Gallaudet

Chuck

Reaction score
I was looking at online ratings of Gallaudet and they dont look good. So i figure some of you guys have gone to and graduated from Gallaudet.

How seriously did your employer take your education from gallaudet? Did they respect it? I'm in California so to go across the country to Gallaudet only to go in the open job market to be turned down makes me kind of wary of it.

It would be depends on job, some job don't hire any deaf people who graduated from Gallaudet so it is job's problem, not Gallaudet because Gallaudet is accelerated and I know most job from Fortune 500 did hired any deaf people who graduated from Gallaudet, according to Royale in other post.

You could ask Royale about it and please trust him.

I had know about some deaf people who graduated from hearing college has difficult to find good job too, same goes with RIT/NTID so Gallaudet isn't alone.

I'm planning to enroll at Gallaudet in no later than 2011 so I'm not worried about it.

I basically am interested in the computer science program they have.

Well, My hubby and I graduated in the different year from Gallaudet. Within a couple of months later, We got jobs. We were more interested in getting lots of interships from there. That's how those people had chance of getting to each of knowing us.

it is all matter how much you are serious about your major that relates to the job that you want to take a several internships where you can show your stuffs either, to the private companies or federal government depts. They would check you out.

I was looking at online ratings of Gallaudet and they dont look good. So i figure some of you guys have gone to and graduated from Gallaudet.

How seriously did your employer take your education from gallaudet? Did they respect it? I'm in California so to go across the country to Gallaudet only to go in the open job market to be turned down makes me kind of wary of it.

a real solid answer? none. oh btw - that answer is same for MIT graduate as well. Did you know there are handful of MIT and Harvard graduates who are not employed yet?

Let's put it this way - it's not where you graduate from. it's how good you are. (and also how connected you are.) Obviously - nobody is going to hire you if your work experience & computer background are mediocre... even if you graduate from MIT.

it's best to go to college that can provide you EQUAL ACCESS! You can be as good as MIT student. don't worry! :cool2:

a real solid answer? none. oh btw - that answer is same for MIT graduate as well. Did you know there are handful of MIT and Harvard graduates who are not employed yet?

Let's put it this way - it's not where you graduate from. it's how good you are. (and also how connected you are.) Obviously - nobody is going to hire you if your work experience & computer background are mediocre... even if you graduate from MIT.

it's best to go to college that can provide you EQUAL ACCESS! You can be as good as MIT student. don't worry! :cool2:

:gpost:

I think the poor rating is result of not being a hearing school and some people felt it is too easy for a school, probably because it accommodate the deaf that make it seem so easy.. Like my history class when My history teacher wrote notes on the board for me to study. The test was a breeze and the good news is that I still remember everything I learned in history class than I did any other class.

As long as they are learning and know what to do, that's all it matters.

Nowadays with PowerPoint, and downloadable lectures... I don't think we will see much differences Lighthouse77.

The point of colleges and universities is to develop a network of friends and associates. Deaf tends to look out for other Deaf... that's why they go to Gallaudet.

Nowadays with PowerPoint, and downloadable lectures... I don't think we will see much differences Lighthouse77.

The point of colleges and universities is to develop a network of friends and associates. Deaf tends to look out for other Deaf... that's why they go to Gallaudet.

i think i know what you mean, Especially when my husband went to certain college, and only people who went there tend to hire him. they went to his college and went through resumes of people looking for jobs and that's how he got his job.

together - it fosters an intellectual growth and future prospects.

Have any californians gone to gallaudet? I know this is a question for admissions and otherwise gallaudet themselves but do they provide a dorm for you and all? How much of your own money did you have to pay?

Or to improve your marketability you can always continue with your education by getting your M.S. degree, PhD, law degree, and so on . Add a second degree at another university. Invest in yourself and don't think about how much it'll cost. There is no better company to invest in other than yourself to get a better education with an advanced degree(s). You invest in yourself, you are accountable only to yourself.

Or to improve your marketability you can always continue with your education by getting your M.S. degree, PhD, law degree, and so on . Add a second degree at another university. Invest in yourself and don't think about how much it'll cost. There is no better company to invest in other than yourself to get a better education with an advanced degree(s). You invest in yourself, you are accountable only to yourself.

How did you like Gallaudet? I believe you stayed there for three years. right? :cool2: Did you join any organizations?

It was an...interesting time.

Join any organizations? What do you mean?

any kind of organization like, tower clock yearbook, buff and blue student newspaper, or fraternity/sorority and more or a part time jobs at Gallaudet. or a member of homecoming, or rockfest or some events?

Three years is an obviously good long of liking it there. ;)

Well, three years because I had a goal in mind to get and get out and then quickly move on to grad school. I attended George Washington University classes at the same time with Gallaudet taking engineering and math courses. I was a tutor for math and physics for 3 years. I never liked frats. Sounded too hollow for me. I went to the usual Rockfest and hung out with friends at bars, the Abbey, and so on. But my focus was on education and move ahead quickly. I wasn't getting any younger.

Well, three years because I had a goal in mind to get and get out and then quickly move on to grad school. I attended George Washington University classes at the same time with Gallaudet taking engineering and math courses. I was a tutor for math and physics for 3 years. I never liked frats. Sounded too hollow for me. I went to the usual Rockfest and hung out with friends at bars, the Abbey, and so on. But my focus was on education and move ahead quickly. I wasn't getting any younger.

Ha! There you go, You were a tutor so you liked gallaudet. ;)

what made you pick Gallaudet? how did you get by without knowing ASL? did they provide terp for non-ASLer?

Back