First person account: Weird act of Nature

^18 footer. :D

I find it interesting that one of my cats enjoy eating the Cheetos crunchy chips. :D

When I was scuba diving at St Lucia. I took a night dive and while exploring for awhile.. I saw a huge huge whale size creature swimming by. I was startled and almost crapped myself. Then suddenly it broke up into thousands of little fishes. Apparently they were all swimming in unison appearing to be a large fish. What a scary yet amazing weird thing to experience.

I'd like to clarify what does "act of nature" otherwise knows as "act of God" mean.
It means an unpredictable instance of natural disaster happening, such like lightening, hurricane, wildfire, earthquake etc.
The full explanation of the Act of nature/ Act of God is here:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-act-of-nature.htm

I do understand, though, what OP mean by it - any unusual happening or weird shaped live things occurring in nature :)

Re: stick insects- as a tween, I had those in an aquarium! stick insects make very good and fascinating pets.
They are quite easy to take care of.
they eat stuff like lettuce, I was feeding them this plant only light green
wandering-jew-plant4.jpg

here's some for anyone who'd like to have stick insect for pets:
http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/locke.hp/walk_sticks.htm
(I do not recommend like a hamster cages, since they can escape thru openings).

One of the weirdest thing I observed personally, were the tree moths that looked exactly like part of a tree limb
Buff-tipRThompson.jpg

It actually scared me as I tried to pick it up, thinking it is a small broken twig.
Imagine my shock when something started moving furiously in my fingers! eeeek!!! lol

Fuzzy

Well....
one time...ages ago...back...before this present strange epoch of cell phones...and gods know what....in the days of real good e and uh....well.....
cough
the 90s.
all somewhat drunk. But sober enough i thought. A bit peaked of of horseshoe e ......wee little white tabs with wee little horse shoes on em. ....seeing triples....the trick always is catching the signs in the centre...
it also made sense...it really did...
walking though i prob was more floating....
i saw a cat.that i was drawn to scratch for some reason...I'm A poch man...but that night. Under those strange skies..i really had to pet this wayward feline....bieng at one with nature snd all that....
i got close enough to the cuttiie.rummaging throug the trash a fat feline sure i mused...ugly..a bit t rough...granted some mean streets..ah well....
Damn! !!
Raccoon nearly took my face off...
phew

Strange days...

Hard night.....

Lessons learned..
but soon forgot..alas..youth is wasted on the young....*-/

I'd like to clarify what does "act of nature" otherwise knows as "act of God" mean.
It means an unpredictable instance of natural disaster happening, such like lightening, hurricane, wildfire, earthquake etc.
The full explanation of the Act of nature/ Act of God is here:
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-an-act-of-nature.htm

I do understand, though, what OP mean by it - any unusual happening or weird shaped live things occurring in nature :)

Re: stick insects- as a tween, I had those in an aquarium! stick insects make very good and fascinating pets.
They are quite easy to take care of.
they eat stuff like lettuce, I was feeding them this plant only light green
wandering-jew-plant4.jpg

here's some for anyone who'd like to have stick insect for pets:
http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/locke.hp/walk_sticks.htm
(I do not recommend like a hamster cages, since they can escape thru openings).

One of the weirdest thing I observed personally, were the tree moths that looked exactly like part of a tree limb
Buff-tipRThompson.jpg

It actually scared me as I tried to pick it up, thinking it is a small broken twig.
Imagine my shock when something started moving furiously in my fingers! eeeek!!! lol

Fuzzy

I had seen bugs that I thought were dead and go to touch it and it moves ! LOL! I saw a bug in Northern Cal. when I was getting some firewood .
I didn't know what it was at first and was going to pick it up to show to my b/f. When I told him what the bug looked like he said it was a good thing
I didn't pick it up b/c could had been a poisonous centipede . I never seen a centipede before , and thought it was interesting looking.

There was this one time I was playing golf with my dad and my older brother. We were in the Tampa area. Anyways, there was an older gentleman that also wanted to play, and the Golf course put the 4 of us together. Well, the older golfer was the typical retired Yankee transplant - wore black, knee high, socks, and had plaid patterned shorts, and a white, short sleeved, sports shirt, and one of those old timey type golf hats (that, in and of itself is probably a neat trick of nature, that there was no fashion police around at the time). Anyways, during the course of the game, he had hit his golf ball out into the rough.

Let me clarify something here before I go any further. The "rough" in Florida consists of palmettos, which grow low to the ground and are very, very dense. I am currently doing an image search to illustrate - here are some photos I found:

palmetto463.jpg

and:

Serenoa-repens-Saw-palmetto-plants.jpg

Now, this particular "rough" surrounded a large lake. So ... when this older gent hit his ball out into the rough, my father, myself and my older brother, naturally thought that the ball was a goner, and that this older feller had enough sense to not walk around in the rough in hopes of retrieving his ball.

We were wrong.

Looking back on it now, I can sort of understand why he went looking for his ball. First and foremost, he was not familiar with the indigenous wildlife that is in an abundant supply in Florida. Secondly, he was not tanned, and was wearing shorts. This should have indicated he had not been in town long enough to familiarize himself with the dangers of walking through the rough. Thirdly, he appeared to be older than three of us combined, and even at the prodding of my father, he thought he knew what was best, as we were just a bunch of 'dumb southern hillbillies'.

So, he entered the rough, even though my father had insisted that he really shouldn't be doing that. My dad, after seeing him rummage around in the rough, started to move towards me and my brother, protectively and instinctively, in case he had to protect us from witnessing something horrific. There was no convincing this older gent, whom appeared to know better than us, that he didn't know what he was doing, or the danger he was exposing himself to.

Well, the weirdest act of nature I had ever seen, was watching that old man run like hell out of the rough while screeching a horrible guttural squeal of pure terror. He not only lost complete interest in finding his golf ball, he also lost his club when he tried to beat the alligator that attempted to feast on his pasty white legs. He didn't see the python (most yankees don't ever see them - even when you point right at them - they see a log) that he tripped over on his way out of the rough. We decided not to tell him.

My dad is not the type of person to say "I told you so" - he is a southern gentleman. We were more worried about this guy having a heart attack than finishing the rest of the game. But ... I gotta hand it to that old codger, he was tough. After he calmed down a bit, he decided the game wasn't over and we played on.

There was this one time I was playing golf with my dad and my older brother. We were in the Tampa area. Anyways, there was an older gentleman that also wanted to play, and the Golf course put the 4 of us together. Well, the older golfer was the typical retired Yankee transplant - wore black, knee high, socks, and had plaid patterned shorts, and a white, short sleeved, sports shirt, and one of those old timey type golf hats (that, in and of itself is probably a neat trick of nature, that there was no fashion police around at the time). Anyways, during the course of the game, he had hit his golf ball out into the rough.

Let me clarify something here before I go any further. The "rough" in Florida consists of palmettos, which grow low to the ground and are very, very dense. I am currently doing an image search to illustrate - here are some photos I found:

palmetto463.jpg

and:

Serenoa-repens-Saw-palmetto-plants.jpg

Now, this particular "rough" surrounded a large lake. So ... when this older gent hit his ball out into the rough, my father, myself and my older brother, naturally thought that the ball was a goner, and that this older feller had enough sense to not walk around in the rough in hopes of retrieving his ball.

We were wrong.

Looking back on it now, I can sort of understand why he went looking for his ball. First and foremost, he was not familiar with the indigenous wildlife that is in an abundant supply in Florida. Secondly, he was not tanned, and was wearing shorts. This should have indicated he had not been in town long enough to familiarize himself with the dangers of walking through the rough. Thirdly, he appeared to be older than three of us combined, and even at the prodding of my father, he thought he knew what was best, as we were just a bunch of 'dumb southern hillbillies'.

So, he entered the rough, even though my father had insisted that he really shouldn't be doing that. My dad, after seeing him rummage around in the rough, started to move towards me and my brother, protectively and instinctively, in case he had to protect us from witnessing something horrific. There was no convincing this older gent, whom appeared to know better than us, that he didn't know what he was doing, or the danger he was exposing himself to.

Well, the weirdest act of nature I had ever seen, was watching that old man run like hell out of the rough while screeching a horrible guttural squeal of pure terror. He not only lost complete interest in finding his golf ball, he also lost his club when he tried to beat the alligator that attempted to feast on his pasty white legs. He didn't see the python (most yankees don't ever see them - even when you point right at them - they see a log) that he tripped over on his way out of the rough. We decided not to tell him.

My dad is not the type of person to say "I told you so" - he is a southern gentleman. We were more worried about this guy having a heart attack than finishing the rest of the game. But ... I gotta hand it to that old codger, he was tough. After he calmed down a bit, he decided the game wasn't over and we played on.

My dad had a friend from Costa Rica come visit us in Massachusetts and dad and his friend went fishing in dad's yacht in a harbor that looked very tamed
dad told his friend not to go swimming in the ocean b/c there were sharks in it. Dad was always joking around so his friend didn't believe his about
the sharks. The two of were drinking and dad's friend decided to go swimming and jumped in the water . My dad started yelling
Shark , Shark " His friend laughed it off then looked back and there was a black fin coming toward him ! The guy was heavy and slippery
and both guys were drunk and dad had hard time pulling back in. It sound like that guy and dad friend would had gotten along fine ! LOL!

LoL. That reminds me of The Boy Who Cried Wolf. No one trusted him!

Last edited:
My dad had a friend from Costa Rica come visit us in Massachusetts and dad and his friend went fishing in dad's yacht in a harbor that looked very tamed
dad told his friend not to go swimming in the ocean b/c there were sharks in it. Dad was always joking around so his friend didn't believe his about
the sharks. The two of were drinking and dad's friend decided to go swimming and jumped in the water . My dad started yelling
Shark , Shark " His friend laughed it off then looked back and there was a black fin coming toward him ! The guy was heavy and slippery
and both guys were drunk and dad had hard time pulling back in. It sound like that guy and dad friend would had gotten along fine ! LOL!

Just do a google image search of Florida pythons ;)

When I was a kid growing up in the "sticks" in Florida, most all the roads were paved with crushed seashells (dirt roads), and there would be acres and acres of palmettos to each side of the roads. One day, I was with an older man who was babysitting me. His name was Wayne Barber (I called him Mr. Barber) and we were driving in his full size Van. He was about 70 years old at the time, and has long since passed on, but he was one of my best friends when I was a kid.

Anyways, on that particular day, there was a very large, very big, python or boa constrictor making its way across the road. Mr. Barber was an old school Marine, and was very protective of children and the ladies. He knew there was a neighborhood nearby, and saw that the this giant snake was headed straight towards it. The size of the thing was amazing, and it could easily swallow a 2-3 year old child whole - or even a German Shepherd sized dog. So, Mr. Barber thought the best way to protect that neighborhood's little ones and pets, was to kill this snake.

He ran over it with his van. It didn't kill it, just stunned it a little bit. So he put it in reverse, and ran over it again. Same thing, just stunned it, maybe fractured a bone here or there, but the snake would not die, even after repeated attempts of running over it. he finally pinned it in place with his rear tires, reached in the glove box and retrieved a .45 he kept in there. He told me to stay in my seat, and then walked back behind the van.

BAM! ....... long pause ............ BAM! BAM! BAM!

An even longer pause. He walked back and drove the van a little bit forward, then went back and threw the snake in the back of the van. I think he may have cooked it for dinner (like I said, this guy was a mean 'ol tough Marine - fought the Japs in WWII).

I tell kids these days stories like that and they just cannot wrap their minds around it. Everything has been so sanitized these days.

Last edited:
Back