First appointment

I had my CI mapped today and also saw my surgeon for the last time. When we were setting my Cs, I decided not to just set it at the level I am comfortable with, rather, I decided to go a little beyond that to what I can tolerate. (next mapping won't be for 3 months so I needed this map to last me that long) Audiologist said I am progressing pretty well and I took a hearing test in the booth to see how well I am hearing with the CI.

The results:

Hertz:----250-----500-----1000-----2000-----3000-----4000
decibel:--35d-----35d------35d------30d------35d------40d

My audie said this is VERY good, she was pleasantly surprised at the results!

And then we did I think speech discrimination, and we did the lipreading part with certain vocal sounds, and I did very well, I think I got all of them right. She gave me a piece of paper with different sounds written on it and I was to point to the sound that I think she made. And then we did the speech discrimination without lipreading and I think out of 10 or so I got 3 right. She was very surprised, said this is very good for me. I am starting to really hear the different between certain vocal sounds but haven't committed them to memory yet, need more practice! I brought up the subject of speech therapy and she said that it would be a good idea now that I'm ready for it, so now I am waiting on an email from her for an appointment for speech therapy at a hospital.

I'm extremely pleased with my progress so far!:dance:
great to hear that! you are getting there as per your audiogram. I am sure on your next mapping, you will probably bein 20's.

I looked at my audiogram again (my last testing 3/06) and I realized I was wrong which I have been saying 30 to 40 across the range.

I am actually in 20 to 30 and make sense I don't hear bird like I mentioned earlier in other thread.

Hz:----250-----500-----1000---1500---2000-----3000-----4000
dB:----30d-----20d------20d----15d-----20d------25d------35d

I am not sure if that audiogram was before or after the mapping.

I will find out when I get mapped again next time.

Also, I had another CI moment tonight at Walmart! When the cashier was scanning all the stuff I bought, I heard a beep when each item was scanned! I never heard that before. :D
There you go! you didn't hear that before the remapping?

:D Another CI moment today! :D

I've been dealing with tiny brown and black ants for the last couple of months, and I tried ant traps to no avail, so I asked the landlord to send a pest guy over to take care of it. I was worried about how I was gonna answer the door since some asshole stole my special doorbell over 2 years ago and I haven't gotten a new one since then, and also if I would recognize the sound of the knocking. But today, I heard the knock loud and clear! I've felt hard knocks before, but never heard the knock before, even with the CI. I guess this recent map has made me able to hear more sounds than before.

:dance:

Yay Lucia! :) You're continuing to make wonderful progress! Congratulations!!

By the way, I can still remember the first time I heard a knock at the door. It took me by complete surprise as it was a sound I haven't been able to hear for many years. The first time I heard it with my CI, I couldn't believe how LOUD it was. LOL!

Keep up the good work -- and keep those CI moments coming! :)

Yay Lucia! :) You're continuing to make wonderful progress! Congratulations!!

By the way, I can still remember the first time I heard a knock at the door. It took me by complete surprise as it was a sound I haven't been able to hear for many years. The first time I heard it with my CI, I couldn't believe how LOUD it was. LOL!

Keep up the good work -- and keep those CI moments coming! :)

LOL!

There are some sounds that I can't believe is so loud. Generally people's voices are not too loud, but the other night I went to a deaf club party, we were playing poker. A lot of the deaf people sure are LOUD there. There was a lot of yelling and a lot of banging on the table...I had to lower the volume on my CI! :eek3: I never realized how loud we deaf people can be because generally I see them at bowling or other places where we don't really use their voice much to express ourselves, but at the deaf club party, they sure didn't hold back! :D

LOL!

There are some sounds that I can't believe is so loud. Generally people's voices are not too loud, but the other night I went to a deaf club party, we were playing poker. A lot of the deaf people sure are LOUD there. There was a lot of yelling and a lot of banging on the table...I had to lower the volume on my CI! :eek3: I never realized how loud we deaf people can be because generally I see them at bowling or other places where we don't really use their voice much to express ourselves, but at the deaf club party, they sure didn't hold back! :D

Er...I wonder why? :whistle:

Sounds like you are getting the hang of things! ;)

LOL!

Hahahahaha! That must have been quite a shock for you! Situations like that make you thankful for the volume control, doesn't it? LOL!

Your story reminds me of the time I attended my first AADB (American Association of the Deaf-Blind) conference. I was at a banquet having a nice conversation with another delegate and my tactile interpreter when all of a sudden I felt and heard a tremendous repetitive banging. "My lord," I signed. "What's going on?" My interpreter told me that all of the delegates were applauding. She said that one of the ways deafblind people show appreciation is by slapping their hands (with palms down) against the table. Since I had recently lost my hearing, no one taught me this -- not even my sign language instructor so I was REALLY taken by surprise. I'll never forget that experience! At least I'll be forewarned the next time I attend an AADB conference! LOL!

Hahahahaha! That must have been quite a shock for you! Situations like that make you thankful for the volume control, doesn't it? LOL!

Your story reminds me of the time I attended my first AADB (American Association of the Deaf-Blind) conference. I was at a banquet having a nice conversation with another delegate and my tactile interpreter when all of a sudden I felt and heard a tremendous repetitive banging. "My lord," I signed. "What's going on?" My interpreter told me that all of the delegates were applauding. She said that one of the ways deafblind people show appreciation is by slapping their hands (with palms down) against the table. Since I had recently lost my hearing, no one taught me this -- not even my sign language instructor so I was REALLY taken by surprise. I'll never forget that experience! At least I'll be forewarned the next time I attend an AADB conference! LOL!

Wow I didn't know that, LOL!

Tonight I and Abel went to watch the xmas play at Sunshine Cottage (oral school for deaf kids). It was REALLY enjoyable, I've never really enjoyed a school xmas play before. They had CART and everything so it was really enjoyable! Plus the kids there are just SO adorable in their little costumes! And the play, although vocal, was pretty animated (no signing though).

But...

When the entire audience clapped, the sounds was SO overwhelming! I can handle 1 or 2 person clapping their hands fine, but a whole audience?! OMG! :eek3: :-o :shock:

Tonight I and Abel went to watch the xmas play at Sunshine Cottage (oral school for deaf kids). It was REALLY enjoyable, I've never really enjoyed a school xmas play before. They had CART and everything so it was really enjoyable! Plus the kids there are just SO adorable in their little costumes! And the play, although vocal, was pretty animated (no signing though).

But...

When the entire audience clapped, the sounds was SO overwhelming! I can handle 1 or 2 person clapping their hands fine, but a whole audience?! OMG! :eek3: :-o :shock:
Thanks for visiting my old school

I used to be in a play at that school for Thanksgiving. I think I was a Turkey LOL :D I forgot all the lines eh
:D

Thanks for visiting my old school

I used to be in a play at that school for Thanksgiving. I think I was a Turkey LOL :D I forgot all the lines eh

Did you know that they are building a new school for Sunshine Cottage to move into? It should be complete in a couple of years and its within walking distance from the current location.

Did you know that they are building a new school for Sunshine Cottage to move into? It should be complete in a couple of years and its within walking distance from the current location.
Yes, I am aware of it, I am on their mailing list :)

LOL!

Ha ha! Reminds me of the time I was asked to teach some signs to a Cub Scout troop (for their foreign language badge) and to answer questions and I brought my hearing daughter along to facilitate communication between me and the little boys. One of the boys asked if our house was quiet (remember, there's me, deaf hubby, 2 older hearing kids and 2 younger deaf kids). My daughter roared with laughter and said NO, the house is VERY LOUD!

And you brought up Sunshine Cottage -- that's actually where I started my formal education -- my dad was stationed at Lackland AFB during the Korean War (you can tell how old I am, LOL).

Oh and anyways, Lucia -- please keep up the reporting of your CI moments! You've come a long way baby (hmm, what commercial did this come from?)

It was a little before my time, but I think it was from a commercial when I was a little kid. Wasnt it a cigarrette commercial for VIrginia slims?

Um, I think I'm mistaken...Medicare do cover batteries, but Medicaid does NOT cover them for ADULTS. They will cover batteries for CHILDREN only, I think.

Not unless you get a approval from medicaid, Once you sumit a pa request, they can't refuse not to pay for the coverage. So THEY HAVE to PAY for the batteries!!

lucia... sorry for a little offtopic here but i want to inform you that my upgrade processor is ordered and will get it next tues!!!!!!!!! WOOT! now ill need u to explain to me abt stuff LOL!!!

and im glad u got more and more of CI moments :)

lucia... sorry for a little offtopic here but i want to inform you that my upgrade processor is ordered and will get it next tues!!!!!!!!! WOOT! now ill need u to explain to me abt stuff LOL!!!

and im glad u got more and more of CI moments :)

OMG you're getting your 3G?!

TIME TO PARTY!!! WOO HOO!!!

I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!

I had my speech therapy session today (I have it 2x a week). She told me that I am making good progress. She wrote a report for my audiologist and my surgeon on my progress, and it is very positive. The report says that I am beginning to recognize sounds and to tell the difference between environmental sounds and speech/voice and that I am making slow but steady progress in learning to monitor my speech (to tell if I made the sound correctly). It also says that my good language skills has been to my advantage in learning speech, and that I am beginning to learn to discriminate some words by listening with a visual or a written cue.

Yep, slow but good progress. Many speech sounds are starting to sound familiar to me now, I still cannot understand them on my own yet but they sound familiar to me and my speech therapist says that is very good progress. Sometimes I can understand a letter sound here and there.

I've only been in speech therapy for a month. :D

Back