First appointment

Lucia - I am glad you are feeling better!! Monday is going to be here before you know it. Monday is going to start a whole new chapter in your life!!! I'm excited for you.

I've heard that when you first turn on the CI, speech sound like beeps. I wonder if everyone will sound like the roadrunner from the Roadrunner show. ;)

Yes that is right -- Fragmenter had told us that after his son's implant, he said he was hearing beeping sounds and I think those sounds have gone away and even his other grandmother (hearing) had commented that his voice sounded more natural and this is almost six weeks after being "turned on"!

Lucia, like always... :run: :hyper: You got ONE more day to go! You go, girl!

Anxious to hear from you after your "turn on"! Wonder if you would be like Fragmenter's son or have a different experience?

I've heard that when you first turn on the CI, speech sound like beeps. I wonder if everyone will sound like the roadrunner from the Roadrunner show. ;)

That really depends on the person and where they are coming from hearing wise. I heard speech right off the bat. I never had the "beeps" at all. I admit I had some confusion on what I heard (general all around environmental sounds) the first day but by day two it really started to clear up.

I would have to agree given what Lucia mentioned before about her hearing that she would probably hear beeps at first. Oh well, we will hear about it soon enough. :D

Good Luck Lucia. Enjoy having your brain assulted by all the noise. :) It will enventually clear up. :)

Good luck, Lucia.. cant wait to hear all of the details of your turn on experience! :D

Hi everybody, I am home!

The activation went very well. We did a quick mapping of the electrodes and set my comfort levels. I could hear my audiologist's voice (female) but have a harder time hearing Abel's voice (his voice is soft) and can't really hear other men's voices. I heard the automatic door opening and closing when I left the building, the elevator doors, some people's (mostly women) voices, I heard a lady walking in her high heels, I heard the wind, van door opening and closing, the wheelchair lift, the wheelchair (of someone else's) being secured, I heard the smacks when Abel was signing, and a lot of other things. I can hear myself typing right now and I can kind of hear my own voice too. When I left the office my volume was at 4 and on P1...now I am at 7 and still P1. I was given 4 maps, each one louder than the last.

I still cannot hear cars/vehicles yet and other things. That will come with time, I'm sure.

I was given 2 processors...I guess I had misunderstood my audiologist at my last appointment and thought I was only getting one. I am so pleased that I have a back-up processor!

I go back in 2 weeks to see my doctor and in a month for another mapping, however, my audiologist said that if I am tolerating the sounds very well and want them tweaked again I could call and come in sooner than that! :)

Awesome! I am glad it went well! :)

I am waiting for insurance card then I get move on! LOL! I hate waiting!! :lol:

Hi everybody, I am home!

The activation went very well. We did a quick mapping of the electrodes and set my comfort levels. I could hear my audiologist's voice (female) but have a harder time hearing Abel's voice (his voice is soft) and can't really hear other men's voices. I heard the automatic door opening and closing when I left the building, the elevator doors, some people's (mostly women) voices, I heard a lady walking in her high heels, I heard the wind, van door opening and closing, the wheelchair lift, the wheelchair (of someone else's) being secured, I heard the smacks when Abel was signing, and a lot of other things. I can hear myself typing right now and I can kind of hear my own voice too. When I left the office my volume was at 4 and on P1...now I am at 7 and still P1. I was given 4 maps, each one louder than the last.

I still cannot hear cars/vehicles yet and other things. That will come with time, I'm sure.

I was given 2 processors...I guess I had misunderstood my audiologist at my last appointment and thought I was only getting one. I am so pleased that I have a back-up processor!

I go back in 2 weeks to see my doctor and in a month for another mapping, however, my audiologist said that if I am tolerating the sounds very well and want them tweaked again I could call and come in sooner than that! :)

When I had my turn on. I didnt hear beep beep. I heard alot of sounds around the room and outside..

Hi everybody, I am home!

heeeey way to go!! You ll get use to it.. good luck!!

Whoo hoo! So glad for you! :dance2:

(thought it interesting about men's voices -- my hoh sister can talk to our mom on the phone but she cannot understand our dad -- wonder if the tone and/or pitch of voice makes a difference?)

I also forgot to say that I heard paper rustling too.
Hey Lucia, write down everything u heard also make a journal or report for Audiologist can read it what u have heard. Make a copy for them. It helps them to know. I did with mine. They were grateful with it otherwise they wont know what was going on.

Back