Experiences with my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVE reading about Lotte's experiences. I am just so happy and proud for her! She's a wonderful role model for any parent to consider if they are investigating the effects of CI's. Her pictures never fail to bring a smile to my face. Give her a hug - she's so super special.

We ourself don't realise the improvements we (or in our case - our daughter) makes. We sometimes notice on the spot that her pronounciation is correct after repeating words, but sometimes we have to stop and realise that the word she just said is correct... where a week ago she would not be able to pronounce it....

A couple of days ago, I put on a tape of Lotte from 1-1/2 year ago and my wife and me could not believe the difference.!!!
At that time she had the CI for 7 months and she was doing well, but compared to now... it's just amazing. There she would make sounds. Lots of them, but often not recognisable. Now, she is great at repeating words...

It's good to have your own tests.. Like we have her sing a little song now and then, and catch it on videotape, and compare it with the last time we did it.... and the first time.
This gives a good idea of the progres, and the progres is really there.... it's just difficult to capture it.. Video is GREAT!!

Great idea about the taping. I will definetly do that to see the progress. Thanks for keeping us posted. I can't wait to experience these kinds of things with my daughter.

Guy's and girls...

From this topic I created a Blog for Lotte

Some of the discussions from here I put there as comments, since they give good info.

I'll still post the stuff here, since I feel the feedback from all of you is great.....

C U out there... and here!

Cloggy, AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! I love the blog. Ya know, that is the first blog I have ever read.
And yes, you got me all choked up and teaty eyed reading about Lotte and her progress again.

Cloggy, AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME!!! I love the blog. Ya know, that is the first blog I have ever read.
And yes, you got me all choked up and teaty eyed reading about Lotte and her progress again.
Nice to hear.. thanks.

He guy's .... I made a cop cry!!!!!:dance2:

For me it's also emotional reading through all these posts again. Time flies, and she's doing great...

2006-10 (October) - Mapping

Her 2-year evaluation was this month.

This is done in Oslo (all the mapping, as well as the operation) and took just 1 day.
One of the teachers of the Kindergarten joined us, since it's good for them as well to see what it means to have CI.

Two sessions are scheduled. The first one is primairaly checking the equipment, and then some hearing tests. To see where the limits are. Limits regarding frequency but also regarding amplitude... She was great and surprised the technician with some of the sounds she could hear.

The second session is normally a short session. Testing the understanding of speech.
Sometime this can be tricky, since this is all done in Norwegian whereas she hears Dutch at home and Norwegian in the kindergarten.

This time it took more time. Partly because it is a 2-year check, but also because Lotte was responding so well that the audiologist wanted to do some extra tests. (Doing well as in being patient and not getting bored, tired etc.... Guess the loves the attention - being a Leo)
So instead of the anticipated 30-45 minutes, it took a whopping 3 hours.
In between we stopped in order to get Lotte an icecream.
However, she noticed the pineapple on the paper wrap and decided there and then that she would not like it.... (Anything green, looking like fruit or vegetable she will refuse.) So, it ended up with NO icecream.

But our little girl is doing great. In the kindergarten the speech therapist did a test with her to find out what "speech"-age she is, and came up with 2½. That's great for a child that heared for the first time less than 2 years ago!!

teaty eyed??? LOL! I know you meant teary eyed! :giggle:

Wonder if you could come up with a blog about Lilly?

Her 2-year evaluation was this month.

This is done in Oslo (all the mapping, as well as the operation) and took just 1 day.
One of the teachers of the Kindergarten joined us, since it's good for them as well to see what it means to have CI.
But our little girl is doing great. In the kindergarten the speech therapist did a test with her to find out what "speech"-age she is, and came up with 2½. That's great for a child that heared for the first time less than 2 years ago!!

That is AWESOME! So it has been 2 years already?

Cloggy,

How much of her success do you think is due to dual CI's? We want to keep our window of opportunity open before it's too late.

Thanks!

Cloggy wrote very clearly:

That means- when his daughter realizes her CI has fallen off, SHE put it BACK herself.

Fuzzy

yeah, my son has to have his on at all times so we wait until he falls asleep to take it off and conserve battery power.

If we dont take Lillys off, she would never go to sleep. About an nour before bed time, we "unplug" her. We have our own little gesture for taking it off or putting it on. She happily takes it off at the end of the day. I think she enjoys the down time to relax.

Iforgot to add,
Lilly also puts her coil on when it falls off. She hasnt golt the earpeice onn by herself. The Huggy is a little too difficult for that just yet.

Cloggy,

How much of her success do you think is due to dual CI's? We want to keep our window of opportunity open before it's too late.

Thanks!
Benefits are there.
She once had one of her processors broken, and then she had CI on just 1 side. But this is allready a big plus... she could still hear. Without bi-lateral, she would have been without sound.

In that time we noticed that with 1 CI she could not hear us as well. Noise was a real problem then, whereas with 2 ci's she has no problem following a conversation in the car or in the kitchen.

Also the sense of where sound comes from is helped with 2xCI. When hearing on 1 side, other senses and logic will determine where sound comes from. bi-lateral CI will help a lot.

Regarding an additional operation.... I have seen children in lottes school that got a second one after 1 to 2 years of CI. This means that in order to stimulate the new CI-side, the other side has to be disconnected. This can be really frustrating for these children.
I'm really glad that Lotte got both sides at the same time, so we don't have that problem.
But, realise that the additional benefit of a second ci is definitely there and I feel it is more than often suggetsed in articles and by the medical professionals. BUT it is still small compared to the benefit of the first CI. THAT benefit is huge.

Boy and girls,

For those interested, I changed Lottes blogger address....

It's now here.

Thanks for the nice feedback!

Cloggy,

Thanks!

To follow up on this...I don't think you have to worry too much about your "window of opportunity" as you think you do.

Just having one CI conveys tremendous advantages over a youngster who doesn't have one. The brain now has a real "roadmap" in how to handle sounds and language development has become so much easier. The question now becomes whether or not it is "worth" going throught the process a second time.

As Cloggy has shown us, there are advantages (good ones too!) to having two CIs for his daughter. At the same time, I will personally attest that having one CI is a very workable situation and it really isn't a big deal (which explains why I have no interest in getting a second one for myself). If my processor has a breakdown, I can just switch to my other one and not be inconvenienced at all (er...well momentarily until I get the other one :D ). I have and others have have mentioned that a second CI will not give you the same "bang for the buck" as the first one.

Last edited:
To follow up on this...I don't think you have to worry too much about your "window of opportunity" as you think you do.

Just having one CI conveys tremendous advantages over a youngster who doesn't have one. The brain now has a real "roadmap" in how to handle sounds and language development has become so much easier. The question now becomes whether or not it is "worth" going throught the process a second time.

As Cloggy has shown us, there are advantages (good ones too!) to having two CIs for his daughter. At the same time, I will personally attest that having one CI is a very workable situation and it really isn't a big deal (which explains why I have no interest in getting a second one for myself). If my processor has a breakdown, I can just switch to my other one and not be inconvenienced at all (er...well momentarily until I get the other one :D ). I have and others have have mentioned that a second CI will not give you the same "bang for the buck" as the first one.

This is very good to know. With one (or even two), how well do you hear in a crowded room? And this will sound like a very dumb question, but if someone was on the 2nd floor of the house and you were in your basement, would you hear them yell for you? I am sorry if this is a very stupid question. Can you tell where the sound is coming from and would you hear something that far away. A person with normal hearing should hear that, but some don't anyway. Example, if I call my husband and say "come kill this bug", I think he pretends to not hear me!

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back