Experiences with my daughter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
neecy said:
I'm always willing to answer questions - that goes for you or anybody else here :)

I'll remember that :deal:

Cloggy said:
"Job child?"
We live in Norway, so all 3 children are exposed to Norwegian.
Lotte, being deaf also uses sign. (The other two know a bit, and the middle one is on a childrens-course)
At home we speak dutch. English reading and writing is second nature for us adults. The children started at school with it.

Regarding Lotte, she actuallt refused to do an exercises with my wife in Norwegian. She insisted on Dutch. The same with people that she's used to sign to. She won't speak. And then there are others she uses Norwegian for.
So, with her CI she's very well capable to differenciate between the three languages. (English will have to wait for her..)

Oops I mean what a joy child u have. :)

Cool, reason I asked u cuz when she learns to say eigh and your wife corrected her by add t at the end. I do not know if you teach her to speak english or what. I can not image how to pronounce eight in Dutch.

jazzy said:
Oops I mean what a joy child u have. :)

Cool, reason I asked u cuz when she learns to say eigh and your wife corrected her by add t at the end. I do not know if you teach her to speak english or what. I can not image how to pronounce eight in Dutch.

With the "job" child: I looked at the keyboard and found the Y and B far apart. So I thought you meant she was a lot of work :)

About "eigh": In dutch it's "acht", also with a "t". So it was easy to translate the example.

Saterday 12. may 2006

We had a great experience this morning with Lotte.

Sitting at breakfast, I ticked on a bottle with water, making a nice sound. Started a game with her where she would say "yes" when she heared it. At 2m distance (6-7 feet) she could hear just the touch of my nail on the bottle. My mother-in-law who wears hearing-aids (sitting atg 3ft) could not hear it.
Was great fun and showed how well she could hear.

Same with whispering.
When we wisper to her, she'll wisper back. It's beautiful to see that response and it took a while before we realised that "whispering" is not a deaf activity.

We are learning every day.

These stories gives us hope. I enjoy reading about Lotte's progress!

OH that is so great! I know what you mean about whispering!!! I never could while deaf, but now with the CI I can!! Isn't that so wierd?

2006-05-15

She started learnig about other experiences...... :)

Lotte Reading Wired for Sound.JPG

Wow she must be very advanced! ;)

And you have a nice view out the window - a fjord?

R2D2 said:
Wow she must be very advanced! ;)

And you have a nice view out the window - a fjord?
Well, for a book with only 1 oicture in it, she was very interested in it....
Nah, just copying her dad, browsing through the book.

Yep, .. we're lucky with where we live. (Remember the three important things when buying a house.... Location-Location-Location)

wow, Lotto look prettier now...

It look like that she start to learn English, don't she?

I have the same book! And Lottie is sooooo damn cute!!! :)

Fuzzy

Cloggy, thank you for posting about your precious daughter! it really helps me to see a fresh face of CI
like my son said, a HA is the LAST option before deciding on CI; the HA did not work for my grandson so my son and his wife are checking this out -- they want to do what is the best for their son

greema said:
Cloggy, thank you for posting about your precious daughter! it really helps me to see a fresh face of CI
like my son said, a HA is the LAST option before deciding on CI; the HA did not work for my grandson so my son and his wife are checking this out -- they want to do what is the best for their son
Greema,
I have no idea what it's like to be deaf. (Closing my ears doesn't help) but I do know about having a child that has CI.
Feel free to ask anything.

C U

2006-05-16 - Midnight

Just sharing another experience:

Lotte has an infection on her toe (bit her nail a bit too much and/or tore the nail into the flesh) and is administered penniciline.
This she needs 3 times a day, which while in childcare is difficult.
So we give her in the morning, the afternoon and at midnight. First the medicine, then a glass of juice that she really likes. She's fine with it even though the tast is horrible.

Midnight is the difficult one because she is fast asleep. Trying to wake her up is difficult because she turns away from the light, and clings on to me.
Signing is therefore not possibble.
So we use the CI. We put it on while she's still asleep and tell her that she needs to get her medicine. And this helps. She realises what's going to happen and is cooperating.
Wonderful!!

Cloggy said:
Just sharing another experience:

Lotte has an infection on her toe (bit her nail a bit too much and/or tore the nail into the flesh) and is administered penniciline.
This she needs 3 times a day, which while in childcare is difficult.
So we give her in the morning, the afternoon and at midnight. First the medicine, then a glass of juice that she really likes. She's fine with it even though the tast is horrible.

Midnight is the difficult one because she is fast asleep. Trying to wake her up is difficult because she turns away from the light, and clings on to me.
Signing is therefore not possibble.
So we use the CI. We put it on while she's still asleep and tell her that she needs to get her medicine. And this helps. She realises what's going to happen and is cooperating.
Wonderful!!

That's wonderful!

2006-05-21

Funny thing happened yesterday

Lotte is using less sign as her vocabulary grows. Same with us. We speak to her but we'll sign when she doesn't understand and if she understands the sign, we'll say the word/sentence again.

But Lotte is doing the same!
My wife didn't understand what she was saying and this time it was Lotte who used sign to explain what she meant.

It's great to be able to use sign. We feel that it helped her stay secure with communication while learning to hear, to listen and speak.
Obviously we have no referance if her progress would be faster when we would not have used sign, but that doesn't matter. We know we did the right thing.

We actually realised today that Lotte has still been deaf longer then hearing. She got CI when she was 2¼ years old. She has only had CI for 1¾ years....
Amazing!

for the bodyworn proccessor

R2D2 said:
You mean a little bag? Is the bag enclosed? Wouldn't it jump around a bit when doing some vigourous activity? Now there's an idea. I like to sew so maybe I could make a funky one? Is it possible by any chance that you could post a photo of Lotte's bodyworn bag so that I can get an idea of what it looks like?

I'll have to test it all out. It sounds like some people don't like wearing the bodyworn. I'm getting two cables of different lengths so that I can wear the shorter one if I want to without wires flapping everywhere.

The other thing is that if I buy batteries from the US I can get them half price compared to Australia. There are some companies that are happy tip to a lowAustralia for quite postage cost $US 5.50.
When my daughter was wearing her body worn proccessor, I bought the smallest sport bras i could find in the girls section(she was only 3 at the time) and sewed a pocket on to it, just big enough to fit the proccessor with a piece of material and then sewed snaps on to it. It worked great, it never fell out no matter how active she was. :)

kayla123 said:
When my daughter was wearing her body worn proccessor, I bought the smallest sport bras i could find in the girls section(she was only 3 at the time) and sewed a pocket on to it, just big enough to fit the proccessor with a piece of material and then sewed snaps on to it. It worked great, it never fell out no matter how active she was. :)
Lotte is using BTE's. So she's actually hearing from the shoulders. The only thing that fall of now and then are the spools.
My guess is that you are thinking of the processor on the body.

With Lotte, that would have been too much (bi.lateral CI = 2 processors) so therefore we mainly use the BTE's. Hardly any weight. Batteries are more expensive but in Norway these are provided for free.
The BTE is too thick for her ears. That's why they are on the shoulder.

But I'll keep the bra in mind. Good solution .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back