From a voice of an oral deaf child ...

+1

Pointing fingers doesn't bode well for integrity. Before someone does that, they should realize that when pointing a finger at someone, there's always four pointing back at themselves.

I agree

Seriously, all these stupid fights should end. Pls stop.

For the parents who choose to speak with their kids.......

The reason I said this above:

I pretty much did not have these issues because everyone in my life signed to me while I was growing up. They knew I was deaf, they knew what to do to get my attention. They did not fake that I was able to hear and do things out of my vision.

And I was in for a surprise when I saw that list and actually felt sorry...

Yea, my brother has no concept of what I went through as an oral deaf because he always had ASL and the Deaf community growing up so he never endured any of these issues on a 24/7 basis.

They didnt have to take classes, but everyone signed. Yes, even the 20+ neighborhood kids that I still talk to this day.

Ah, so you just simply signed to them? And did your parents teach you? I'm afraid I don't know your history. Are you gonna tell me to go back and search for your introductory post? :)

Ah, so you just simply signed to them? And did your parents teach you? I'm afraid I don't know your history. Are you gonna tell me to go back and search for your introductory post? :)

Not sure what you're getting at, but: my parents learned sign language on their own, they're pretty damn good at it.

I taught these friends sign...

Not sure what you're getting at, but: my parents learned sign language on their own, they're pretty damn good at it.

When I was a teen, I read a fiction book about a hearing person(the main character) who met a deaf person who signs. It was a very powerful book because the way it describe the scene of how their friendship grew. It started out they gestured as the hearing person learn sign. So I wasn't suprised when you wrote everyone sign to you.

I taught these friends sign..
Yes....hearing kids can pick up ASL and speechreading from dhh kids!
Do I want to drive around the country wearing a cap to go on a rescue mission to save children from the oral schools? Yes. I experienced the heartbreak personally to know that the route that these children take is the hardest one.

But when I work with a deaf child who is oral, my personal feelings are set aside. The parents have my fullest support and I will do everything in my power to make sure the child is given the best possible resources available. Hence my list. This list shows that there are things we can do, and things we should not do.
You know maybe also put in a bit about " Don't demonize ASL and Deaf culture, and don't keep the option of it from me"
Also a bit about how if they start struggling in higher grades, maybe it might be a good idea to look into a Deaf ed program/school or summer camps specificly for dhh kids.
Way to go, people! You took a very informative thread and trashed it with your polarizing viewpoints.
In defense of jillo, I DO think that maybe she may have had a really tough therapy session with one of the oral deaf and mainstreamed kids she sees, and needed to vent. That can do it to people......and you know, a LARGE part of the reason why I'm very pro full toolbox is b/c of the social- emotional damage I incurred as a hoh mainstreamed to the max kid.

Why don't you EVER let the deaf speak for themselves? You demand, preach, and scream 10x as much as any of them. Not to mention those who choose to be oral get shouted down every time they post....

They did. In the OP and all over this forum. You are not listening.

Now, if you are asking why I advocate, it is because in the society in which we live, audism is still so pervasive that a deaf person and a hearing person can say exactly the same thing, but the hearing person is automatically given more credibility. That is why I advocate, and it is also why I advocate from the deaf perspective. There are far too many who claim to advocate, but do so from a hearing perspective. That simply re-inforces the obstacles and the practices that continue to oppress.

Wirelessly posted

i agree completely. Why did jillio have to make remarks that were clearly designed to start a debate? Despicable!

My comments were not designed to start a debate. They were an honest statement of my perception of the OP.

For the parents who choose to speak with their kids.......

The reason I said this above:

I pretty much did not have these issues because everyone in my life signed to me while I was growing up. They knew I was deaf, they knew what to do to get my attention. They did not fake that I was able to hear and do things out of my vision.

And I was in for a surprise when I saw that list and actually felt sorry...[/QUOTE]

It is depressing and discouraging, especially seeing it continue, and even worsen, today.

I believe your experience parallels mine and my son's. I learned sign from hanging out at the local deaf club, he learned much of his there, too. From the two of us, my parents and my brother, and my brother's boys learned. The kids in the neighborhood learned simply from having play time contact with my son.

Today, even my nephews' children sign. So it has spanned 4 generations, because I was blessed to have the type of family that puts all of the children's needs first and is willing to do whatever is necessary to meet those needs. They go so far as to not just sign to my son, but to sign to each other in his presence.

I believe your experience parallels mine and my son's. I learned sign from hanging out at the local deaf club, he learned much of his there, too. From the two of us, my parents and my brother, and my brother's boys learned. The kids in the neighborhood learned simply from having play time contact with my son.

Today, even my nephews' children sign. So it has spanned 4 generations, because I was blessed to have the type of family that puts all of the children's needs first and is willing to do whatever is necessary to meet those needs. They go so far as to not just sign to my son, but to sign to each other in his presence.

I can relate.
My niece signs. The TV set in the household always has captions on.

My SSN is not 1, so I am not old enough to have 4 generations :) (including parents) :)

I can relate.

My SSN is not 1, so I am not old enough to have 4 generations :) (including parents) :)

:laugh2: Let's see, there would be my parents (1), me and my brother (2), my son and nephews (3), and now my grand-neices and nephews (4). Yep...I'm an old one!

I can relate.

I recently went to a laudrymat to wash rugs and I asked the manager why there were no captions on the television set. He turned them on and I actually got pats on the back from the other customers. :lol:

I recently went to a laudrymat to wash rugs and I asked the manager why there were no captions on the television set. He turned them on and I actually got pats on the back from the other customers. :lol:

Good for you! I wonder why/how it is ordinary folk had the wherewithal to give you "pats on the back" and that the manager actually knew how to turn on the CC feature. :lol:

My son doesn't live with me anymore, but I still have the captions on. After a long day of talking with people and dealing with people in crisis, I would rather read the captions than listen to someone's voice!:lol:

Back