Emergency Unemployment Benefits Fillibustered Again by GOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been there and I found a way around. Like I said, it is not end of world.

Mind you, I was homeless back in early 90's without nothing in my pocket and I got out of it. Mind you I don't get unemployment insurance payment. That is due to relocation to New York. I am glad I was homeless for few months, if it were not for it I may be same old thing struggling.

Yeah, right, moving, with what? *pulls out empty pocket* and why the hell do I wanna live any of those god awful places anyway?

Yiz

Been there and I found a way around. Like I said, it is not end of world.

Mind you, I was homeless back in early 90's without nothing in my pocket and I got out of it. Mind you I don't get unemployment insurance payment. That is due to relocation to New York. I am glad I was homeless for few months, if it were not for it I may be same old thing struggling.

I was homeless for 11 months and unemployed for 5 months back in 2001-02. I got myself out of it and then I met my wife in 2005 and we married in 2006.

Then suddenly in 2008 she wound up in the hospital and been in it for a year. She came home last year on the same day my boss fired me because I asked to drop to part time and on weekends as I needed time to care for her and set up a home health aid agency so someone can be there so I go back to work full time.

Now that I am unemployed and unable to find work, even if I did find one, I doubt the employer would wait 3-4 weeks to get the waiver hours paper work to be approved by Medicaid before I can go to work. As of current, I have 60 hrs of waiver time for the Nurse Aid help per month. If I find a 40 hr a week job, those extra waiver hrs needs to be approved first. I can't leave my wife alone as anything could happen if I am not there to assist her.

So you see the dilemma that I am dealing with.

Yiz

I can see the issue here, but question, why can't you find somebody who may have similiar issues and get roomate together that way can take turn to take care while go to work? I would find a damn roomate, there are plenty of people that got no job, or need housing. You could offer reduced rent in exchange? Impossible? I feel sorry for you that you won't be willing to find solution.

I was homeless for 11 months and unemployed for 5 months back in 2001-02. I got myself out of it and then I met my wife in 2005 and we married in 2006.

Then suddenly in 2008 she wound up in the hospital and been in it for a year. She came home last year on the same day my boss fired me because I asked to drop to part time and on weekends as I needed time to care for her and set up a home health aid agency so someone can be there so I go back to work full time.

Now that I am unemployed and unable to find work, even if I did find one, I doubt the employer would wait 3-4 weeks to get the waiver hours paper work to be approved by Medicaid before I can go to work. As of current, I have 60 hrs of waiver time for the Nurse Aid help per month. If I find a 40 hr a week job, those extra waiver hrs needs to be approved first. I can't leave my wife alone as anything could happen if I am not there to assist her.

Yiz

I can see the issue here, but question, why can't you find somebody who may have similiar issues and get roomate together that way can take turn to take care while go to work? I would find a damn roomate, there are plenty of people that got no job, or need housing. You could offer reduced rent in exchange? Impossible? I feel sorry for you that you won't be willing to find solution.

Huh? I am trying, what makes you think I'm not? Like I said before, you don't know me. Are you suddenly me and know all of my entire memories and see what I do on a everyday daily basis?

Did someone skimmed over the fact that I also have medical issues myself and I'm in pain? Do I have to post my medical papers or something?

As for roommate, easier said than done when it comes to TRUST issues. My wife doesn't like strangers and I'm leery with people too.

I'm dropping this issue because people are ASS-U-ME(ing) something about me when in actuality you don't even know me.

I hate that when people suddenly THINK they know EVERYTHING that there is to know about me.

*sheesh!*

Yiz

Yiz

No friends or family?

Huh? I am trying, what makes you think I'm not? Like I said before, you don't know me. Are you suddenly me and know all of my entire memories and see what I do on a everyday daily basis?

Did someone skimmed over the fact that I also have medical issues myself and I'm in pain? Do I have to post my medical papers or something?

As for roommate, easier said than done when it comes to TRUST issues. My wife doesn't like strangers and I'm leery with people too.

I'm dropping this issue because people are ASS-U-ME(ing) something about me when in actuality you don't even know me.

I hate that when people suddenly THINK they know EVERYTHING that there is to know about me.

*sheesh!*

Yiz

I think most are trying to help

Assuming? Are you out of your mind? I am just giving you an example that nothing is impossible. If you want to be like cry babies American... IT IS ALL ABOUT ME ME ME ME nothing else! That is the tone I am getting from you. Do whatever you want to, but I can guarantee you one thing, if you go this way, you will never success, and your on road screwing yourself.

This is blunt with you, and I am not assuming anything on you, it is what I see you screaming "This is end of world".

Either get your stubborn mind open up, otherwise keep your mind close and there won't be any solution for you.

*sheesh!*

Yiz

Exactly.

What I learn, and I DO regret that I should have listen long time ago what people kept telling me exact what I am trying to explain to Yiz. I was alot like Yiz until one day, I said to myself... Alright Im listen to somebody else and give this shot and guess what? It WORKED.

I think most are trying to help

JFK says this backasswards, "ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do for your country."

That may be the greastest thing ever said by ANY President. It is about personal accountability and building a strong nation....... not a strong government.

That is actually a quote by Kahlil Gibran, and is found in a treatise he wrote regarding the Lebanonese government in the 1920's.

Exactly.

What I learn, and I DO regret that I should have listen long time ago what people kept telling me exact what I am trying to explain to Yiz. I was alot like Yiz until one day, I said to myself... Alright Im listen to somebody else and give this shot and guess what? It WORKED.

Yep. If what you are doing isn't working, it is time to try something else.

Yup, if this path not working try something else. What I see Yiz is sticking with Unemployment benefits, what he didn't realize that this won't last forever. Having mentality that UI will last forever is like signing a death warrant.

Yep. If what you are doing isn't working, it is time to try something else.

Yiz, I know I that I sounded very harsh. This is because this is REALITY. Now ask yourself question... Suppose that government decided not to give any more extension to Unemployment benefit anymore. What are you going to do? Ask yourself, is it good idea to wait to see what government going to do? You need to THINK *N O W* as if there are no more benefits, and decide what you can do to resolve the problem.

It is up to you to wait longer and suffer more later or do something else now starting now which would minimize suffering.

Yiz, I know I that I sounded very harsh. This is because this is REALITY. Now ask yourself question... Suppose that government decided not to give any more extension to Unemployment benefit anymore. What are you going to do? Ask yourself, is it good idea to wait to see what government going to do? You need to THINK *N O W* as if there are no more benefits, and decide what you can do to resolve the problem.

It is up to you to wait longer and suffer more later or do something else now starting now which would minimize suffering.

Excellent advise. Couldn't have said it better myself!

Emergency Unemployment Benefits Fillibustered Again by GOP
Quote:
The GOP strategy of obstruction is working beautifully

As you know, I've been arguing here that the GOP strategy of obstruction is paying off for Republicans -- big time. The public is blaming Democrats, not Republicans, for the government dysfunction that has resulted from Republican obstructionist tactics, because Dems are in charge.

Now we have the clearest illustration of this phenomenon yet, courtesy of the internals of the new Washington Post poll.

Here's the rub: The most visible example of GOP obstruction yet has been the blockade of an extension of unemployment benefits. The poll shows the public overwhelmingly supports this extension -- and it also shows the public is deeply frustrated with the workings of Federal government. Yet despite these two facts, Republicans are now leading in the generic Congressional matchup.

Here's the poll's finding on unemployment benefits:

Because of the economic downturn, Congress has extended the period in which people can receive unemployment benefits, and is considering doing so again. Supporters say this will help those who can't find work. Opponents say this adds too much to the federal budget deficit. Do you think Congress should or should not approve another extension of unemployment benefits?

Should 62

Should not 36

That's not even close. What's more, the public is deeply unhappy with the Federal government's performance, with an astonishing 64 percent saying they're dissatisfied or angry about it.

Yet Republicans are not paying any price for this. While the poll shows the GOP is not trusted on the economy, Republicans have edged ahead in the generic ballot matchup, 47-46. Anti-incumbent sentiment is soaring -- only one-fourth say they're inclined to re-elected their Representative -- which will also help Republicans. And a majority, 51 percent, support GOP control of Congress so it can act as a "check" on Obama's policies.

This clearly demonstrates that people have not connected GOP obstructionism with one of its most visible results: The prevention of the extended of unemployment benefits that a sizable majority says it wants.

Bottom line: The GOP tactics are working brilliantly in political terms. Dems are bearing the brunt of the blame for government dysfunction. I'm not sure it could be clearer than this.
Source: The Plum Line - The GOP strategy of obstruction is working beautifully

Well, do you think that playing games with Obama that they hate so much that putting us millions of unemployed in the middle of it all is considered fair?

This is so BS.

Now I am worried about how I am gonna find food and medicine for my wife.

There has to be a better way around that problem. Putting the unemployed

Well said. I have to say I agree on this one. Neither the Demos or the Repubs are going to look like roses given all these filibusters and there are times when I think both parties have to go.

You raise an excellent point here as well.

Hey Yizuman, you need find any solution on your own to get out of crisis without need extension of unemployment benefits.

Have you try to talk with family counselor and they could help you to deal with this issue?

Jobless benefits extension passes Senate

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Senate Wednesday voted 59 to 39 to restore unemployment benefits to 2.5 million jobless Americans, ending a seven-week stalemate.

The bill, which would push back the deadline to file for extended unemployment benefits until the end of November, now goes to the House, where it is expected to pass on Thursday. The president is expected to sign the measure quickly.

On Monday, Obama called on the Senate to pass the extension, saying the unemployed should not be held hostage to politics. He praised lawmakers after the Senate narrowly approved Tuesday a key procedural step that allowed the bill to move to final passage.

"Today marks an important step toward passing the unemployment insurance extension which is critical to millions of Americans fighting to find a job, put food on the table and make ends meet during this tough economic time," he said on Tuesday.

The jobless stopped getting their checks in early June, after Congress failed to extend the deadline to apply for benefits. Senate Republicans, as well as Nebraska Democrat Ben Nelson, prevented the legislation's passage, saying it should be paid for first. They suggested covering the $34 billion tab with unused stimulus money, a step the Senate Democratic leadership rejected.

Federal unemployment payments, which last up to 73 weeks, kick in after the state-funded 26 weeks of coverage expire. These federal benefits are divided into tiers, and the jobless must apply each time they move into a new tier.

The payments will be retroactive to the previous deadline of June 2. But it could take up to a month for states to start sending the checks again, experts said.

Lynda Kahn of Coral Springs, Fla., can't wait to get that check. She stopped getting benefits last week and applied for Medicaid, only to be turned down because she doesn't have dependent children. But she did get a supermarket gift card from a local charity to supplement her $200 a month food stamp allotment.

Kahn depends on her unemployment check, which was $275 a week plus a $25 stimulus-funded supplement that will be discontinued. She lost her job as a manager for a doctor's office last August.

"It covers my mortgage payment," she said.

Similarly, Michael Tait of Locust Grove, Va., hopes that Congress passes the extension before he runs out of benefits next week. He receives $410 plus the $25 supplemental.

Since he lost his job as a vice president at a water treatment company in January, he has applied for more than 200 jobs, including at a gas station, supermarket and pharmacy, with no success. The 64-year-old was finally forced to apply early for Social Security in late June, which he didn't want to do since he will lose $252 a month for not waiting until his full retirement age of 66.

If Congress extends the deadline, Tait and his wife won't have to dip into their retirement savings and will be able to catch up on some bills.

"We wouldn't have to live week to week," he said.

Senate passes bill to extend jobless benefits - Jul. 21, 2010

Yizuman, good news for you but I expect you to find a job as soon as possible and find someone to take care of your wife.

Foxrac....

Thats like someone telling you that they EXPECT you to get rid of all of your games and game consoles by the end of the week, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Should you word it another way?

My boyfriend, knowing this would happen has been looking for a job everywhere. Even the shit jobs noone wants.

Noone is hiring here.

To get rid of unemplyment benefits, the government needs to fix the root of the issue....... by fixing the economy...

Foxrac....

Thats like someone telling you that they EXPECT you to get rid of all of your games and game consoles by the end of the week, no ifs, ands or buts about it.

Should you word it another way?

My boyfriend, knowing this would happen has been looking for a job everywhere. Even the shit jobs noone wants.

Noone is hiring here.

To get rid of unemplyment benefits, the government needs to fix the root of the issue....... by fixing the economy...

I'm not alone since other members gave him an advice but he chose to ignore. If he doesn't want to follow an advice that other members given so that's fine with me but I'm just hopefully that he will find somewhere to deal with issue if he lose the unemployment pay and I wasn't try to be rude at him but just act like expect that he could do on his own, that all.

Like DHB said, I have encourage unemployed Americans to seeking for a job while live on unemployment pay and they can't wait until unemployment pay expire so it would be less headache and less crisis. There are other option about can enroll at school and find a better job after we are getting out of recession.

I bet that senators won't expand again in November due hot battle election and more democrats could lose the ability to break the filibuster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back