Gally dorms

If you're a partier, then West is for you. It is definitely the louder and crazier of the freshmen dorms. North is a bit quieter, a LOT less fire alarms, and I think it's a bit cleaner.

Feel free to PM me with questions. I just completed my first year at Gally. :)

Yea, s/he is right (sorry I am not sure if u are guy or not)

About 9 years ago, I was a student at gallaudet, was in Ballard North. I remember the Fire alarms, I remember one night the fire alarm got pulled 4 times. that was horrible. Back then it was Cogswell Hall, So I remember that. Oh my god, I hated that fire alarm. A lot of us would get so mad and frustrated because the fire alarm was being pulled and we had a class at 8am. and it was like 3am, fire alarms are going off. Then our Dorm supervisor changed the rules and set up a way to trap the people who were pulling. I believe it was this stuff that would show up under black light. I don't remember all the details. it's been a while. I only stayed for a year, but I remember the fire alarms more than anything else at Gally.

About 9 years ago, I was a student at gallaudet, was in Ballard North. I remember the Fire alarms, I remember one night the fire alarm got pulled 4 times. that was horrible. Back then it was Cogswell Hall, So I remember that. Oh my god, I hated that fire alarm. A lot of us would get so mad and frustrated because the fire alarm was being pulled and we had a class at 8am. and it was like 3am, fire alarms are going off. Then our Dorm supervisor changed the rules and set up a way to trap the people who were pulling. I believe it was this stuff that would show up under black light. I don't remember all the details. it's been a while. I only stayed for a year, but I remember the fire alarms more than anything else at Gally.

wow, it need to shut the fire alarm system down then will no work.

If you're a partier, then West is for you. It is definitely the louder and crazier of the freshmen dorms. North is a bit quieter, a LOT less fire alarms, and I think it's a bit cleaner.

Feel free to PM me with questions. I just completed my first year at Gally. :)

Oh, I'm not partier or crazier, even not party guy.

I feel that I will get sick of West Ballard but if at North Ballard then I will be fine.

My brother resided at Benson Hall and he would tell me the fire alarm issues( I lived off campus) and expressed how funny that was when they would go off in the middle of the night. Since I was a quiet type of person, I found Benson Hall too crazy for me but it suited my brother cuz he has a crazy personality.

When I visited my classmates from grad school (I cant remember the dorms...Clerc), it was more calm and quieter. I think Clerc dorms are for grad students only. Wow, I cant remember!

I have never experienced what it is like to live in dorms anywhere so cant help u out here! Sorrrrryyy..

Yes, Gallaudet has installed all fire alarm that comes with a dye packet inside it for those who pulls the alarm will have the dye on the palm of the hand. The dye will show under the black light. When I was there, They didn't have a dye packet installed in the fire alarms.

Yea, before Gallaudet idea new policy, there were too many fire alarm pulled by senior class, for example, class of 99 then they had to pulled for 99 times in a year, so Gallaudet set up new policy on fire alarm pull...

Yeah, I'm a class of 99 member. It was crazy, definitely but now that I look back, it was kinda dumb to do it :lol: Even though I didn't do my part cuz I knew I would be in big trouble. I didn't need that.

So, Like you said, That was why Gallaudet enforced their policy and made it stricter for those who pulls the fire alarms.

Ballard West was known as Krug Hall back in the day while Ballard North was known as Cogswell Hall. Those are the 2 freshmen dorms at Gallaudet University. I used to reside at Cogswell Hall (Ballard North) when I was a frosh at Gallaudet. That was like over 10 years ago.

At that time, I remember Krug Hall did not have the elevator and Cogswell Hall had the elevator. I'm not sure about how it is like on today's term? It is true, Cogswell Hall's room were a bit smaller than Krug Hall's.

Just an advice - Be aware of those fire alarms. Both freshmen dorms (I guarantee) always has fire alarms going on all the time. It was crazy but then, it was fun because it gave me an excuse to take a break from studying or doing whatever I did. Maybe it is not that active as of now than it was back then when I was a student. If I recall, Gallaudet has became a bit stricter with students who tries to pull the fire alarms for no reasons other than emergencies.

Perhaps, Farewell65 can be a big help since he is still around on the campus and has updated information whereas I'm not up to date on that, ha.

Anyway, Good Luck and I sure do hope you will enjoy your time at Gallaudet just as much as I did.
Whoa.. whoa... you mean those dorms are no longer Krug Hall or Cogswell Hall???? They changed it to Ballard?

wow!

Ohhhh geez!! yes yes Krug Hall is where I used to reside. I hated that dorm. I would say.. we had 20 (guessing) fire alarms in 1 semester. but I had a GREAT time though..

Now the names have changed.. and things have changed.. I have no clue what's there on the campus anymore. :eek3:

Whoa.. whoa... you mean those dorms are no longer Krug Hall or Cogswell Hall???? They changed it to Ballard?

wow!

Ohhhh geez!! yes yes Krug Hall is where I used to reside. I hated that dorm. I would say.. we had 20 (guessing) fire alarms in 1 semester. but I had a GREAT time though..

Now the names have changed.. and things have changed.. I have no clue what's there on the campus anymore. :eek3:

I think the names changed due to the murders in the dorms. They happened during my first year at Gallaudet. I hope I am correct but I think that's why they changed the names.

I think the names changed due to the murders in the dorms. They happened during my first year at Gallaudet. I hope I am correct but I think that's why they changed the names.

Yea u are right Gallaudet changed names after murder incident, maybe one year later to change the names

Oh, I'm not partier or crazier, even not party guy.

I feel that I will get sick of West Ballard but if at North Ballard then I will be fine.

Then recommend u live in Ballard North

My brother resided at Benson Hall and he would tell me the fire alarm issues( I lived off campus) and expressed how funny that was when they would go off in the middle of the night. Since I was a quiet type of person, I found Benson Hall too crazy for me but it suited my brother cuz he has a crazy personality.

When I visited my classmates from grad school (I cant remember the dorms...Clerc), it was more calm and quieter. I think Clerc dorms are for grad students only. Wow, I cant remember!

I have never experienced what it is like to live in dorms anywhere so cant help u out here! Sorrrrryyy..

Yea, I was residence in Benson, also work there last semester, too many fire alarms...

ahhh okay, got it. okay.. now.. where does Ballard come from?

wow!

Yes, Gallaudet changed the dormitory names to Ballard North and Ballard West.

I haven't been to Gallaudet for a while. Some of my friends works at Gallaudet keeps me up to date about what goes on w/ the campus, so and on.

Like Shel said, Gallaudet changed it's name shortly after the murders. From what I know - according to my friends - they said that Gallaudet felt that it would be in the best interest of the University to change it's name and to start anew.

In my opinion, The university should not have changed it's name because it was named after 2 historical figures in the deaf community. On the other hand I do understand that Gallaudet wanted to do the best and to help the students/parents/staff/faculty and alumni to cope with the murder, rather than be reminded of what happened.

ahhh okay, got it. okay.. now.. where does Ballard come from?

I had wondered the same thing too. So I did a bit of searching and found this answer.

Named for Melville Ballard (1839-1912)
Melville Ballard, in 1866, became the first undergraduate student to receive a degree from Gallaudet College. Ballard was also a teacher in the Primary Department—later known as the Kendall School—for over 50 years.Melville Ballard was born July 31, 1839, in Fryeburg, Maine. He reportedly lost his hearing in infancy. Though very curious and intelligent, young Ballard had not acquired much language other than home signs created by his hearing family members until he entered the American School for the Deaf in Hartford, Conn. at the age of eleven. Ballard graduated from ASD in 1857 and was hired to teach young children at ASD. In 1860, Edward Miner Gallaudet persuaded Ballard to move to Washington, D.C. to teach in the Primary Department.

However, Ballard wanted to pursue higher education and he urged Gallaudet to establish the collegiate programs. As the prospect of the college being established seemed imminent, Ballard “retired” from teaching and in 1864 was the first person to apply to the new college for admission. He was accepted and began a special two-year course of study in September 1864. At that time there had been only one other student accept to the college who ultimately did not attend. There were six students enrolled in preparatory classes who were not officially considered admitted at the college. Therefore, during that first year, Ballard was the college’s only student and he was teasingly referred to as, “The College.” Remarks were made such as “The College has gone to bed.” “The College has gone to the city.” “The College has gone for a stroll.” “The College is dissatisfied with the cafeteria food.”

After Ballard finished his studies, he graduated June 27, 1866 with a Bachelor of Science degree, and returned to teaching at the Kendall School where he remained until his death.
In 1870, he went on to receive a Master of Science degree from Gallaudet. Ballard was warmly regarded by his students and continued to be an influence on them after they left his class. He also taught sign language to hearing graduate students in the Normal School, which started in 1891. He was an animated storyteller and enthralled audiences at his many lectures in Chapel Hall. He was known for his wide range of knowledge on many subjects and his meticulous attention to detail. His particular areas of interest were genealogy and politics and he carefully verified his facts before making conclusions. He was fluent in English, Latin, and French and often would be asked by Congressman General James Garfield to translate documents from the French Emperor, Napoleon III.

In 1871, Ballard and several other men formed the first literary magazine for deaf people, The Silent World. Unfortunately the magazine only lasted five years. Ballard was the first president of the Gallaudet College Alumni Association.

When Ballard died on December 15, 1912 he left behind his wife—a former student of his—and four children.

Johnson, Gloria R. Contributions of three early Kendall school teachers: James Denison, Melville Ballard and Sarah Harvey Porter. masters thesis. Gallaudet University. Washington, D.C. 1943.

Student Affairs - Ballard North - Gallaudet University

After murder incident, tuition fee is increase, is it true?

After murder incident, tuition fee is increase, is it true?

My tuition fee remained the same after the murders so no, I dont think they did. Why would the murders have an effect on tuition fees?

wow things have changed alot at GU since i left in 90.. i remmy those fire alarms at krug and during nso too one day we had like 10 or so fire alarms in 24 hrs period and i and old buddies just decided to stay outside during nite times and smokin stuffs and watchin students comin out and in the krug and cogswell halls

Back