Emergency Unemployment Benefits Fillibustered Again by GOP

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Cleveland went on to point out that “the friendliness and charity of our countrymen can always be relied on to relieve their fellow citizens in misfortune,” and indeed that “individual aid has to some extent already been extended to the sufferers mentioned in this bill.” "

It doesn't happen for many people. Many died broke and without insurance.

Still not a government problem.... :)

Did it ever occur to you that perhaps there are real reasons to oppose extending federal unemployment benefits for years and years and years? Off the top of my head, I can think of several reasons that don't involve being apathetic to your wife's fate. Also, the fact is, Republicans would have given enough support if the money had come out of the stimulus, but the Democrats didn't want to do that because they wanted their pork. If the Democrats had been willing to compromise on that issue instead of demanding we expand the deficit even further, then things could have worked out the way you wanted.

Instead of considering those things or getting the facts straight, you just go for cheap emotionalism and accuse anyone wary of expanding the welfare state of wanting to kill your wife. That's a pretty serious accusation and before you use it, you better be damn sure it's true. After all, these are the people paying the bills to keep your wife alive. A little respect might be warranted.

wow, nicely said.

I disagree with the Repubs using millions of unemployed people as pawns for their political games against the opposition.

Yiz

Not pawns.....many believe enough is enough.....There are jobs out there.

Just not the jobs that people want but still will help pay the bills if managed properly.

Exactly

if people are waiting for jobs they WANT........they have at least 2 1/2 more years of waiting

Exactly

if people are waiting for jobs they WANT........they have at least 2 1/2 more years of waiting

Yup, in this climate, just take any ole job on the way to the one you really want. Just a fact of economic life. But wait.....a lot of 9 dollar an hour jobs are being taken by illegals. Nothing like muddling things up a bit, huh.....:lol:

Yup, in this climate, just take any ole job on the way to the one you really want. Just a fact of economic life. But wait.....a lot of 9 dollar an hour jobs are being taken by illegals. Nothing like muddling things up a bit, huh.....:lol:

No doubt. But I saw a job in San Francisco (Job hunting for my friend) for a golf cart attendant that started at $21/hr.......plus tips and free golf. I almost took it myself. That is a minimum wage job here. I emailed them. Turns out cart attendants are union out there......at least at city courses. Crazy stuff.

No doubt. But I saw a job in San Francisco (Job hunting for my friend) for a golf cart attendant that started at $21/hr.......plus tips and free golf. I almost took it myself. That is a minimum wage job here. I emailed them. Turns out cart attendants are union out there......at least at city courses. Crazy stuff.

Wow. On another tangent, my step-son is an elevator mechanic; unionized, too, of course, but the danged kid's making 51 bucks an hour with occasional overtime. Get a load of that, hey!?

Wwo. On another tangent, my step-son is an elevator mechanic; unionized, too, of course, but the danged kid's making 51 bucks an hour with occasional overtime. Get a load of that, hey!?

Wow..... that is pretty good. To make that here you pretty much have to own a business or be in medical, legal or defense.

Wow..... that is pretty good. To make that here you pretty much have to own a business or be in medical, legal or defense.

You guys have a load of elevator mechanics down there, too.

i thought 80k a yr for elevator mechanic was the norm.. at least 8 years ago.

My stepson has been in that business for about 5 years now and he has made 100k a yr for the last 3......they are one of the highest paid pros of their kind in the world. Full bene pkg, too, of course.

My stepson has been in that business for about 5 years now and he has made 100k a yr for the last 3......they are one of the highest paid pros of their kind in the world. Full bene pkg, too, of course.

That's awesome. While at the courts this morning I saw a broken elevator and thought of this thread. :P

I got stuck in an elevator in Austin when I went down there for a DHH. We were trapped for a long time. I would have paid a bunch to get out of there..... :lol:

I got stuck in an elevator in Austin when I went down there for a DHH. We were trapped for a long time. I would have paid a bunch to get out of there..... :lol:

I've gotten stuck in elevators several times.. My worst was:

Prom night. 9 of us in tuxedos.. Elevator gets stuck halfway between floors. :shock:

It was very crowded in there. Then it got hot and steamy in there... (pun intended.) I was like lets get out of here, and pulled the doors apart and held it apart while everyone carefully jumped out downwards trying not to get dirty in their black tux's. We got out alright.

Got a lawnmower? Paint brush? Broom? Car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back