enforcement agency. My nephew took it right out of high school has been a cop for 8 years now and is in college part time taking classes totally unrelated to law enforcement.

My uncle was a cop, so I know a little bit about it, but not everything, obviously. He was a cop for almost 25 years in two states. I can ask him about certain things when the timing is right, but not now, given where he's at now.

To be a police officer, a person must have at least 2-3 years of college and a degree in Criminal Justice. Some police departments might require more than that, and some officers have joined the force if they were in the military, which is another way to do so, but they would still have to go through the Academy first, and if they pass, get through the one year probationary period many departments have.

nope. college degree is not required for being a local cop unless you're aiming for state police.

My uncle was a cop, so I know a little bit about it, but not everything, obviously. He was a cop for almost 25 years in two states. I can ask him about certain things when the timing is right, but not now, given where he's at now.

what kind of cop? local? state? FBI?

what kind of cop? local? state? FBI?

Not FBI. State? That one I'm partially unsure about, because when he was a cop in North Carolina years ago, I wasn't sure if he was a local cop or a state cop, but I do know he was a cop for the Springfield, MO police department, but is now retired.

What s difference between grand jury and public jury?

Not FBI. State? That one I'm partially unsure about, because when he was a cop in North Carolina years ago, I wasn't sure if he was a local cop or a state cop, but I do know he was a cop for the Springfield, MO police department, but is now retired.

dude.... you should know... anyway - this is how it works to be a cop

local/town/city = high school degree required
state/federal = college degree required

dude.... you should know... anyway - this is how it works to be a cop

local/town/city = high school degree required
state/federal = college degree required

I was nine years old at the time. Too young to understand what was going on. And please look at the link I provided for the CPD. They do NOT accept high school diplomas.

What s difference between grand jury and public jury?

grand jury is to decide whether or not if prosecutor has enough probable cause on you to be arrested and charged

trial jury decides whether or not if you're guilty in the trial

a prosecutor often uses the grand jury proceedings as a litmus test (to see if he can win it or not) and he can ignore grand jury's decision if he disagrees with their decision to not indict a person. the grand jury is typically used for felony/serious cases.

an example - the prosecutor believes Officer Wilson violated Michael Brown's civil rights and killed him without warning. The prosecutor goes to grand jury and presents his case to them. The grand jury reviews his case and evidences to decide whether or not if there is enough probable cause to indict Officer Wilson. If it's good enough, then grand jury gives it a go-ahead and then Officer Wilson would get arrested and charged. But in this case... the grand jury believes there is not enough probable cause to indict Officer Wilson.

historically and statistically - the grand jury almost always returns with "yes"- would could be viewed as an abuse in justice system by prosecutor. that's why this was surprising for America that the grand jury returned with "no". But the prosecutor CAN disregard grand jury's decision and go ahead to arrest and charge Officer Wilson if he wants to. That is usually viewed as a politically-motivated move.

I was nine years old at the time. Too young to understand what was going on. And please look at the link I provided for the CPD. They do NOT accept high school diplomas.

yes they do.

if you're in military for 4 years... that can substitute the educational requirement.

Can I substitute my service in the military or in another police department for part of the educational requirement?
We accept four years of continuous, active military service in the armed forces of the United States in lieu of 60 semester-hours of college credit. We also accept one year of continuous, active military service in the armed forces of the United States combined with 30 semester-hours of credit from an accredited college or university. We do not accept service in another police department.

a college degree is typically 120-credits... which is 4-years and it's called Bachelor Degree. 60-credits is half-way and it's called Associate Degree. So according to CPD... they will waive the educational requirement if you do 4 years in military. and if you do 1-year in military.. you will need to do 30-credits which is not even eligible for Associate Degree.

so basically.... a college degree is not required to be a street cop. we know this because lot of us have friends or family members in law enforcement agencies. most of them does not have college degree. it would be an enormous struggle for a street cop if a college degree is required because a cop's salary is not enough to pay for it, home, and family.... and plus... a person who is smart enough to get a college degree does not usually last long as a street cop and that would be very costly for taxpayers. that's just a fact of life.

Yeah he was not found guilty , but I am not talking about the trial so why bring it up . I am thinking this grand jury and how people are going to react to the out come out and it not looking good. One person had a heart attack in the riot .. Damn ! I just saw on the news there is a building on fire!
What the HELL good it that going to do ? People are letting their emotions run wild .

People could say the same about the jury on the OJ Simpson trial. "Oh because there were black people on the jury so he was found not guilty."

Really, the truth is we all don't know what evidence either juries were presented with so people cant say it is because of the color of the juries that was the deciding factor. Otherwise, it makes the American justice system invalid which is not a good thing.

Yes, I understand that people will say that but if they want to say that, I will throw the OJ Simpson trial back at them.

I am thinking out loud "Why are cops always getting away with murder to innocent people every time they went to court? Or never been arrested except some of them get suspended with pay? When the cops are doing wrong with how to talk and restrain the innocent people without hurting or killing innocent people. It just made me sad and fear of the police department that don't give a damn on innocent citizens. Police cops can hurt us when they are full of anger and want to beat the shit out of us like a boxing bags. We are the boxing bags. Geeze. :(

It is not all a matter of being willing to hire blacks. I remember an interview way back toward the start of this where it came out that they had also lost a black officer that left for another department the pays more.

I know but there were 9 White people and some people could feel that was done so the cop was not indicted.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/11/24/justice/ferguson-grand-jury/index.html?hpt=hp_t1 The riots are already happening . : ( . Releasing this a night was not a bright idea and I am not the only one that said this .
That's not how Grand Jury members are selected. They are picked at the beginning of the year to cover whatever cases pop up during that time period. At that time, no one knows which cases will be assigned. The members of this Grand Jury panel were selected way before Michael Brown was killed.

Yeah he was not found guilty , but I am not talking about the trial so why bring it up . I am thinking this grand jury and how people are going to react to the out come out and it not looking good... .
No, he wasn't found "not guilty." This wasn't a trial. It was a hearing to determine whether or not there was enough evidence to indict him with charges that could lead to a trial. It was not a trial for determining guilt or innocence.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/national/ferguson-missouri-protestors-riot-tear-gas-released

Yes, sadly that is going on right now. I hope to HELL no one will get killed .
School has been called off for the whole week and that should not be happening to the kids . People are not thinking of all the kids that want to go to school . This just does not made any sense to me. :(
Yes, it is awful that the schools had to close because of the violence. However, the schools weren't called off for a week, just Monday and Tuesday. The rest of the week they were closed anyway for Thanksgiving.

Rioters and looters should be shot on sight.
When Hurricane Hugo hit Charleston, the police chief told his officers that looting would not be tolerated. He gave orders that looters would be shot, not arrested. Result: no looting happened.

Oh, and that was Chief Reuben Greenberg--a black man.

People keep saying they need more black cops......well more black people need to go to school and apply to be a cop first. That is the problem in most areas where there are more black people, very few even try law enforcement.
Another problem is how to encourage young black people to join the police force when the community disrespects the police so much. Why would anyone want to become a police officer if all their family and friends hate the police? That's a problem.

Back