Flood

Thanks, Kristina and Botti re: information on those garages.

Btw, dogmom, I know someone who was just at Vegas; he flew out Friday, heading for Milwaukee, circled there for a while, unable to land. Plane was diverted to Madison and he had to sit there in a bus station for hours, waiting for a 2am trip to Milwaukee....yikes!

Last edited:
Dogmom, I am sorry about this. I have water problems in my basement as well. It is so frustrating.

We are dealing with 100 degree weather often which isnt normal for us.

I know about the water in the basement is sucks. I get flood in my basement once the snow melt. But the other day there was hail and tornado watch. I believe I saw tornado touch the ground but it was so far out. It was so crazy cuz I was on my way home and had to drive 40 mph on the highway.

The storms have been ridiculous here in the past few weeks. Loads of lightening, thunder loud enough to shake my house, not only that....there have been sightings of tornadoes within 30 minutes of drive time of where I live. Trees down all over, power out in several places.....

Gah!

:ty: Shel 100 degree temp is pretty high and for an area not used to it I can imagine it would be hard. When we have temps like that the city opens up "cooling centers" for folks w/o ac and has extended hours at places pools.

wow, Tousi, how long did it take for your friend to finally get where they were going?? Yeah, airport here was shut down that eve. and into late Friday!

I just saw last night about all the flooding in Iowa!
you making it ok, Bott?

DGirl and horselover, wow so many storms all over in last few days it seems like, you guys take care too!

I just saw last night about all the flooding in Iowa!
you making it ok, Bott?

We are ok so far, although we seem to be continually under flash flood watches.

A small town in eastern Iowa was swept away when a dam broke last week.

oh no, so sad about that town!
am glad right now you're ok, Botti:)
stay safe!

Part of the Des Moines (I think it is the west fork) River runs through Estherville and normally the water level is not high enough to go over the edge.

....but this year it has been at its worse flooding almost reaching the street running parallel to it about 150 feet away.

But if you drive on HWY 169 a few miles west of St. Joseph, it's nothing but water on both sides.....water water everywhere. In the ditch, in the fields, in campgrounds, you name it. It looks like a swamp.

Farmer's all over are losing crop due to over saturation of the dirt and it leaves behind 'ponds' of water in certain areas of the field that tend to dip.

...and yes I understand that most people assume that Iowa is flat, but it really isn't. While we don't call them mountains, they are (to me anyways) rolling hills in Iowa. :D

:wave:Kristina! :hug:
I hope Botti is ok, I honestly haven't been watching much news since it's been such turmoil here...we are doing alright right now. FEMA is here but they haven't been by us; they're focusing on the people who lost their foundations/basements altogether as water swept right through. There are about a dozen homes or so in a certain area where this occurred and some are required to be razed. Very sad for the people who lost their homes :(
we spent most of the earlier part of the week finishing cleaning up and the city just came with garbage trucks and other heavy equipment not usually used for garbage collection, to pick up the huge mounds of debris people have out at curb. The water heater just came back to check on whether or not there was a gas leak with the new heater - hubby was concerned there was but they didn't find anything.

:wave:Kristina! :hug:
I hope Botti is ok, I honestly haven't been watching much news since it's been such turmoil here...we are doing alright right now. FEMA is here but they haven't been by us; they're focusing on the people who lost their foundations/basements altogether as water swept right through. There are about a dozen homes or so in a certain area where this occurred and some are required to be razed. Very sad for the people who lost their homes :(
we spent most of the earlier part of the week finishing cleaning up and the city just came with garbage trucks and other heavy equipment not usually used for garbage collection, to pick up the huge mounds of debris people have out at curb. The water heater just came back to check on whether or not there was a gas leak with the new heater - hubby was concerned there was but they didn't find anything.

Better here for the moment. No rain for a while and the rivers are starting to recede within their banks.

We had a tornado the other night that took the roofs off six houses in a southern suburb, but it is calm for the moment.

:wave: Bott, am glad all is calm by you!
there are still some roads closed here and one of the high schools had high flood waters in about 80% of it.

Glad to know that you both are faring well. Hope it keeps up.

Back