From a voice of an oral deaf child ...

It was not trashed by any oral deaf. And that was what the thread was about.

So the people it was intended to help, did nothing wrong.

I know that, Bott. I was directing my comments to a certain few. It's getting tiresome to see threads marred by all the acrimony. It gets downright venomous at times. You'd expect that in a debate thread, but this wasn't one.

I know that, Bott. I was directing my comments to a certain few. It's getting tiresome to see threads marred by all the acrimony. It gets downright venomous at times. You'd expect that in a debate thread, but this wasn't one.

Oh, good. I agree with you about the acrimony.

Wirelessly posted

i agree completely. Why did jillio have to make remarks that were clearly designed to start a debate? Despicable!

Be careful where you tread.

+1

Pointing fingers doesn't bode well for integrity. Before someone does that, they should realize that when pointing a finger at someone, there's always four pointing back at themselves.

:) Just wanted to explain that I wasn't directing my comments to the posters as a whole. Just a certain few who know who they are.

:lol: Better duck, looks like you've got 4 fingers coming at you, according to something a wise person once posted on a thread, long ago, maybe 2 minutes ago.

Why don't you EVER let the deaf speak for themselves? You demand, preach, and scream 10x as much as any of them. Not to mention those who choose to be oral get shouted down every time they post....

Why don't you EVER back off either? Jillio is not "demand, preach, and screaming" 10x as much as a few people i know. You just have selective reading.

NOW.................................................

*tuning to my next post...*

Why don't you EVER back off either? Jillio is not "demand, preach, and screaming" 10x as much as a few people i know. You just have selective reading.

NOW.................................................

*tuning to my next post...*

Fingerpoint #5

Wow...........

For the parents who choose to speak with their kids.......

The reason I said this above:

I pretty much did not have these issues because everyone in my life signed to me while I was growing up. They knew I was deaf, they knew what to do to get my attention. They did not fake that I was able to hear and do things out of my vision.

And I was in for a surprise when I saw that list and actually felt sorry...

11. Don't tell people I'm deaf when you first introduce me. My name isn't deaf. My name is [ ].

I make this mistake all the time, will definitely rethink how I introduce the little one.

For the parents who choose to speak with their kids.......

The reason I said this above:

I pretty much did not have these issues because everyone in my life signed to me while I was growing up...

And I was in for a surprise when I saw that list and actually felt sorry...

That's great. Everyone you knew growing up signed to you? Did all of your childhood friends and family take a class? That would be very cool if they became somewhat fluent so you could talk all you want to them, tell them stories, etc.

That's great. Everyone you knew growing up signed to you? Did all of your childhood friends and family take a class? That would be very cool if they became somewhat fluent so you could talk all you want to them, tell them stories, etc.

They didnt have to take classes, but everyone signed. Yes, even the 20+ neighborhood kids that I still talk to this day.

I feel that a lot of these tips can also be applied to a child who uses manual communication as well. In fact, I will draw up a thread for a child who uses manual communication, too. Parents, educators, and whoever else working with the child may not realize that they are doing things that might be hindering the communication process. Perhaps at least some of these tips can be helpful. Oral or not, a deaf child listens with primarily his eyes to see what is happening around him. Even auditory training requires seeing the sounds to make the connections and to train the brain. Also this list could be useful for children with mild hearing loss or functionally hard of hearing.

Whether we agree on the communication method the parent has chosen for his/her child is irrelevant from a professional standpoint in this case. Each child deserves a teacher who is willing to support the parent in every step of the way. As a professional, I cannot interject my beliefs...unless I can verify with solid data and assessment results that the method is not working or there's another method that would be better suited. If there's data, I certainly will.

Is it hard for me not to interject? Yes. More than you can ever possibly know. Do I want to drive around the country wearing a cap to go on a rescue mission to save children from the oral schools? Yes. I experienced the heartbreak personally to know that the route that these children take is the hardest one.

But when I work with a deaf child who is oral, my personal feelings are set aside. The parents have my fullest support and I will do everything in my power to make sure the child is given the best possible resources available. Hence my list. This list shows that there are things we can do, and things we should not do. That's my job.

Just because the route is the hardest doesn't mean they won't get to the designation. Some will make it, some won't. And I'm going to be walking every step of the way with them. I walked alone when I was going through my journey. But that doesn't mean the child has to, too. Take my hand, and we shall walk together.

I'd just tell them that they can do anything that a hearing person can, including speaking.

Back