Experiences with my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SxyPorkie said:
you need to spell words right in english.. wisper should be whisper... hear (past tense) should be heard not heared..

Thanks...
SxyPorkie

Oh, give him a break! He knows several languages; at least he has correct English structure.

SxyPorkie said:
you need to spell words right in english.. wisper should be whisper... hear (past tense) should be heard not heared..

Thanks...
SxyPorkie
Thank you for the info.
I will return the favour in the future.

Cloggy said:
Thank you for the info.
I will return the favour in the future.

:cheers: Yes, you sure did in another thread! Good job!

BTW, your Lotte is beautiful and so are your other children. I especially loved the picture of Lottie looking at her brother while he was reading the book! They look so close.

Have a great weekend, all! Hope you're able to give Lotte that hug and kiss from me.

Cloggy said:
In order to prevent putting this information in a topic and thereby getting off-topic... I thought I would share some information here.

Our daughter was born in august 2002 and was found to be profound deaf in june 2003. She wore HA's - to no effect - until she had bi-lateral CI. These were activated in november 2004.

For the interested: here are some pictures of her, most from just after the operation and some 2 weeks after that , when the wound had healed.

Here some where she's signing with my wife. Note the BTE's in little bags on the back. She has them on both sides.

Here's another view of the bags with BTE's on her schoulders...
Lotte%20-%20afgewend detail.jpg

The first posts are from some time ago. I just wanted to share these as well. The last one happened today, this morning.

your daughter is adorable...
i love pictures....
My little guy can be seen on this web site.
www.carepages.com
the name of his page is called PrayersForNick (all one word)

I look forward to reading all of your posts.

July 2006 - Vacation in Holland

Time for an update..

Vacation time, so we took the boat from Norway to Denmark and drove to Holland. I flew back (some people have to work) and left wife and 3 kids in Holland.
This was about 2 weeks ago and with Lotte the effects are clearly visible.
Especially now when my wife is visiting good friens (also with 3 kids) where Lotte is playing with the youngest; 3 years old. In speach he's a bit ahead of Lotte (4 years) but the have no problem communicating.
They play with each other, which for a child of 3 is unusual (they play next to other kids) but it goes like clockwork.

Lotte's speech has improved over the last two weeks. The cause seems to be that she is using Dutch only there. (There is absolutely no Norwegian being spoken.) Sign is still used occaisionally, but also far less that in Norway where she can use it a lot in the kindergarden.

Clear sentenses are appearing now. Like "Mom, can you give me knive". It's great to watch the development and it's going faster and faster.
She gives better indication when she doesn't want to use it any more. This is in the afternoon when she's probably tire of playing all day and hearing all deay. We have the deal that she has to goto bed when the CI is taken off, but perhaps, with 5 other children chatting in her ears all day, it might be an idea to have it taken off when she requests it. (I'm sure this falls in the category "Forcing to wear CI" for some people.) Without CI she will still talk normally. No low or hard voice, she just continues as if she hears..

The vacations in Holland have allways lead to leaps in her development. The focus on 1 language seems to make the process accelerate. When coming back to Norway (2 languages) there is no problem adjusting. The progress made is straighforward applied to Norwegian. It's a cognitive process that is stimulated..

Sign is still important. It is now mainly used when she can't hear like in the shower, the pool. Sometimes she uses it when she wants to say something and we don't get it. She'll start with speech, but will add sign if needed. When she's exited and wants to tell stories she also uses sign, but less than before.
Sometimes this is a problem, because with sign, we understood what she was talking about... now we have to guess sometimes...

But.. it's wonderfull to see her grow up like this.

Cloggy and Mous, your daughter is beautiful! :) I can see that you have put a lot of thought into your decision to implant and I am happy that it is working out for you and your family. I have to say, also, that it makes me happy that you also use sign with your daughter, and understand the limits of the CI. My son attended Deaf school with several CI users. Most would use the CI in classroom, but took it off when socializing with friends. So many of their parents didn't understand why, and would fuss at them to put the CI back on. But those are the same parents that never bothered to learn sign, just wanted their kids to not be deaf. I can see that you are not one of those kind of parents.

Good luck to you and your family. I look forward to updates on how Lotte is doing.

jillio said:
Good luck to you and your family. I look forward to updates on how Lotte is doing.
Thanks Jillio,
Appreciate your feedback.

I'm so happy to hear all the progress Lotte is making! The speech literaly gets better week by week and it's so amazing how natural it comes to them when they are that young. How long has she had her CI now for? Kayla has had it for 3 1/2 years now.

kayla123 said:
I'm so happy to hear all the progress Lotte is making! The speech literaly gets better week by week and it's so amazing how natural it comes to them when they are that young. How long has she had her CI now for? Kayla has had it for 3 1/2 years now.
She heared for the first time when she was 28 months, that was in november 2004. So, just under two years now.

Take this child..

Take this child

Give her wings
to hear
the sound of my smile

Give her wings
to hear
the radiance of my eyes

Never the same again
after today
Blessed
with an exceptional gift

To hear light
To see sound
gives wings to the soul

Lottes Mum, october 4th, 2004
to the surgeon operating on Lotte​

August 2006 - New kindergarten

As mentionned before, Lotte "grew" a lot during the holidays. A lot can be contributed to being in an all-dutch environment with little to no signs.

2 Weeks ago she went to an all-hearing kindergarten for 3 days in the week. This went very well. No problems adjusting. She's enjoying it tremendously.
IMG_6698.JPG

It was funny that on the second day, one of the teachers said that Lotte used sign which - off course - they don't understand. There was no frustration from Lottes side that se was not understood.
I asked them what she signed, and it was "home". Then I turned to Lotte, and asked her... what is "this" - making the sign for home, and she immediately replied - for the teacher to hear - "home"... This showed that she was just tired and didn't want to speak. And it showed in a nutshell that she's at the right place. In the other kindergarten people would have understood her. Here, Lotte will have to speak in order to be understood.

In two weeks we can see the improvement in her speech. It's difficult to determine if it's due to more hearing-environment, but the progress is there.

Last edited:
Playing the flute!

Yesterday, her sister, Sanne came home with a recorder and enjoyed playing on it. That was enough motivation for Lotte to find one herself and blow on it as well. In no time the house was filled with random notes... most of them false.
My wife helped Sanne to play a tune. She closed the holes, while Sanne blew. This went fine, and of course, Lotte also wanted to do this. And this went GREAT!! She blew at the correct intervals, excellent timing. She picked it up from her sister and repeated it without problems.

Couldn't resist putting this picture here. She collapsed the day before, being dead-tired and dirty as a pig... This was the result when she came down the next morning....
whoaahhh.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday, her sister, Sanne came home with a recorder and enjoyed playing on it. That was enough motivation for Lotte to find one herself and blow on it as well. In no time the house was filled with random notes... most of them false.
My wife helped Sanne to play a tune. She closed the holes, while Sanne blew. This went fine, and of course, Lotte also wanted to do this. And this went GREAT!! She blew at the correct intervals, excellent timing. She picked it up from her sister and repeated it without problems.

Hey Coggy .. Welcome back on your own thread.

I miss to hear update about your daughter's processing. Now she's in kindergarten. Ha ha I can understand that she's tired but that's because it's all new. It takes time to adjusting. I'm sure she'll love it. It's amazing!!!

As a recorder as you recalled, it sounds like it's a fluke, the word we use in USA. Is it high sound (pitch)? Wonderful that Lotte can picked up and repeated without problem.

Thanks for your reply. I do update far too little. Will try to improve.
My wife playes the flute. Made of metal, played sideways. Recorder is used for the wooden flute.
It ranges from high to low pitch.

Lotte is so cute! And glad to hear of her making even more progress!

That is so awesome that Lotte can enjoy music. I play clarinet and guitar and have hopes that Isaac will enjoy music as well after his implant.

I love your stories and pictures. Lotte is such an amazing little girl!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back