Gallaudet

I have a friend in RL (she goes to Sir James Whitney) who is planning to attend Gaulladet. It sounds like a good school to me... but I would not go there since I am not completely deaf. I am most likely going to go to a university near me.

I don't think Gaulladet is for people who are totally deaf. Hearing people go there as well.

I don't think Gaulladet is for people who are totally deaf. Hearing people go there as well.

usually with intention to learn ASL and deaf culture. That's why I'm curious to know why kokonut picked Gallaudet and why didn't he take an opportunity to learn ASL fluently.

I thought Gallaudet is a public college for anyone who are HOH or deaf rather they know ASL or not.

I thought Gallaudet is a public college for anyone who are HOH or deaf rather they know ASL or not.

my point is - Gallaudet is a deaf/ASL-oriented college. It would make sense to attend Gally if you want to be in deaf/ASL-oriented, regardless of your hearing status. However - it makes no sense to attend Gally if you're not interested in ASL/deaf culture. Why not just attend RIT instead?

It's like attending a college in foreign country just to major in subject that is already offered in your own country at your own language when you have absolutely no intention in learning its language and culture.

usually with intention to learn ASL and deaf culture. That's why I'm curious to know why kokonut picked Gallaudet and why didn't he take an opportunity to learn ASL fluently.

I don't know WHEN it occured but he's pretty fluent now. Satisfied?

I don't know WHEN it occured but he's pretty fluent now. Satisfied?

interesting. even more interesting - he still hasn't answer my questions... as usual.

The "completely deaf" part...

OH! Because I'm HOH. :)

Edit: Also because I do not know ASL... however I would like to learn later on in life. It wouldn't be because I have to but more because I want to.

Well, if one wants a bit of a more educational challenge there are other programs to choose from in other universities. Just because one has a hearing loss isn't required to go to Gallaudet. Just do some research first before deciding.

Well, if one wants a bit of a more educational challenge there are other programs to choose from in other universities. Just because one has a hearing loss isn't required to go to Gallaudet. Just do some research first before deciding.

kokonut - I'm very confused. very very confused. After further reading of this thread and other threads... there's an obvious hint of bitterness and audism against Gallaudet University and deaf culture. This is a huge contradiction to your old blog in 2006. I don't know what happened to you but I guess a lot has changed in 3 years.

an excerpt from your blog - An Open Letter to Kathleen Wood at Gallaudet University - November 2, 2006
I claim Gallaudet University as my own and I am a representative of Gallaudet University as well but I don’t make the claim that Gallaudet University isn’t for all deaf and hard of hearing people, either. Nor do I judge anybody whether one is “D”eaf enough. Gallaudet University is an institution of learning that welcomes all to those who decide to come. It is for everybody. It is for them to decide whether or not to come to Gallaudet Univesity for whatever reasons. But by drawing a line in the sand sets a dangerous precedence. Else the next thing we’ll see is two water fountains throughout campus with signs above them that says “Deaf only” and “Resisters”. Are we to revisit further back to the 1950s, too?

Mike McConnell
Class of 1991

jiro, i wouldn't even bother with the kokonut troll anymore.. he just likes to evade questions.

jiro, i wouldn't even bother with the kokonut troll anymore.. he just likes to evade questions.

it's ok. I'm not bothered by it. I'm a patient bear.... he'll eventually answer my question..... even if I died.....

patient_bear1.jpg

*it's a pix of a black bear sitting at the picnic table like a human, just waiting and waiting. Caption below - "Patient Bear..... will be ready when you are"

it's ok. I'm not bothered by it. I'm a patient bear.... he'll eventually answer my question..... even if I died.....

patient_bear1.jpg

*it's a pix of a black bear sitting at the picnic table like a human, just waiting and waiting. Caption below - "Patient Bear..... will be ready when you are"

hahahahaa, okay, i'll hold your hand while you're in your death bed.

Back